Jose Aldo declined December bout with Ken Florian

The question surrounding WEC featherweight champ Jose Aldo eventually testing his skills at 155-pounds has long been a matter of “when” rather than “if” based on his success in the ring. The 24-year old Brazilian has compiled an 18-1 record in his six-year career, holds wins over some of the sport’s top featherweights, and has rendered seven of his last eight opponents unable to intelligently defend themselves with relative ease. As it turns out, the answer to the afore-mentioned query almost came as early as the end of this year.

Aldo recently spoke with Tatame and briefly mentioned the UFC’s proposal of a match-up with “Top 10” lightweight Ken Florian, though he explained his managers declined the bout without going into specifics about why.

“I wanna fight – it can be at WEC or in the UFC,” said Aldo.

The versatile 145-pounder did, however, go on explain his current focus on featherweight was in-part related to his training partners at Nova Uniao in Rio Di Janeiro.

“When I was fighting in the division above (André Pederneiras) thought there were many people of the gym on that division, and in my division there’s me and Marlon (Sandro),” he elaborated on the situation. “I can play pretty hard in this one and I’m the champion, so I think it’s best for me to stay in this weight division.”

Just because they won’t be fighting each other in December doesn’t mean Florian and Aldo will be left looking for future opponents, as both have since gone on to agree to other bouts in their home-promotions. Aldo will be defending his WEC title against Mark Hominick at WEC 54 in January, while Florian will face Evan Dunham at UFC 126 at the company’s standard Superbowl Weekend card on February 5th.

• Lethal Liquid says:

I think this was the best move for him at this time. 6 months after his next fight makes more sense for this encounter. He can properly get his body ready for that step up

• boomnutz says:

i’m kind of glad he declined, these 2 are both some of my favorite fighters, i would hate to see either lose…Aldo’s a phenom though, he’s going to make waves for years to come

• fanoftna33 says:

I would have loved to see this fight, it would show everybody where exactly Aldo sits in the p4p rankings. A win by a 145 champ over Kenny is huge as Aldo took out arguably the # 3 LW fighter in the UFC. A loss shows us Aldo in no Anderson Silva, and while great he isnt going to rule 2 weight classes like Silva could.
    I understand his camp turning down this fight though as Aldo still has legitimate competition in his weight class in guys like Mark Hominick(who I belive will do great against Aldo) and John Grispi, two solid compititers. I think after his next 3 title defenses( if he does win all 3) that would be the time to move on, now is just to early.

• Jose aldo I am sure could and would beat up Franky Edgar and could take any of the guys at 135. With that said, Aldo could hold 3 belts in 3 different weight divisions.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Now hang on. Fedor declines to fight Overeem when he already had a fight against a higher ranked HW lined up and M1 gets accused of “ducking” and then the “top P4P” fighter just completely refuses to fight Flortian and dudes are like “oh I would hate for him to lose” or “this is the best thing for him at the moment”. Give me a break. This is a 100% case of ducking. There are no worries as far as signing with ZUFFA, he didn’t say yes but not if I have to sign an exclusive contract like Fedor and M1. They just flat out refused/ducked. Grow some balls Aldo and co and fight real comp instead of pretending to be great. Prove it .

• elkymbo says:

Well said Mr Logic. I agree that it is a case of ducking. If he’s really a champ he’ll take whatever opportunity he can to prove his greatness. Being afraid to lose doesn’t make you a champ.

• Dufresne says:

I don’t think you can fairly compare the Fedor declining a fight with Overeem with Aldo declining a fight with Florian.

Fedor and Overeem are both HWs and even though Werdum may have been higher on most peoples’ rankings, Overeem was the champ.

In this case you have a guy declining a fight in a higher weight class. Aldo didn’t challenge Florian and I don’t think that Florian every challenged Aldo. Even if Florian did issue a challenge he’s challenging a guy at smaller weight class.

I would call it ducking if Aldo called out Florian, but this is simply a young champ saying he has plenty of challenges left at his weight class. Silva didn’t jump up to 205 for a fight until after he had fought as the MW champ five times. Aldo just finished his second fight as the champ of his division. Give the guy a break.

All that said, I don’t think Fedor was “ducking” Overeem anyways. I 100% believe that the reason that fight hasn’t happened has much more to do with M1 than it has to do with Fedor not wanting to fight Overeem.