UFC Fight Night 22 Live Results

Folks in Austin attending UFC Fight Night 22 event appear to be in for a treat, as the world’s foremost MMA promotion makes a stop in Texas’ State Capital for the first time in history this evening with a card featuring intriguing match-ups, a pair of Ultimate Fighter champions, and a main event involving two highly talented middleweights.

Five Ounces of Pain will be bringing readers live results as the event unfolds tonight at the Frank Erwin Center. Coverage of the show will begin approximately at 5:00 ET when the first pair of fighters square off.

UFC Fight Night 22 is headlined by a clash between respected 185-pound contender Nate Marquardt and powerful BJJ practitioner Rousimar Palhares. Fans tuning in will also have an opportunity to see former TUF champs Efrain Escudero and Ross Pearson in action, as well as Jim Miller fighting Gleison Tibau and the return of MMA veteran Yves Edwards to the Octagon for the first time since 2006.

The full list of UFC Fight Night 22 results is as follows:

Brian Foster def. Forrest Petz via TKO Round 1 (Strikes)
Anthony “TJ” Waldburger def. David Mitchell via Unanimous Decision
Rich Attonito def. Rafael Natal via Unanimous Decision
Dave Branch def. Tomasz Drwal via Unanimous Decision
Kyle Kingsbury def. Jared Hamman via Unanimous Decision
Yves Edwards def. John Gunderson via Unanimous Decision
Cole Miller def. Ross Pearson via Submission Round 2 (Rear-Naked Choke)
Jim Miller def. Gleison Tibau via Unanimous Decision
Charles Oliveira def. Efrain Escudero via Submission Round 3 (Standing Rear-Naked Choke)
Nate Marquardt def. Rousimar Palhares via TKO Round 1 (Strikes)

• Dufresne says:

Hot damn! Miller looked good!

I thought Pearson was gonna be able to hang with him on his feet, but Miller was beating him to the punch and landing almost at will.

And that choke at the end was lightning fast.

Awesome performance!

• JollyDV says:

Cole looked awesome in this fight!

• sides666 says:

Miller definately looked good his striking was much improved there was some pretty bad camera work going on in that fight the ufc is usually good

• Dufresne says:

Oliveira’s striking looks pretty good. Those leg kicks are nasty.

• Dufresne says:

Escudero’s takedown defense is reminding me of BJs

• Dufresne says:

That may have been the first Bro-Hug I’ve ever seen at the beginning of a round.

And the first I’ve ever seen after a nut shot…

• Dufresne says:

There goes the bro-love…

• Dufresne says:

That was awesome!!!

He bounced him off the cage like a super-ball, then ninja-crab jumped on his back to lock in the finish.

Look forward to seeing Oliveira fight again.

• Dufresne says:

Holy SHIT that was a brutal shot!!!!

WTF was he looking at? Looked like he was smiling at the corner until he got blasted in the mouth.

• Dufresne says:

Okay, so Nate got out of that leg-lock attempt really easily, but on the replay it looks like Palhares was adjusting his grip on the leg when Nate slipped out. It really didn’t even look like Palhares was holding the leg when he yanked out.

• Creature says:

marquardts legs were prolly just sweaty from warming up, haha hes no cheater lol great TKO 4 my boy nate the great :)

• Brendhan Conlan says:

Brian Stann (Marquardt’s training parter at Jackson’s) said Nate shaved his legs earlier to be even MORE slippery in a legal manner.

• Dufresne says:

I like that they cleared it up after the fight and had both the doc and commission check right there instead of letting it go and have it turn into another Greasegate.

Smart move by Nate shaving his legs and intentionally building a sweat before the fight. It won him the fight.

On the other side, dumb move by Palhares to take your eyes off the guy you’re fighting. You’re at an elite level where a small opening is all it takes to lose. You gave Nate a very large opening, and he smashed you in the face for it.

• sides666 says:

Great night of fights overall props to nate the great for taking full advantage of the situation you can not just call a timeout whenever you want.

• Rich S. says:

Good night of fights.

As far as Palhares goes, it looks like he forgot the number one rule: Protect yourself at all times.

Damn it, Rousimar, if you truly think he’s greased, after slipping out of one leglock, investigate between rounds. He committed suicide in there by taking his eyes off Nate. And it’s such a shame because that was going to be a face-paced chess match and those are the fights I most look forward to.

• Makington says:

Now I’m a big fan of Rousimar and respect his ground game more than many other fighters but it just felt like almost perfect karma that he would lose himself the fight over such a surprising mistake right after his last fight where he almost pulled Tomas Drwal’s foot off while he was clearly tapping.

Miller looked as good as I thought he would. I always tell anyone who’ll listen that he’s one of the best fighters nobody knows. He’s one of my favourite fighters and has earned the right to fight top level guys now. As much as I like him though, I don’t exactly like his chances against any of the very top lightweights, atleast not yet. He’s still young.

Hey I guess jacksons camp forgot to teach Palhares common sense… Wow what’s next asking for a time out?

• boomnutz says:

honestly, one of the best cards of the year, Oliveira’s going to be a force, dude’s only 20!! it seems like he’s going to grow into a Welterweigh frame, hope he doesn’t lose too many advantages if that happens, but man with a some refined striking, he’s going to be a beast!! I knew you can’t count out Jim Miller, he’s got that IT factor, so does Cole Miller a little bit too. I’m sooo glad that Nate one, but i would have rather see the fight play out, we didn’t really learn too much except that Palhares is an idiot…

• boomnutz says:

lol, i just looked at the prelims, looks like it’s a good thing they were prelims, all decisions, except Foster obviously

• manny says:

NOt impressed w/ Nate at all. You can tell he was scared to strike at first for the 3:30 mins they were circling each other. Palhares would have won if he secured it but Nate slipped out and he took his eyes off him and was hit. Hmm. i know they said he didn’t grease which I believe he didn’t, but its weird he trains w/ gsp and bj accused him of greasing…..maybe its not grease but something else that doesn’t leave a mark on paper????? who knows, But I would love to see a rematch due to the fact that he was not loooking at nate while he got caught. why not? Sonnen is getting a rematch even though he got submitted????

• Dufresne says:

I was watching these fights with one of my good female friends, and she suggested that maybe after he shaved his legs he applied lotion. She said that even after the lotion is absorbed, if you sweat in the next day or so it makes them kinda slippery.

Nate said he shaved his legs and intentionally worked up a sweat, so it would seem possible. I don’t know if that’s legal or not, but I would guess it is since most MMA fighters also shave their face and I would assume that at least some apply lotion afterward. I also don’t know if it would show up on whatever test they use to check for greasing.

But regardless, the ref checked him before and after the fight and the doc and commission did after the fight as well. If none of them felt anything slippery enough to warrant further inquiry I’m gonna guess that it wasn’t an issue.

• Rich S. says:

I also want to point out the Unanimous Decision for Miller.

It seems that all three judges (if I remember correctly) gave him every round, despite being taken down twice in the second and finishing that round on his back.

That’s incredible to me, seeing as how most judges have a problem looking past whose on top, and seeing whose actually controlling the fight. But, they picked up on the fact that Miller was winning the stand up and attacking from the bottom the second it hit the ground. I was honestly expecting a split decision in the end, because of all the takedowns from Tibau. I hope we continue to see acknowledgements like this in judging.

• Dufresne says:

Jimmy Smith just referenced that in a Bellator fight. Kinda made me laugh.