Randy Couture mulling future in the ring after “novelty” fights

For an already-retired fighter, former UFC double-divisional champion Randy Couture has done fairly well for himself inside the Octagon since originally stating he was walking away from the sport in 2006. With a return to the ring a year later, Couture has notched wins in five of his last seven bouts including a title-win over Tim Sylvia.

However, “The Natural” recently spoke with ESPN’s ”MMA Live” and insinuated he may finally be taking a permanent break from Mixed Martial Arts competition based on where he sees himself within the UFC’s internal rankings.

“I’ve had my wars, I’ve had my battles…I’ve been there, done that…I am competing and training, and I feel better than I’ve ever felt physically,” Couture began. “But, I don’t see myself making another run at the title, heavyweight or light heavyweight.”

He also joked about NFL quarterback Brett Favre’s approach to calling it quits, saying he didn’t want to take the flip-flop route or make a premature official announcement, but did make his feelings clear on the status of his career, saying, “I think at some point I’ve got to call enough ‘enough’.”

When asked to elaborate on the situation, the 47-year old Couture referred to his most-recent match-ups against James Toney and Mark Coleman.

“You know, I’ve had an amazing year…my last two fights, in all honesty, were novelty fights. Not to take anything away from my opponents, but that’s the truth of the matter. They didn’t really matter in the division, they didn’t put me any closer to a title. And, you know, I have to make a decision at some point. So I think I would entertain another novelty-type fight – I can still compete – but I don’t see myself making a run at the title any time soon.”

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

I see his point. Only real big fight I can see would be with Fedor and we all know the situation with that mess. If he does retire he can walk away proud even tho part of me wants to see him fight again.

• hindsightufuk says:

thats a good statement from randy. I love the guy and i would hate to see him against someone who can really do damage to him. it just isnt necessary at this stage in his life. i think he could still hang with most of the fighters in lhw because of his grappling, but i dont think he will ever be getting stoppages in his favor like he used to. plus his chin is questionable now, even mark coleman backed him up once or twice, and mark has never even dropped his shorts before. dont wanna see the guy the hurt.

• Angry Mike says:

When you’re used to competing at an elite level, it’s easier to talk about retirement than to actually do it. That’s why so many athletes hang on even after their skills have diminished. Couture may not be the fighter he was 10 years ago, but he’s still competitive. He isn’t at the point where he’s risking serious injury by continuing to fight. I still enjoy watching him, so if he sticks around for a few more years, that’s alright with me.

• Dufresne says:

I’m kinda split on this.

Part of me wants to see Randy fight for the next 50 years. The guy is 100% heart and always shows up ready to go.

The other part wants Randy to retire and work as a coach, cornerman, and/or commentator.

I don’t want to see one of the icons of the sport get injured and have to go out limping while holding onto a teammates shoulder. I’d much rather see him go out with his head high and that big, goofy grin on his face.

• sides666 says:

Randy has always and will always be one of my favorite fighters. I want randy to keep fighting but its for selfish reasons i just want to see how far he can go. Sadly there comes a time when your body says no and that usually happens to fighters in there late thirtys joe rogan said it best that guys my hero

• jasonah says:

I wish, Randy was about ten years younger then he is.Because I would love to watch him fight for ten more years.But he knows that he is past his prime,and I would hate to see him up against some of the Wrecking [email protected] or @H.W.Hopefully Dana will round up Some “Novelty” Fights for him, he still is a huge draw.I would be willing to watch him beat the shit out of Tito one more time.The U.F.C should start up the seniors division.It would be cool to watch the old dogs still scrap it out. Randy,Chuck,Dan Severn,Jeremy Horn,Mark Coleman,Royce Gracie,There is a whole list of fighters,That are past there prime that pepole would pay to watch.

• LiverPunch says:

Oh go on, just hand him another title shot. It is Randy after all. Maybe give him the winner of Dos Santos vs Valasquez. At least this time he would have WON his last fight before his title shot, which in Randy’s career is rare. Only about 4 out of his 9 I title shots I believe. So please just round it off to 10. I know he hasn’t earned it but did he earn 9 other shots with a record of 19-10? That is about a title shot of some sort every 3rd fight.
    I hope he fights Chuck again. I enjoyed 2 of those 3.
    God bless Randy, you were 1 of the bes…er … most overrrat … um … most popular ever.

• LiverPunch says:

Sorry I think he only had 7 or 8 title shots. It was that he had LOST every 3rd fight. I new it was something to do with every 3rd fight. But with such high caliber opponents such as Toney (0-1), V. Overeem (28-25), Yangisawa (24-25), Smith (13-14), Randleman (17-15), Graham (2-1), Halme (13-6), Van Arsdale (8-5) and an old, pathetic Coleman (16-10) it is understandable having such a record. Actually I’m being unfair, it was every 2 and a bit fights that he lost. A true champion.

• MCM says:

-LP.
    Van Arsdale was 8-1 when they fought, so was Gonzaga. Timmay was 23-2. Belfort 4-0 the first time and 11-3 the second. Otiz was 10-2, Rizzo 11-1, and Randleman was 9-3. He had only 6 fights under his belt when he beat Jeremy Horn who had over 45 wins at the time, and he broke Liddell’s 10 fight 3 year win streak. So yeah, totally overrated.
    Plus he won’t even admit to the fact that he’s 47 and won’t ever be able to make a run at either the HW or LHW title again and he can’t admit the fact that his last two fights were “novelty” fights and that’s all he really has left for his career so it’s no wonder everyone hates this guy.

• MCM says:

Novelty fights I’d like to see for Randy (some of which will most likely never happen):

Fedor – It’s a dream fight most of the MMA community has been wanting for years. Even though it may not be as competitive as it once was, it’s still hard to completely count out Captain America.
    CroCop – Again, not as competitive as it once may have been, but fuck it, it’s still CroCop.
    Wanderlei – Wandy may be thinking he has the chance for a MW title run, but I’d still love to see him back up in LHW for a fight with Couture.
    Mike Tyson – Fucking right.

I’m sure Randy can think of others and there may be some already in the works, but putting any of those fights on a PPV is a guaranteed money maker IMO.

• bigbadjohn says:

You guys have seen ‘Rocky Balboa’ (the most recent one), Randy will return only when some up-and-coming punk drags his name through the mud claiming he would’ve beat the Legend in his prime. Then, the lights will be bright, the crowd cheering and naysayers licking their chops but as always Randy won’t disappoint.

• I right this a as if Randy will end up reading this.

Randy, you are a Hero that can good willing do whatever he wants to venture into. I would love to see you fight whoever whenever you want until you are a 79 year old gate keeper for the UFC just looking as if you turned 50. You are a amazing representation of class World Champion and always . . truly humble in defeat. Step in any direction you want to Randy.

• Creature says:

wow looks like liverpunch is hating on yet another great fighter just cuz his name isnt fedor.. thats a big surprise

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Randy was never “great”.
    Sorry but his career stats and win loss ratio shows that. A legend and a great man but not a great fighter. Liverpunch you took this too far but I guess you were trying to throw the cat amongst the proverbial. I have to agree on most points though and I am also sick of hearing how great he is or was when evidence says otherwise. Dude is cool and I have enjoyed a few of his fights but hero worship is blind. He had a few very good wins, which were upsets at the time like Chuck and Timmy. His win over Gonzaga was tainted by the head clash and his victory over Ortiz was weak, he just held him down for 5 rds doing minimal damage.
    I have to give respect for acknowledging that his last 2 fights were novelty fights though. Like I said the man is a legend but he was never a great fighter I can’t ever say he was the best at his weight class ever, be it LHW or HW and I think the fact that he could never hold on to a title proves that. Which also makes me think, how many titles would he have won if, like most others, he had to earn them.

Creature from what I’ve read LP just states facts about Fedor when people hate on Fedor, much like he has done here (except in reverse). If he is wrong argue back with facts and insight. As far as I can see he isn’t making up anything. Focusing on the negative, yes but talking shit he is not.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Just though I would add. Did you know with his win over Toney it was the first time he has won 3 fights in a row in a decade. Is that “great” when guys like Shields have won 15 in a row against some of the worlds best?.
    I wish you well Randy, honestly I do but your legacy will be one of legend and not greatness in my book.

• Dufresne says:

Personally, the reason I justify calling him a great fighter, even with 19-10 record, is that he managed to do it against some of the best in two different weight classes with some of his most impressive wins at an age well past when most fighters are being told to hang it up.

Sure he’s not the most dominant or the biggest finisher in the game, but he’s been in MMA, and most impressively in my opinion, he’s been relevant in MMA since pretty close to the beginning. How many other fighters are there that started MMA in the mid/late 90’s that are still considered among the top 25?

But like I said, that’s just my personal opinion.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Yeah it all depends on your definition of great I guess but 5-3 at LHW and 7-5 at HW over the last 10 years is just not enough to put him up there with the very best for me.
    I have no problem giving him the legend tag though, I don’t think even LP would deny him that.
    Please don’t bother trying LP.

• Creature says:

i Guess it does depend on ur definition of “great” i wont argue that, but i agree with dufrense and was just saying in my eyes hes great even if his record isnt the most spectacular.

• mma.Australia says:

Randy is a legend; of sportmanship, attitude, professionalism and of mma.

Fedor is a quality fighter… Who would beat Randy.

Randy still has relevance, not like Matt Hughes or Franklin, but is a Top 10.

Let’s see him battle Filipovic, Schaub, Tito, Chuck or a Madsen or Struve.

I believe he’s still competitive enough for a Bellator or SF top gun, Fedor excluded.

I think the wise choice is LHW though.

• mma.Australia says:

And whatever happened to Toney’s multi-farce, I mean fight, contract?

• MMA-LOGIC says:

I would love to see Couture vs Hendo. I know it wont happen but it would be a great fight.
    I hope he gets a job as a analyst. His insight would be great. Hell I think in time he could be the presenter or main member of a com team one day. I think it is time for some new blood in that area.