Jon Fitch rumored for fight at UFC 126

It looks as though the UFC’s annual “Super Bowl Weekend” card has added another highly-ranked fighter to its line-up in the form of Jon Fitch. However, rather than fighting one of his “Top 5” peers it appears Fitch will instead square off against rising welterweight Jake Ellenberger at the event.

News of the potential match-up was reported by MMAJunkie, where it was also stated bout-agreements were in place and at least one of the involved competitors had signed.

Ellenberger is 22-5 and is coming off back-to-back TKO wins in the Octagon over John Howard and Mike Pyle. His only loss in the UFC came via a razor-thin split decision to Carlos Condit in September 2009 at Fight Night 19. He has only been finished once in his career while racking up fourteen knockouts and five submissions in his twenty-two total victories.

The American Kickboxing Academy’s Fitch will clearly be the toughest test Ellenberger has faced to date if the bout does eventually materialize in an official sense. Fitch has won his last five fights and 21 of his last 22 (with the lone exception being a unanimous decision loss to UFC welterweight champ Georges St. Pierre at UFC 87).

UFC 126 is scheduled for February 5th, 2011 in Las Vegas at the Mandalay Bay Events Center. Other pairings believed to be occurring at the stacked event include 185-pound champion Anderson Silva defending his belt against Vitor Belfort, former title-holders Forrest Griffin and Rich Franklin squaring off, top light heavyweight contenders Jon Jones and Ryan Bader mixing it up, and a battle between respected lightweights Evan Dunham and Ken Florian.

• hindsightufuk says:

sounds like a nice card, i really like Jake Ellenberger, been following his prgress for a long time, and i fancy him to find a way to win this.
    it seems everyone hates Jon Fitch these days but i enjoy watching him

• Creature says:

this card is looking sick, im gonna have 2 go with fitch winning this, not because hes 1 of my favoritefighters but because hes just that good, and has beatin everyone hes fought in the UFC who isnt named GSP.. i wonder who there gonna give condit next tho?

• MCM says:

I like Ellenberger and Fitch. Although I don’t know why Fitch would take this fight. It does nothing for him in the standings (#2), and only serves as a paycheck.
    Ellenberger is no walk in the park though. He’s got great wrestling is a pretty good striker. But he’s basically a smaller version of Fitch without the subs.
    It’s tough to call anything but a W for Fitch but this could turn out to be a very good fight if Jake can keep it standing. and he has the skils too.

• Guthookd says:

I dont’ see it happening, but I hope Ellenburger can take the W. We need some new faces in the WW title picture and what better place to start than with the destruction of the #2 contender.

Great looking card too. I might actually buy this one.

• stone says:

This card is lookin DAMN GOOD!… I’m sick of Fitch grind-out fights… Jake don’t train on nothing but cardio and elbows from the bottom!!! Stop this dude with a vicious gash above his left eye! “Doctor stoppage” Fitch and be my new favorite fighter! GOOD LUCK JAKE!!!

• Swing Em says:

Awesome card

Don’t be surprised if Jake gives him a tough fight, but until i see it i think Fitch gets his trademark UD win.

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

Damn-I really want Jake to beat Fitch-If for anything so that we have someone who will fight anyone-Fitch has turned himself into an obstacle that has messed up the UFC WW division

• Midget says:

I get the impression that this might be the UFC saying to Fitch, here is an opponent not ranked in the Top 5, so here is your chance to finish a fight rather than him grinding out another UD over a top ranked opponent. If he can finish, it might be all he needs to get that second title shot finally, after Shields.

• mma.Australia says:

We all hate watching Fitch, he’s boring and its a safer bet on a UD when he’s involved than betting the sun will come up in the morning, however you shouldn’t hate on him.

He doesn’t cheat, al la watch my nuts and shorts Mr Kongo, and is actually a good sport.

If its deemed he’s laying and praying, alter the rules a little towards stand ups for nominal damage or negligible advance of position. He fights within the rules and he wins. Its like saying its unfair to wrestle a British fighter because they often lack ground games, train to combat it! Sotirops and Bisping!

I hate one sided man cuddles, but its within the rules, it wins and this is a sport, not entertainment, and the further away from entertainment and the closer to a respected sport we get, the better!

• elkymbo says:

Yeah yeah yeah everyone respects Fitch and his skills. But he is the most boring fighter in mma and believe it or not I watch mma to be entertained as much as to watch the fighters skill set. I agree he is messing up the division simply by being there. I hope he gets destroyed and finally dislodged from the number two spot. The ww division needs him gone.

• Creature says:

i think jake shields is way more boring then fitch, at least fitch had some stand up exchanges with alves, wherei believe he did just fine, u will never see shields even attempt that in the least bit

• fanoftna33 says:

Ellenberger has the power to really hurt people, and good wrestling but nowhere near Fitch level wrestling. I think Jon will win this fight by tiring Jake out for 2 rounds and then getting a finish in the third.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

In Fitch’s last 10 fights 8 have gone the distance ( the last 8 in a row). He has either lost the ability to finish or he isn’t trying, either way i can’t stand him. Of Shields last 10 fights he has finished 8.
    I don’t want him gone, I just want him to finish or be finished. Honestly I would rather not watch him, he stinks cards up. Just when you are really starting to enjoy the event a Fitch fight comes on and for 20 mins at least.

• elkymbo says:

Agreed Shields is boring Creature but Fitch throwing a couple of punches doesn’t make him exciting. It’s a sad state of affairs when the two top contenders for the ww title are both boring to watch. Imagine the two of them fighting for the number 1 contenders spot (which, incidentally, is what should be happening). I couldn’t think of a bigger snooze fest in mma.

• Creature says:

i disagree, i think fitch would be able 2 stuff a decent amount of the takedowns, and do what kampmann should have done and expose shields horrible stand up most of the fight, i dont think it would be a boring wrestling/jujistu match at all honestly lol

• elkymbo says:

I suppose it would be a chance to see if Fitch has any stand up…..I stick by my snooze fest of the year call though 😉