Dual “Submission of the Night” bonuses awarded at Fight Night 22

The UFC handed out $200,000 in additional salary Wednesday evening in appreciation of a handful of the “Fight Night 22” participants’ performances. Five fighters took home an extra $40,000 after the card concluded in Austin, Texas, including two individuals who walked away with “Submission of the Night” distinctions.

Both Cole Miller and Charles Oliveira netted bonus money at the expense of Ultimate Fighter seasonal champions. Miller submitted TUF 9 winner Ross Pearson in the second round of their bout after showing a willingness to stand with the talented British striker. His “Submission of the Night” peer, Oliveira, took out TUF 8 title-holder Efrain Escudero with a standing rear-naked choke midway through the third frame of their match-up.

News of the bonuses were announced at the post-event press conference.

“Fight of the Night” went to Kyle Kingsbury and Jared Hamman who battled to a decision win for Kingsbury during the preliminary portion of the card. Meanwhile, “Knockout of the Night” was awarded to Brian Foster for his TKO of Forrest Petz a little more than a minute into the opening round of their bout.

• Dufresne says:

I can definitely get behind both SotN’s here.

Miller’s rear naked was sunk in and locked before Pearson even realized that Miller was going for it instead of going for some GnP. Quick and efficient sub following some pretty striking on the feet.

Oliveira’s choke was also “blink and you’ll miss it” in the set up. I thought he was too high on Escudero’s back when he first latched onto his back, but he used some nice technique. It didn’t even look like he had it sunk under the chin, but considering Escudero risked major joint damage in his last fight by not submitting, it must have hurt like hell.

I really wish they could have found room to put the KOotN on the card, but since it was a free event I’m sure they had a required amount of commercials to fit in. Hopefully they’ll put it online for free or on an upcoming “UFC Unleashed”

• boomnutz says:

Really Duf??? i thought Oliveira sat nice low on that choke, he had all his weight sitting back, at first he was high but only for a second or 2, i probably would have just given it to Oliveira, but its whatever, enjoyed them both

• nothing_shank says:

Oliveira was way up on escudero’s back. His leg was over efrain’s shoulder to block a wrist escape. It was more of a compression sub than a choke, but it was quick as hell and looked sweet. Definitely good call on both SOTNs, charles’ just looked more dynamic.

• Guthookd says:

“His leg was over efrain’s shoulder to block a wrist escape”
    -NSS

That was the coolest part of that sub. There was no defending it with just one hand to work with. He didn’t have it under the chin, but he had both arteries in the squeeze. Loved it.

Also, I was very happy to see Ross take his first loss. Nothing against him, but I think it will make him a better fighter in the long run (plus, revenge for my boy Siver). Gotta have a plan for when that striking doesn’t come through for you.

All in all, good fights. Nate did his job quick.

The TUF “entry” fights were good too. They roped me in and had me up till midnight on a Wednesday.

• fanoftna33 says:

I thought the card was very good. All of the fights were pretty competitive, Pearson looked good in round 1 but Miller really looked like the veteran in there.
    Palharis complaining really reminded me of Penn instantly. Good for Nate and the UFC clearing it up fast and having a ref and a doctor checking him.

• Dufresne says:

Yeah, me too. But there are already some characters that I know are gonna piss me off, not to mention Kos who’s guaranteed to piss me off, so I’ll probably end up just recording them and fast forwarding to the fights.

• Angry Mike says:

What’s the story on Escudero? He looked soft and out of shape, and I think he was looking for a way out when he tapped. Is he injured or sick or what? I know he came in overweight, but he looked out of shape, not drawn out from a tough cut.

Anybody else catch Rogan’s reference to a heavily, heavily muscled Tibau as a “freak of science?’ LMAO.

• Rich S. says:

Efrain just can’t catch a break. I look past all the comments about his “wrestling ability” and how he’s such a “solid wrestler.” Since TUF, I’ve been one of few people that considers him a grappler more than anything. After all, all of his wins in the house were slick submissions. But, I’m starting to question his grappling ability now that he’s been submitted twice in three fights. Props to Oliveira. I thought the choke was high on Escudero’s chin but, sure enough, he tapped.

Pearson seemed totally off. I guess it was Cole’s length and aggression that kept him from ever finding his groove. I thought he was seconds from sneaking in and dropping Cole with a bomb and then BAM. The submissionist knocks the striker senseless. Very smart move to go for the choke. I honestly wouldn’t have trusted Cole’s striking power to get a [T]KO in that situation.

• fanoftna33 says:

Rich s I also really though Pearson would take this fight but Cole surprised me. He seems to be a guy that really neds to get fired up for a great showing, I would really like to see Cole get a rematch with Lauzon as they had a bit of unfinished business.

• Dufresne says:

I definitely could get behind giving Cole the loser of Lauzon/Sotiropoulos fight coming up at 123. Either one should be a hell of a fight.

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

Tibau and Thiago alves are most assuredly on the juice and you can see by the stiffness in their performances and multiple injuries-I could go on an on but I love this sport-Moving forward-Oliveira is a much needed breath of fresh air in the UFC LW division-Cole Miller improves dramatically every fight-And Palhares basically quit when Marquardt had the ultimate answer to his one dimensional attack