Chael Sonnen appealing results of failed UFC 117 drug test

In a move likely surprising as many MMA enthusiasts as there are remaining hairs on Dana White’s dome, it appears UFC 185-pound contender Chael Sonnen will file an appeal in relation to the California State Athletic Commission’s recent findings that he used “performance enhancing drugs” prior to his fight against Anderson Silva at UFC 117 last August in Oakland.

News of the appeal was reported by MMAFighting, who received confirmation of the process after speaking to Sonnen’s manager, Mike Roberts. Roberts also said Sonnen would make his own statement on the matter later this week.

Though no specific substance has been named in the situation, the CSAC’s executive director (George Dodd) did tell Sports Illustrated Sonnen’s results revealed abnormally high levels of testosterone and mentioned the outspoken middleweight had admitted to using an “illegal PED” in a discussion with him during pre-fight medicals a day before the bout with Silva.

Depending on the outcome of Sonnen’s appeal, he could be forcibly sidelined by the commission for up to a full year, as well as have to pay a $2,500 fine, based on the infraction. Regardless, it seems his rumored New Year’s Day rematch against “The Spider” is almost certainly off at this point barring a dramatic change in circumstances.

Sonnen is 25-11-1 in his career and had won a trio of consecutive fights entering the title-bout with Silva at UFC 117. He holds past victories over Paulo Filho, Trevor Prangley, Yushin Okami, and Nate Marquardt.

• manny says:

As expected…. I’m still appealing his rematch and hopes it never happens.

• boomnutz says:

i felt he’s been overachieving lately, maybe this explains it

• Kamakosmo says:

Nice going Chael, you just lost any fans you may have won over after this fight. However, I’m not going to sit here and berate, slam, or crucify this guy, or any other athlete for thinking that taking a drug will make them that much better against there opponent. I am not a professional athlete, so i have no idea (hence, no right to comment) the pressures they face. A win and they could be a millionaire, a loss could mean joblessness. I am not putting these people’s professions above anyone else’s, trust me. But until i’ve walked in someone’s shoes, I’ll keep my personal attacks to myself. Remember everyone, they are human…..

• Dufresne says:

I’m assuming he admitted to using an “illegal PED” sometime in the distant past. If not, WTF? Why would they let him fight if he told a commissioner that he’d been using coming into the fight?

• MCM says:

Sherk appealed and got the CSAC to admit they may have been mistaken and got his suspension cut in half, so I’d appeal too.
    And as arrogant as Sonnen may be, I just can’t see him telling the Executive Director of the CSAC the he “admitted to using an “illegal PED” just before the fight.

• Kamakosmo says:

Agreed Dufresne and MCM…doesn’t make much common sense. I would think that if an individual admitted to taking a banned substance, they in turn would be suspended right on the spot until the tests can be conducted and analyzed, no? I am sure there is some protocol on paper for such a situation….and i’m pretty sure it’s not “do nothing, then quote it to S.I. more than a month later”…then again, this is California we’re talking about.

• moosebaby02 says:

I have pretty much kept my mouth shut about this since I heard bout this on Friday and have been waiting on what Sonnen has to say bout this first. I could go and try and rip him up and down since I dont like the guy but IM STILL waiting to hear what Sonnen has to say. I have heard from George Dodd, Dana White, Mike Roberts and various news outlets………yet IM STILL waiting to hear something from Sonnen.
    He was told about it on Saturday and yet IM STILL waiting to hear from Sonnen.
    Like I have stated before where is that media whore now???? The guy has been on the radio or tv like 3 to 4 times a week and poof……..he is gone?
    Where is that guy who said that he is going to shove that sword tattoo on brocks chest up his ass? or that same guy who called out the pee drinking pajama wear clown Machida?? or that soft kicking shogun??? or the guy who said that he wanted GSP to bring his $3000 suit, his $3 date and is going to knock that 3 cent tan off his back?
    Oh wait I know he has to get all of his ducks in a row before he makes his statement or sorry his monologue
    I guess IM STILL going to have to wait while im giving him the benafit of a doubt

• Lethal Liquid says:

I just keep being reminded of Sonnen calling Anderson Silva a fraud. When as it turns out he’s the biggest fraud of them all. His comments about Lance Armstrong, this guy is getting everything he deserves.
    Congrats Chael you big corny turd!!

• Dufresne says:

Maybe he’s trying to get in on that Livestrong cash flow…

• Angry Mike says:

Interesting. It sounds like Sonnen used a PED, but wouldn’t lie about it when directly asked if he did. If that’s what happened, it is even more difficult to understand why he used a PED. If he wasn’t committed 100% to cheating, why do it at all? If he’s trying to stay somewhat honorable, why cheat?

• JabCrossHook says:

Honestly some of the shots that Anderson caught Chael in the beginning of the 3rd round he had to have been on steroids to walk through them. Those would’ve put almost anyone to sleep, especially that leaping forward elbow to the chin.

• bigbadjohn says:

Steroids are to thank for his chin? that’s the most absurd thing I’ve read in a while. Let’s stop this myth right here in its tracks, before Chuck gets wind.

• king mah mah says:

High testosterone levels don’t mean you are taking steroids. And yeah, why would they let him fight if they new before hand that he used an illegal PED? Something ain’t right here.

• king mah mah says:

Also have to agree with bigbadjohn here. Steroids DO NOT help your ability to take a punch! Never have, never will.

• king mah mah says:

*knew* sp

• elkymbo says:

We can sit here and argue about it until the bloody cows come home but the fact is his reputation is tarnished no matter what the outcome…..and he’s a douche.

• Spoken says:

testosterone levels high enough to trigger a failed drug test are unnatural. it may not mean steroids, but its very likely some sort of banned substance. whether he took it knowingly or not, the rules say that the fighter is responsible for anything he puts in his body and are liable for failing a test regardless of the substance in question. im curious what chael has to say though.

• TerribleT says:

I think Chael’s15 minutes is up ! See ya’ in a year at STRIKEFORCE buddy. . . .

• STM199 says:

I’m going out on a limb and saying that Sonen took a similar supplement like Sherk did that wasn’t known to be illegal, or in both cases, the CSAC performes bad/tanted tests. Bottom line…..if Sonen didn’t do so much trash talking it wouldn’t look that bad for him right now. It was nice to see Silva get beat up a little, but good thing Sonen didn’t win because it would have been a pretty sad situation right now.

• Dufresne says:

On MMA Live on ESPN it was reported that Chael told the commission that he took testosterone before the fight, but that Chael did not fill out a form saying that he had a medical reason to take it.