Cain Velasquez exits Anaheim the new UFC Heavyweight Champion

Fans flocking to the Honda Center for UFC 121 had an opportunity to see history in the making, as undefeated Latino heavyweight Cain Velasquez dominated Brock Lesnar throughout the duration of their headlining bout and walked away champion. Velasquez weathered an early charge from Lesnar and used technique to overcome the former title-holder’s brute strength. His subsequent TKO victory came a little more than four minutes into the fight.

Also successful at the event, though in less-convincing fashion, was Jake Shields. The former Strikeforce 185-pound champ, Shields, did little damage to opponent Martin Kampmann, but was able to use superior grappling to hold the Dutchman down for fifteen minutes and escape a number of submission attempts in the process. The performance netted him a split-decision victory.

The full list of “UFC 121: Lesnar vs. Velasquez” live results is as follows:

Jon Madsen def. Gilbert Yvel via TKO Round 1
Chris Camozzi def. Dongi Yang via Split Decision
Sam Stout def. Paul Taylor via Split Decision
Daniel Roberts def. Mike Guymon via Submission Round 1 (Anaconda Choke)
Tom Lawlor def. Patrick Cote via Unanimous Decision
Court McGee def. Ryan Jensen via Submission Round 3 (Arm-Triangle Choke)
Brendan Schaub def. Gabriel Gonzaga via Unanimous Decision
Matt Hamill def. Tito Ortiz via Unanimous Decision
Diego Sanchez def. Paulo Thiago via Unanimous Decision
Jake Shields def. Martin Kampmann via Split Decision
Cain Velasquez def. Brock Lesnar via TKO Round 1

• gueda says:

brock lesner never was the badest man on the planet , never be and never will be. it’s just a fraud to make money from good fan who they think we are retarded.cain valascez is not bad but i don’t think that he will be champion for very long..sorry. none of them would a stand a chance at fédor.i don’t have a prefer side but i just look at it with my fan eyes and somewhere some people think that we are stupid i guest. good congadulation to m”s valascez ..it was a pretty easy one againt a 360 pound turtule..lolll the event was very ordinary exept for the fight with sanchez.

• Niv says:

gueda I have to agree with you. Congratulations to Cain for winning a solid win without question and a worthy Champ.

Having said that I did state the same thing after Brock’s previous win that inspite of the guts he showed that fight only proved that these guys were not the baddest man on the planet as been sold to mma fans.

His achievments for an inexperienced fighter are still something to respect, but there have always been huge flaws in his game and Cain proved that a smaller fighter with superior skills can still decimate a Goliath like Brock.

I don’t want to rain on Velsquez parade anymore but I fully expect him to lose his next fight as I still think JDS is the UFC’s best right now, either way congrats again to a very deserving new champ.

• gueda says:

i’M a bit frustreted. that’s my last ufc event that a bought for a very long time! what’s left… george st-pierre , jake shield = they are borring
    anderson sylva..overrated big time and borring too.
    for the heavy weight you won’t have a true championne for a long time and i guest hasshole white will be running after fédor more than ever or overreen but i guest more fédor!

• gueda says:

sorry but there is big lash talent in the ufc fighter… i hope the new comer will be better than what we have to watch does days.

• Lethal Liquid says:

What a performance by Cain. He dismantle Lesnar. When people learn that technique wins out more often then not. Let’s say I bring a sword to a fight. Even if that sword is tatooed on my chest it doesn’t matter if I fight a guy will a sword, a gun and nonchucks. I would clearly be at a disadvantage and so was Lesnar

• RicM says:

Man,could Rogan have shoved his tongue any further up Jake Shields’s ass?? Kampman got screwed….and did anyone notice DW not smiling as he put the belt on Cain?? Congrats to Cain, one nasty chicano!!

• Richard Stabone says:

Shields looked like shit, which wasn’t a surprise. I told the guy next to me it’d be a split decision victory for Shields, but a 30-27 score on one card?? hahahahaha.

I viewed the Brock-Cain fight as a toss-up, and Cain looked incredible. I’m still not sure where Brock got cut, and the UFC camera work was atrocious not just in this fight but most of the night, but regardless Cain came out and did what I thought he might do and then some.

A year ago I said Cain vs. Fedor is the super fight out there in MMA, and tonight just makes me feel even stronger about that.

• Dufresne says:

gueda, what in the hell are you talking about?

Yes Fedor is a dangerous, talented fighter. But to say that no one in the UFC heavyweight division would have a chance against him is not just ignorant, it’s stupid.
    If I’m not mistaken, Fedor just lost to Werdum. A guy that many would say wouldn’t have a chance in the UFC. Also, Fedor was being outstruck by AA until AA went for a flying knee where he got caught. Gotta point out that JDS has superior boxing compared to AA, so how exactly do you think that would play out?
    I’m not saying that Fedor would get handled by anyone and everyone in the UFC, I’m saying that there are some very talented HWs that could definitely give him a test and probably give him a loss or two while they’re at it.

Shields is boring, I’ll give you that, but even with so many decision victories I can’t call GSP boring.

I don’t know who Anderon Sylva is, but I’ll take your word that he’s overrated.

Now Anderson Silva, on the other hand, he’s a monster. Not sure if you noticed, but after fighting a world class wrestler on roids (literally) while he was sporting a rib injury, he still pulled out the win. Don’t know if you consider that impressive or not, but I do.

As for Cain winning, great job Mr. Velasquez. You proved me wrong and really showed me some things. Going into this fight I had Cain sitting as the #3 HW in the UFC behind both Lesnar and JDS, but after that performance I have to put him up at #1 in the UFC. I don’t think his striking or BJJ is as technical as JDS’s, but I have to give him the edge based on his wrestling and ridiculous cardio. I’m really looking forward to watching Cain in his first title defense.

• Sykotick says:

Ok I’m gettin just a lil tired of people bitching about decisions in the ufc. Who wasn’t entertained by the Schaub Gonzaga fight? How about the Thiago Sanchez fight? The Hamill Ortiz fight? Those were 3 kick ass fights and what is wrong with 15 full minutes of ass kicking?

• Creature says:

Sykotick i agree completely, to everyone whos complaining about these dec fights, are you actually WATCHING them?? thats like saying serra and lytle was boring, forrest and bonner wasnt worth the time 2 watch, and gueda did u comment on here just 2 piss ppl off? you obviously are a UFC hater and have almost no clue what your talking about. i agree that shields is boring, and i hate anderson silva, but hes def not boring when he actually comes 2 fight. and saying no one in the UFC HW division would stand a chance againsty fedor? wow.. not only do i believe he would lose 8 times outta 10 to lesnar, cain, JDS and carwin. id put money on mir taking him more times than not, im not saying fedor sucks, but that his time has come and passed, Dana will def not be running 2 get him or overeem.

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

Way to go Cain-Brock needs to now go to an actual camp and do stand up sparring a lot with people that aren’t his “buddies”

• gueda says:

dufresne! fist i’m not ignorant and i’m not studid! this is my opinion and it’s seem that if we don’t have the same view than you we are retarded! i filled a bit sorry for you m.s! look what fédor does with peoples 30 to 40 pounds over him is a strong mother fuker. look how he trows them like rag.and you had the same opinion on 2 or 3 things i wrotte that means that you are retarded as i’m …do you know the wold respect ..somebody will teach it to you someday or a other . with your name i hope you not a french canadian.

• gueda says:

i’m sorry ! i forgot i’m on nut rugger site of the ufc sorry wrong place! i’m a fan for many years of mma ! i filled a bit sade for you people to drink words from dana’s mouth and your are turning just like him! no respect for other .

• gueda says:

sorry! i forgot how it works. if your not in the ufc you just a pieces of shit and went you joined you the best on the planet!…i most be retaded to see that…

• BigDave says:

First, Gueda I’m going to have to get someone fluent in stupid to translate what the hell you just wrote.

All in all a good night of fights Shields and Kampmann was a let down but then with shields you get that more then not. The split decision was fine but what planet did anyone see a 30-27 fight for shields. I had Kampmann winning 29-28.

Schaub looked good against the gatekeeper of the UFC and proved to me that he atleast deserves a shot at a rematch against big country.

Hamill was a bit more impressive then i thought he would be. I had this fight being a boring lay and prey win for Hamill but he proved that he has improved striking and took out a Tito that just doesn’t look like he has any of his former ability.

Now Deigo do you now realize that you are tailor made for 170? After the first round The “Don’t call me nightmare” took it to Paulo with a relentless attack and was dominant. I think shields needs to be the next opponent for Sanchez.

To the main event. Cain proved last night what I have been saying for over a year now. He is the most dominant Fighter in the HW division. He was able to withstand the early onslaught by Brock and was able to easily get up after being taken down by Brock. After that the fight was academic with Cains superior striking he was able to hurt the bearded monster eventually getting him down and unlike Carwin being patient and picking his shots with Lesnar having no answer for the devastating G&P.

Next for Cain is JDS. He is a great fighter but I can’t see him winning against Cain. He was taken the distance although winning handily by Roy Nelson and wasn’t able to get him to the mat. He does not have the power to stand with Cain and on the ground. Cains superior wrestling and cardio will prove to be just to much for JDS. JDS reminds me a little of Big Nog in his style and we all saw how that one ended. But we will have to wait and see, I for one am looking forward to seeing Cain as the HW champ for a long time.

• mma.Australia says:

Ben Hunt – owe you 20 bucks mate!

Cain delivered and will deliver against JDS and Fedor would have very little chance.

We now have to wait and see if Brock can give his ego a rest and mix up his camps because he has the natural ability to beat Cain, just is about as well rounded as his box head!

• CMT says:

Fluent in stupid – that’s funny BigDave. Watch Idiocracy and you will understand him a bit more.

Lesnar came in lean, not as mean, and got beat by a Mexican Wrecking Machine. The second fight in row that Lesnar was against the cage turtling up. I think his weakness has been exposed. I loved Dana’s pissed off expression putting the belt around Cain.

• Midget says:

@ mma Australia : I believe you do PB!!!

Will be interesting to see if JDS will be able to keep up with the pace of Cain.
    He looked gassed towards the end of the Nelson fight though he did throw a high number of punches to Roy’s concrete head. Now he may have a 5 round fight on his hands and if he cant KO Cain in round 1, it probably will be.

Look forward to the fight!!!

As for Lesnar, he has some work to do but should only get better. Maybe Big Nog next for him?

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

Have to admit I thought Brock would win and I am still a big fan but, Cain did what he needed to do and was clearly the better man.

We all know Brock can wrestle but, he needs to get him some more boxing training and focus alot more on that because I think he could train some wrestling to stay sharp but, he needs to seriously train striking and maybe some basic BJJ to help him off his back.

If he takes next 6 months or so and really trains some boxing or some form of striking he could really be dangerous.

I think a fight like Big Nog would be good for him as well. Gonna be late spring or summer before we see Lesnar again anyway. That nasty cut will get him a nice long medical suspension

• MCM says:

Schaub needs to be put in with a real fighter for me to see were his skills are. Gabe was a real fighter 3 years ago and, as I’ve said before, has all the potential to be one of the best, but he did nothing in that fight but walk forward when not getting hit and backward when getting hit. Give Schaub an extra thick cup and put him in with Kongo. It won’t be much of a ground battle but Kongo will atleast show up to fight.

Hamill impressed me. His striking has come a long way in the past few fights as has his comfort level in the cage. He appeared lighter and quicker on his feet with losing any power. I’d like to see him get a step up in competition again and see how he fares.
    I still say Dana is gonna want Chuck to go out on a win so he’s gonna give him Tito one last time.

Sanchez looked great last night. I hope he stays at 170 cause he can certainly hang there. Although if he’s staying at GJ’s he wont’ get a title shot. I’d love to see him vs. Condit for each of their next fights.

Kampman absolutely won that fight. Shields never did anything but suck wind for 15 mins. Hell even most of the takedowns were from Kampman lifting up Shields legs and dropping him on on his forearms. LIke I said in the results thread, I don’t think Dana is gonna give Jake at shot at GSP yet. ‘Cause after tonight, I don’t know if anyone is really interested in it.

Cain look amazing in the title fight. I missed the part where his Wolverine claws came out a slashed Brock, but other than that he was completely dominant over the big man. He’s one of those fighters that truly does get better every time he steps in the cage. I can’t wait to see how good he’s gonna get after taking his first loss from JDS.

• bigbadjohn says:

What a showing by Cain. Look out HW division! Although I believe Brock still has the physical capabilty of beating anyone in the UFC, his skills need to develop further as shown tonight. Why does it seem like Brock isn’t used to being punched in the face? Doesnt he train to fight for a living? Im disappointed as a Lesnar fan, but also excitedg to see what he can do, where he will go after a humbling at the hands of a man 20 pounds his junior. And my 2 cents on JDS /Cain: Junior, you won’t be able to avoid the grappling like with Roy, therefore your devastating striking won’t be as effective. Cain just moves forward until you fall.

• Sykotick says:

Ok yesterday I bitched because people need to stop complaining about decisions, now to the fight
    WOW! Cain is a monster of a fighter! He showed exactly what every real MMA fan should know from watching Gracie, and that is: it doesn’t matter how big you are if you don’t have the technique to back it up. Cain dominated in the striking department AND the wrestling department, who saw that coming?! I didn’t lol.
    Now, why is it that everytime the is a UFC heavyweight fight at Least one person has to scream “that was bs! Fedor would kick his ass!” not only can you not prove that but odds are we will never know cuz he won’t fight him! Instead of jocking on one fighter’s jock strap for all eternity, why don’t you jock on MMA’s jock strap and enjoy great fights by great fighters? Just sayin

• Angry Mike says:

Shane Carwin is a giant of a man who punched himself out and gassed when he fought Lesnar. Brock Lesnar is a giant of a man who also punched (and kneed and clinched) himself out and gassed against Velasquez. I think one of the lessons is that packing every possible ounce of muscle onto your frame doesn’t mean you’ll win. To the contrary, at some point it’s a liability because you don’t (and maybe can’t) have the cardio to get oxygen to all that muscle.

Velasquez was 20 poundls lighter than Brock. He may have some innate cardiovascular ability that other heavyweights don’t have, but I think he’s got a better approach to strength and conditioning. Put on enough mass to have power and enough weight so you don’t get pushed around, but be sure your cardio can support it.

And yeah, all that muscle on some of these heavyweight may come from PED’s, and those can affect your cardio, too, but that’s a different discussion.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

I think Brock looked terrible more than Cain looked good. It really seems to me that he chucks it in reverse and slams his foot down when he gets hit.
    Fedor is an awesome fighter. If you don’t think so, you don’t think.
    Cardio had nothing to do with Saturdays result.
    Gonzaga needs a new coaching team.
    Shields will need to get focused and fit for GSP. I think he will win.
    I am beginning to really dislike Roegan. His “this is the start of the … era” talk is pissing me off. The “Machida era” he talked about lasted 1 fight (none really) and his “Brock era” lasted another 2. I think the “Valasquez era” wont even last that long. I think there are many better HW’s than him and JDS is 1 of them.

• Sykotick says:

There we go again!

MMA Logic, this is a post based on UFC 121, where a heavyweight fight took place between Cain Velasquez and Brock Lesnar…. What does Fedor have to do with that? Who has questioned his fighting ability? No one everyone knows he is a bad man, but tht doesn’t mean that anytime there is a heavyweight post he must be brought up

• gueda says:

people are wondering why some people talk about fédor! he is the banch mark for the heavy weight.it was brock for 1 month, if the ufc heavy weight champion is the new banch mark a think it’s gone change very often, that’s all.when somedody is gone do better than him i will be the fist to admit it.i’m not a fan of organisation ..i’m a fan of the figther.

• Sykotick says:

Gueda

I don’t mind talking bout Fedor but just because he was the #1 heavyweight for so long doesn’t mean EVERY heavyweight bout has to involve him. This fight for instance had NOTHING to do with him.

Instead of being pro/anti organization, or fighter, be pro mma