Michael Bisping vs. Jorge Rivera on tap for UFC 127

This past weekend, Jorge Rivera sat helplessly backstage at UFC 122 while news broke his opponent, Alessio Sakara, would be withdrawing from their co-headlining bout due to illness. However, while Rivera watched an important opportunity unexpectedly slip away in Germany, it appears another, far greater one presented itself to the respected middleweight while backstage at the event.

According to a conversation with Swedish outlet Kimura, “El Conquistador” revealed he will be fighting Michael Bisping at UFC 127 in Sydney this February.

Rivera, who has emerged victor in his last three fights, also made it clear he already had a loose gameplan entering the upcoming match-up, saying, “I not only want the fight – I want to f*ck him up.”

The Brit will represent the highest-profile opponent the Northeasterner has faced since returning to the UFC after competing in the Ultimate Fighter Season 4. “The Count”, who is easily the company’s biggest star in the UK, has transitioned his TUF 3 title-win into a good deal of success inside (and out of) the Octagon. He holds an overall record of 20-3 and most recently won back-to-back bouts against Yoshihiro Akiyama and Dan Miller.

UFC 127 is scheduled for February 27th and, in addition to Bisping vs. Rivera, is rumored to feature a clash between well-rounded welterweight contenders Chris Lytle and Carlos Condit. The show marks the UFC’s second venture into Australia and will come almost exactly a year after this past February’s UFC 110.

• Dominance says:

I am far from a Bisping fan but man this is a step DOWN for him…brutal. I guess it’s good to know that Rivera will fight to the end though

• boomnutz says:

while I agree that this is a step down for Bisping it’s also a dangerous stylistic matchup for him…unless Bisping decides to take him down and GnP or go for a sub…but he usually likes to stand and i think he runs a risk of getting beat on his feet against Rivera

• While i think this may be a step down in competition for the count, Jorge is TOUGH as nails. We are talkin about a guy who’s only lost recently to Martin Kapman(who is no pushover) and never took a step back against those he has lost against. I think the Count better not take him lightly…or he could be lookin up at the lights again.

but I do think The Bisping will use his superior footwork and technique to grind out a decision…or to take it to the mat and get a sub.

• JabCrossHook says:

I think Bisping can take him down and pound him out, look at what he did against Dennis Kang…

• Angry Mike says:

Rivera’s lost by ko to heavy handed strikers like Leben and Terry Martin. Bisping doesn’t have that kind of power, and I’m not impressed with Bisping’s grappling or submissions. Bisping has been ko’d by Henderson, and has survived or won by decision because by moving away rather than engaging. If Rivera can cut off the octagon and put his hands on Bisping, Rivera wins imo. If he can’t, Bisping wins by yet another decision.

• boomnutz says:

if everyone basically agrees, why’d i get a thumbs down…GAY. Anyway, I’m glad we all basically agree that Bisping is a little bitch and want him to lose (or that’s the feeling i get anyway)…Bisping has a pretty good ground game he just has faced guys with better ground games as of late, Kang is no slouch on the ground, but the reason why i said that is that i have a buddy who just started training at the same gym as Rivera, and my buddy who JUST started has rolled with him and says he kinda sucks and that a lot of guys will tool on him on the ground…obviously they’re not sparring with the dude

• Rich S. says:

More importantly, this is a huge step UP for Rivera.

I will root for Rivera, but I have to pick Bisping to win by decision.

not interested in this match up at all…

• bigbadjohn says:

least favorite fighter in the UFC… Bisping is mund numbingly

• bigbadjohn says:

Bisping is my least favorite fighter in the UFC. Who else talks as much shit and routinely follows it up with an aggressionless decision victory? Bisping is as boring as Fitch and Shields in my opinion…Even on his feet. His fights are like drawn out sparring sessions but he talks like he’s Mike Tyson

• MCM says:

I agree JabCrossHook. He’s been in there with some pretty heavy handed fighters before and has only been finished once. I think he takes this to the ground early and finishes it in the 1st. I also don’t think Jorge is much of a step down for Bisping. This is kind of the level that Bisping fights at. I’d really like to see him step up his game after this and take on a Maia or Marquardt fighter. If he wants a title shot he’s gonna have to start fighting guys in the top 5 and not just top 15-20.

• bigbadjohn says:

Oops i scrapped my first post (or i thought) but it still showed up, damn mobile throws me for a loop sometimes

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

This could be career changing for Rivera if he gets the W-I have the fight as a draw at this point-I see them being very competitive with eachother

• jasonah says:

I remember back in the day,Riveria and Rich franklin had one hell of a fight.I see Jorge getting in Bisbings face and pushing him back.I would like to see him flatten bisbing, but that will not most likely happen.bisbing will do his patented, go in and throw some shots and then back pedal for the rest of three rounds.The only reason i watch Michael the “Decision” Bisbing Fight is because I want to see him get beat up. Needless to say I’m not a fan of Bisbing.I see a long road to the title if he does not finish fight’s.

• JabCrossHook says:

MCM, it would def. be the smartest thing to do if Bisping took it to the ground and tried to use his ground and pound. He was able to TD Dennis Kang after getting dropped by a huge right hand. That says a lot about the type of fighter Bisping is. In my opinion since I train in striking he has a lot of bad defense habits that he needs to patch up so he can avoid being hit, he leaves himself open after the first few shots and usually evades with footwork not with his hands. While evading with your footwork is nice if you can’t use your hands to block or just have them on the side of your face would save him a lot of trouble. He managed to get rocked after getting KTFO’d by Hendo, Wanderlai dropped him, Dennis Kang did as well, Akiyama rocked him a few times. With the exception of Dan Miller who never really gave him any trouble on the feet.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

I see Rivera winning this.

• Dufresne says:

The main problem I’ve seen in Rivera’s game lately has been his cardio, and I think Bisping is going to try and exploit that. I see Bisping circling and using his jab, and maybe a few leg kicks, to keep Rivera at bay while making Rivera chase him for the first round and a half or so. After that I see Bisping putting together just enough combinations and maybe a takedown or two to get the UD.

Personally I hope Bisping keeps up his very stupid habit of circling to his opponents right and gets touched on the chin by Rivera’s power punch. And by “touched” I mean “f-ing smashed.”

• stone says:

I got Jorge Rivera winning this damn fight… Not only winning but finishing that sucker!… Can’t stand Bisping and his back pedaling style

• cutman says:

He couldn’t f-up anyone….But he will probably win by f-ing boring Rivera and the rest of us to DEATH..Shut up Bisblang……

• MickeyC says:

That has got to be one of the worst port. tattoos I have ever seen!!!