Exclusive: Efrain Escudero released by UFC

Five Ounces of Pain has been informed by a source close to the situation that Ultimate Fighter Season 8 champ Efrain Escudero has been handed his pink-slip by the UFC on the heels of a submission loss to Charles Oliveira earlier this month at Fight Night 22.

The 24-year old made headlines at the weigh-in for the event by registering in at 159 pounds on the scale and turning the previously scheduled 155-pound bout into a catch-weight affair. In the end, the size advantage made little difference, and Escudero was tapped-out by a standing rear-naked choke in the fight’s third round.

After starting out his career with twelve straight wins Escudero has since dropped two of his last three fights. His most notable win inside the Octagon came by way of first-round TKO against Cole Miller at UFC 103 in September 2009.

• JOEgun says:

I wonder why. Does this make Escudero the first TUF winner to be released from the UFC?

• Rich S. says:

Wow, that’s really strange. I’m sure this is one of those “go get some more experience elsewhere, we’ll see you back in a year” kind of things. His only losses were to great competitors who are making their ways up the Lightweight ladder right now.

I still think he’s a great fighter and I always find his fights entertaining. Very puzzling.

• JOEgun says:

I would say that Escudero is alot better than Mac Danzig.

• MCM says:

I think the 4lbs over had a lot to do with it. Efrain is not the first TUF winner to be cut, that honor goes to Lutter who also came in 4lbs over weight. I am kinda surprised they let him go though.

• elkymbo says:

Not surprising considering his biggest offensive move was a knee in the balls.

• Angry Mike says:

He didn’t look drawn out from a hard cut. He looked soft and out of shape. He was tiring in the first round and was flat on his feet. Comparatively speaking, that’s the worst he’s looked since coming to UFC. I don’t know if he’s sick or injured or unmotivated, although the flat performance and extra four pounds suggest unmotivated. There are too many good fighters to waste time on guys who can’t get their heads into the game. No surprise to me that he was cut.

• TerribleT says:

Coming in 4 pounds too heavy and losing 2 outta his last 3 plus not being able to put away an overmatched Dan Lauzon let them know that he just wasn’t dedicated enough for the direction they’re heading with the Lightweight division which has by far the most contenders on the rise with maybe more even coming from TUF 11now but I’m sure STRIKEFORCE will sign him. They’ve been picking up UFC casualties left and right recently. Somebody mentioned Mac Danzig in an earlier post and was wondering why he hasn’t been cut yet …..he will after his next loss and it’s definitely coming sooner than later I predict.

• MCM says:

Is Shane Nelson still in the UFC? If so, he’s the only LW from season 8 to still be employed by the UFC. Kinda odd to see the UFC go through all the trouble of promoting and building these guys up to not have any on them compete for the org.

• Creature says:

Never liked efrain, so him getting cut doesnt really concern me even tho a loss 2 evan duhnam isnt really 2 bad a thing considering how he dominated griffin, that kids a monster

• MMA-LOGIC says:

SF will take him if he wants it. Bellator too. I don’t think he would be that worried. He like Duffee will be just fine and, just maybe, better off.

• boomnutz says:

i don’t what half you guys are smoking, but i consider Efrain to be one of the better up and coming fighters out there, plus the fact the UFC is without a doubt, trying to find some Mexican American stars, i know they have Cain obviously, but the more the merrier. This is a surprise, his only 2 losses are against tough tough dudes, Evan Dunham looks to be one win away from a title shot, Oliveira looks to be a phenom in the making. He’s a wrestler that looks to end fights and not just win by top control, puzzling move imo, must be something we’re not hearing

• Guthookd says:

Well, no big loss for the UFC, but he’ll be a good addition to Bellator. If BFC does pick him up I’d like to see him face Chad Hinton for his first fight. Chad gave Roger Huerta a run for his money in the opening round of the LW tourney, so i think he’d be a good match up for Efrain.

was efrain the one who talked all that shit to nog on tuf?

• Rich S. says:

Rece, I think you’re thinking of Vinny Magalhaes? He didn’t exactly talk trash but there was kind of a scuffle when he mentioned he had more titles than Nog.

Eh, it’s been so long I hardly remember anything from that show.

• manny says:

Only reason I can think of is for missing weight for his last two bouts. It can’t be due to 20 straight loses b/c S. Bonner should have been cut a Long time ago.

• manny says:

I meant to say 2 straight losses. U shouldn’t be fighting if u have 20 staight losses. :)

• boomnutz says:

i don’t think he missed weight twice did he…

• danw84 says:

I hardly think Bonnar and Escudero are comparable in talking about cuts. I doubt Bonnar will ever get “cut.”

• fanoftna33 says:

I liked Efrain, he showed a lot of potential. He is a stron wrestler with very good submissions and a nasty right hand. Give him 2 more years in SF or Bellator and he will be back.