Cage of Horrors!

From the moment Teila Tuli’s tooth went flying from Gerard Gordeau’s perfectly-placed kick at UFC 1 it was clear Mixed Martial Arts was not a sport for the feint of heart. Since then fans have been “treated” to a number of gruesome injuries and more blood than your run-of-the-mill slasher flick.

In the honor of the kinship shared between horror-friendly Halloween and the sometimes-scary sights of MMA, Five Ounces of Pain is providing readers with a walk down maceration lane. What you will see in the space below is not meant for the squeamish to see, but have no fear as none of the afflictions you’ll see were career-altering injuries. There will be cuts like canyons and mouses the size of rats but no broken bones or shredded limbs.

Read ahead…if you dare…and have a wonderful Halloween!

—–

Joe Stevenson

Wanderlei Silva

Ross Pointon

Diego Sanchez

Marvin Eastman

Martin Kampmann

Miguel Torres

Nick Diaz

Kazushi Sakuraba

• fanoftna33 says:

I saw most of these cuts live but damm, thoes are nasty.

• MCM says:

I had never seen the Kampman or Torres cuts. DAMN! you could see skull in that.

how ’bout Struve when he’s locking on the choke of Stojnic…..or if you want to show broken bones the Cory Hill leg kick is pretty gruesome.

• Dufresne says:

I was talking about the worst cuts I’d seen in MMA a few days ago and most of these were on the list. There was another one I remember, but I don’t remember who is was.
    It was a black guy and he got cut by an elbow on the side of his head. It bled like a faucet for what seemed like forever before the ref paused the fight to let the doc look at it. I do remember it was a UFC fight, and I think it was in either late 2002 or early 2003 (I remember the apartment I was in). I was amazed the guy had enough blood left in him to stand without swaying when they announced the fight. Craziness.

• cocoonofhorror says:

i approve this article.

• primetime says:

The Martin Kampmann injury happened during training right before his UFC 111 fight against Ben Saunders…

• hindsightufuk says:

Dufresne, you’re not thinking about the Joe Stevenson Yves Edwards bloodbath are you? it was circa 06 i think, Yves bled like fuck across one side of the cage for most of the second round.
    or there was the one with Jorge Rivera, cant remember who against, on a UFN undercard that never got aired cos it was too bloody? it may not even have been Rivera.
    i’m glad there is no broken/dislocated bones on there, that makes me fucking sick! seen a few nasty snappings up close and they make me feel quite queesy. blood i dont mind.

• Dufresne says:

That’s the one.
    I remembered it being the apartment I had a year before I graduated, I just substituted in the wrong graduation, lol.

And I’m with you on the bone/joint injuries. I don’t mind blood one bit and broken bones usually don’t mess with me too much, but when it’s a significant break where the limb goes the complete wrong direction or when the elbow or knee is involved it turns my stomach.
    I’ve hyper-extended each of my knees and one of my elbows and I have to say I’d much rather have my arm broken before going through any of those again.

• Brendhan Conlan says:

I looked for pics of Edwards/Stevenson and Gideon Ray vs. Edwin Dewees but couldn’t find any.

• Im not sure what makes that first pic more awesome….Joe daddy’s head wound or the fact that he’s crying like he’s caught in one of Jigsaw’s traps.

What about Jorge Rivera gettin that big cut on his melon from The Crow?

Forrest’s lightening bolt from Shogun was super nasty too!

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Saku really got f#cked up. That was Arona’s handy work was it not.

• hindsightufuk says:

Yeah Arona basically kneed him in the head for 15 minutes, that was hard to watch, still cant believe his corner never stopped it, poor bastard

• Creature says:

i was kinda hoping they would show chris lylte durning or after his fight with kos, there was quite a bit of blood during that fight if i remember correctly

• nothing_shank says:

The dewees cut was the bloodiest mess I think I’ve ever seen. It was nicely accentuated by his insanely blonde hair. The entire mat was like a pinkish purple.
    They shouldve also put Mayhem in there where his whole head is covered in crimson, and he’s smiling like he just won the damn lottery. Hilarious!