Hominick Out, Grispi In for Title Bout vs. Jose Aldo

It appears Jose Aldowill not be defending his UFC featherweight championship against Mark Hominick, as had been previously reported, who has opted out due to injury. Rather, it turns out the talented youngster will instead be facing Josh “The Fluke” Grispi at UFC 125 on January 1st, 2011.

News of the switch was reported by Heavy.com.

In a press conference earlier this week, UFC President Dana White stated that he considered Aldo one of the top three pound-for-pound fighters in the world. The Brazilian Muay Thai fighter is on an 11-fight winning streak, and has won all eight of his WEC bouts–with only one fight going to decision. His most recent outing was an impressive knockout victory over Manny Gamburyan, and he holds notable wins over Urijah Faber, Mike Brown, and Cub Swanson.

Grispi was signed by the WEC after going 10-1 in smaller organizations and currently holds a record of 14-1. He is coming off of a first-round technical submission victory over L.C. Davis. The guillotine earned him “Submission of the Night” honors. Grispi also defeated Jens Pulver and Mark Hominick by submission and defeated Micah Miller by TKO.

Need MMA gear? Get 25% off everything through November 1st at Elite MMA. Gloves, shorts, rashguards, Thai pads, punching bags and more.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Fair trade. This guy Grispi is a good fighter.
    Since he refused the fight against Florian when it was offered that is.
    Would have made him a bigger name, more money, more recognition and the P4P dude on everyones lips if he had beaten Florian but I guess he is right to play it safe and fight guys in his comfort zone. I guess ducking fights has its advantages, you are less likely to lose that way.

Wow I can feel the thumbs down already.

• Sykotick says:

Serious dude? Really? Aldo duckin opponents cuz he didn’t want to fight outside of his weightclass?

Let us back up the “ducking fights express” here and talk about a guy that has everyone on his jockey shorts, why did Fedor fight Werdum instead of Overeem? And now that its been offered again (I believe) why is he not fighting him, but instead pushing for a rematch? Obviously Reem posts more of a danger to him then Dum, is he ducking? Answer that

• fanoftna33 says:

Damm I ish we could see him fight Hominick, I think that would make for a very exciting fight. That said does Aldo remind anybody else of a young Brazillian Phenom, a guy taking MMA by storm with great striking that his trainers say has even better BJJ than hands.
    Yes I am talking about Vitor Belfort who had the same hype behind him for quite a while. I dont mind the guy not taking the Florian fight I mean he has only defended the title twice, at least let him prove he has cleaned out the division before moving up.

• MickeyC says:

let me be the first to disagree with you. I will admit I was disapointed when he turned down the kenny fight. But I now realize he had first hand info we did not. I sure he knew about the merger then, and the new pressure that would be added. Plus with him in the UFC now there is plenty of time for those types of fights down the road. And to be honest even when he does I do not think it should be againt a guy in the top 3 in the weight class. Anderson fought james irvin before forest at 205 and he was now where near top 5. Kenny will have his hands full with the 155ers coming over. Man I want to see him and the cowboy.

• Dufresne says:

All this bs about fighters ducking other fighters needs to be thrown out of discussion. Seriously, how many of y’all can prove that Fedor was “ducking” Overeem, or that Randy was “ducking” Fedor, or that Aldo was “ducking” Florian? Find me some solid evidence. Not this stupid “he’s scared he’ll lose” crap either. I’m personally sick and tired of this crap being argued over every time any article mentions any of those 3 fighters.
    No one posting in these forums knows what’s going on behind those closed door negotiations. Sure one side can come out and say things like “The other party is being completely impossible and demanding absurd clauses” and none of us knows which side is telling the truth if either is. So to come out here and say that a fighter is ducking or scared of another fighter, or that they’re trying to maintain a win streak is just flat ignorant. You don’t know, I don’t know, and chances are the only people that actually do know aren’t going to tell us. So stop acting like jackasses towards each other. Damn.

• Sykotick says:

Dufresne

I agree the only reason I brought up the Fedor Overeem deal up was because of the ‘Aldo is afraid of Kenflo’ post, quite frankly you are right, we all make these assumptions about the fighters ducking or not ducking based on hearsay and while the hearsay isn’t exactly the best reliable sorce I’m sure you’ve heard ‘where there’s smoke, there’s fire’

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Fedor was scheduled to fight a higher ranked Werdum, who still holds a victory over Alistair, before Overeem, who had not fought in SF for 2 years, came back. Fedor wants to fight Overeem now but Overeem said no because of the flak he got for fighting Rogers who was also coming off a loss and because he is fighting in k1. So was he or is he ducking Overeem? no. You need to read up buddy. Overeem has been offered a fight with Fedor and turned it down stating he only wants Werdum in SF for now.
    Aldo was offered a fight against Florian and he and his camp refused. If you are after evidence just ask Aldo or read the articles titled something like “Jose Aldo declined December bout with Ken Florian”. He had no fight scheduled, he is in ZUFFA, there would have been talk of this being the big UFC vs WEC merge and it was on the table, all he had to do was agree.
    Yeah I’m saying he ducked Florian, why? because he did. Now you may think he had valid reasons BUT HE DID duck him, that is not in question, he openly says he (his team) turned down that fight.
    As far as I know with Fedor, it was only Overeem piping up and saying “he should be fighting me instead”. So Fedor was supposed to cancel his fight with Werdum and fight Overeem who was a paper champ and lower in rank just because Overeem wanted to crash the party?. Yeah Overeem was the SF champ on paper but does that mean anything when he not fought for that title in 2 years and the last top 10 opponent he fought was … HE HAD’NT FOUGHT ANY AT HW. Oh but give him a shot at the #1 because he had beaten Paul Buentello over 2 years ago in SF. Give me a break.
    Look this is a bit of an attack on Jose and a little unwarranted but I want to see how good he is and when I hear that fighters who are considered great turn down great match ups I feel robbed.
    Harden up Aldo and take the plunge, you can always drop back down if you are out of your depth at 155.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

@Dufrense. I agree with you on most points but Alistair said himself he turned down Fedor and why, that is also true with Aldo, he confirmed he turned down Florian.
    You are right but a spade is a spade and Aldo turned down the fight with Florian. Why?. He wants to stay at 145,. Why? …

• Dufresne says:

He wants to stay at 145,. Why? …

I’m gonna go out on a limb and say, because he’s currently the 145 champ and has never fought at 155.
    Or maybe because he’s only defended his belt twice now.
    Or maybe he just didn’t feel like jumping up a weight class to fight when he’s got several creditable opponents left at 145.
    Hell, he could simply have decided he’d rather spend that day sitting in his underwear eating brownies for all we know.

Regardless, none of those qualify as “ducking.”

• MMA-LOGIC says:

What does?
    I know what doesn’t, accepting the fight instead of turning it down. The fight with Florian was offered he turned it down. Fact.
    You, like you often do, are saying he didn’t duck because he had reasons. If you really think about it, everyone that ducks a fight has reasons, it is still ducking. Not the Ortiz vs Chuck kind but still.

P.S. Here is a quote from Soares on MOVING UP TO FIGHT AT 155 to fight Edgar.

“To be honest with you, if you were to say, What would be your dream fight for [Aldo]? I think a dream fight for him, which I think would just be a fight that everyone would love to see, would be Frankie Edgar vs. Jose Aldo,”

Now they have stated they want to go up to fight Edgar right. But he refused to fight Florian. Why is he not good enough? do their styles not match up enough?. We’ll just let Jose and Soares pick who they want to fight at 155 … and “duck” who they want also shall we?. The fight was on the table, it would have made his career if he had won, no doubt. Florian was keen, the UFC was keen, Jose and his team were not. Now they have reasons, so don’t tell me what they MIGHT be, just face the fact that he turned down a challenge from a top guy in a weight class his team (Soares) had stated they would love to fight the champion in, in fact he said to fight the 155 champ was a dream fight.
    Anyway I’m sick of this. To me if you say you want to fight the champ at a weight class and then you get a legit challenge from a top dude in that weight class and you refuse, it is a little like ducking to me.

• Well back to the point of this article. Good for Grispi and a possible great fight. Grispi can fight and he does have a victory over Hominick, plus a perfect record in the WEC so this makes more sense. Plus from a marketing standpoint, Hominick already has some respect as a guy who has fought at 155 in the ufc, and doesnt need much building, Grispi however can become an overnight sensation by beating or even giving Jose Aldo the first stern test of his career. Will he, maybe. Can he? Absolutely.

As for the ducking conversation, it doesnt really matter to me. I would’ve liked to see Jose fight Kenflo, but oh well it is what it is. They might meet down the road and I’ll be happy to watch it then. Now as for what will happen, I cant wait to see Benson take on the winner of Frankie vs. Gray. Im that confident on Bendo beating Pettis, and I think Benson is a beast. That’s are next LW champ in the ufc ladies and gentlemen.

• OUR next LW champ…damn it.

• this makes way more sense. the last tall guy to fight Jose was Jonathan Brookins, that guy from the Ultimate fighter. It took Jose 3 rounds to drop that guy and this Grispi guy is faster to finish which means he see well. If Grispy can keep the distance and avoid the leg kicks then there is a very good chance that Jose could go home without the Belt. I love Jose but it did take him a long time to figure out Brookins meaning Brookins had time to figure Jose out. It was a very good fight. Brookins is better now. I think jose is smart to stay in this weight class. He is young and and the weight class is just starting to blow up.

• Dufresne says:

I don’t see how fighting Florian would have “made his career.” And so his camp said they’d like to fight the LW champ. Florian isn’t the champ and isn’t even in the title picture right now. So again, I don’t see what he had to gain by going up a weight class to fight a guy that’s not a major contender right now. Wanting to test yourself against the best guy in a division and being offered the #4 or 5 guy is a bit different. If GSP wanted to fight Anderson and they offered him say, Damian Maia, do you think he’d be as excited about it?

Anderson did that, but only after he dismantled the MW division. Do you remember who the other contenders at MW were when he popped up to fight Irvin? I don’t.

How pissed off were people when BJ switched weight classes for a fight with GSP and the LW belt went undefended for over a year? And now people are calling for another guy to do that in a division that’s not nearly as stagnant as the LW division was when BJ wanted a 2nd crack at GSP?
    Doesn’t make sense to me.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

I think we disagree.
    Love your work Dufrense, don’t always agree but nonetheless …

• Dufresne says:

Likewise.

I’m perfectly happy with simply agreeing to disagree, especially if the other party is presenting a well thought out argument, which you are. So nothing personal MMA-LOGIC, we just see things differently :)