Pat Barry vs. Joey Beltran added to January 22nd UFC event

It appears affable heavyweight Pat Barry is poised to make his return to the Octagon in early 2011 after breaking a hand and foot in a loss to Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic at UFC 115 this past June.

The hard-hitting Louisianan announced today via his Twitter page that he will be fighting fellow striker Joey Beltran on January 22nd at the UFC’s upcoming “Fight for the Troops” event scheduled to take place at Fort Hood in Texas.

Based on both individuals’ previous performances it seems safe to assume grappling should be a non-existent discipline when Barry and Beltran battle in the cage, as the 12-4 “Mexicutioner” has earned ten of his wins by way of TKO with Barry notching all five of his career victories in the same manner.

Their fight rounds out what should be an excellent line-up come showtime, as a headlining bout between lightweight contenders Ken Florian and Evan Dunham is scheduled for the card, as is a scrap between Melvin Guillard and Yves Edwards in addition to match-ups featuring Mike Swick and Matt Mitrione.

I think it’s a step back for him but Barry better take this opportunity to let loose and put on a memorable performance… let emm bang!

• For sure a step back for Barry….but then again he’s never beaten anyone of any real standing. I like Barry’s style goin to war in every fight(except how he let Mirko up constantly) but unless he rounds out his game, he wont last in the ufc for very much longer.

• danw84 says:

Pat Barry wins this fight by way of being Pat Barry.

• fanoftna33 says:

I thought Beltran looked very good against Mitreon in the first round, controlling him standing and on the ground, but taking the fight late didnt help his gas tank. I am going with Beltran here.

• Angry Mike says:

I think Barry’s fractures in the Cro Cop fight were in the first round. That would certainly explain why he faded. I’m going with him against Beltran. Beltran’s loss to Mitrione, who’s still very rough, tells me Beltran isn’t ready for Barry. Barry by ko, probably in the first.

• Sykotick says:

Pat shouldd take this, fairly handily.

IMO Antoni Hardonk is a much better atriner then Beltran and Pat smashed Hardonk fairly easily.

I think Barry could probably hang with some of the strikers in K-1 with his power

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

I actually like this match up from an entertainment view-If Beltran doesn’t work on his kick defense it could be a very short night for him though

• MCM says:

Sykotick,
    Pat Barry was a K-1 kickboxer before he started MMA. He trained for years under Ernesto Hoost. That said, I think people are underestimating Beltran. He’s a hell of a tough fighter and the fact that he lost to Mitrione on short notice shouldn’t be held against him too much. Either way, it’s gonna be a damn exciting fight, but I think the Mexicutioner might take this one on the score cards.

It sure would be nice to get Heath Herring on this card.

• danw84 says:

What’s with all the Heath Herring talk lately? I haven’t heard about him since he fought Lesnar, but I’ve seen him brought up a lot lately through a few MMA sites.

• JOEgun says:

i dont think this fight is too much of a step back for Barry at all. I think Beltran is definitely being underestimated. Barry needs to use his kicks of course but Beltran has good power and a good chin too. Im not sure who to pick. It should be a good stand up battle for sure

• MCM says:

-danw84
    I’ve been bringing Herring up in every article on 5oz that talks about the Fight for the Troops card. He hasn’t fought since Lesnar and that’s mostly due to his issues with Zuffa management.
    I figure with 4 or 5 guys in the UFC HW division basically trading off the top 4 or 5 spots and Gonzaga gone, it’s time for a new HW gatekeeper. There are some up and comers in the division but no one with as much skill and experience as Heath that hasn’t hit a major down slide of their career.
    Plus it’s amusing to me.

Heath Herring 2012!

• @MCM
    If trouble with Zuffa management means Herring wants way more money than he’s worth to perform, then that’s correct. He said that he cant afford to fight for 40k a fight. Posting a 2-3 record in the UFC with your better victory being Kongo, I can understand why he doesnt fight anymore nor why the UFC would be willing to pay him as his legacy in pride hasn’t endeared him to alot of the casual fans lately. He was brought back for Brock to beat up, and he did his job well. But if Im not mistaken he owns a resturaunt or something in texas and is doing well for himself in his business endeavors. Good for him.

• MCM says:

Last I heard him say was that he was making way more money doing those crappy movies than actually fighting. He got paid 140K for the Brock fight but said his camp cost about 100k. I think the UFC wouldn’t have a problem bringing him back but he doesn’t seem to want to deal with Dana. As for the casual fans, just keep showing that clip of Yoshihiro Nakao kissing Heath and getting KO’d and people will know who he is.
    But come on man! He’s the Texas Crazy Horse and this fight is in Texas! Heath, go train at Nelson’s “Country Club” for the price of a few nights out at O.C.B., finish one more fight in the UFC in front of the troops, then ride off into the sunset.

• nothing_shank says:

Sorry, completely off topic, but…Brendhan, where’s Grappling With Issues? Its 7:30AM Saturday morning, and I still haven’t gotten my weekly GWI fix.