George Sotiropoulos vs. Joe Lauzon targeted for November event

It appears Australian lightweight Georges Sotiropoulos will look to extend his six-fight win streak in the UFC (seven overall) against 19-5 Joe Lauzon at UFC 123. The event, though not officially announced, is scheduled for November 20th at the Palace of Auburn Hills just outside of Detroit, Michigan.

It was also revealed Sotiropoulos could receive an opportunity to fight for the lightweight championship if he emerges victorious against Lauzon. News of the bout and potential title-shot were reported by MMAJunkie.

Sotiropoulos is 13-2 in his career with, as mentioned earlier, seven straight wins and his only losses coming by way of a DQ and a split decision. The Ultimate Fighter Season 6 alumnus recently beat Kurt Pellegrino at UFC 116 last July and was coming off a similar win over Joe Stevenson prior to the match-up.

Though the 33-year old is considered to be one of the division’s better submission-grapplers, his prowess on the ground should definitely be put to the test by Lauzon who owes fifteen of his nineteen professional wins to tap-outs. The Massachusetts native last saw action in front of a hometown crowd at UFC 118 in Boston where he submitted Gabe Ruediger two minutes into the bout.

UFC 123 also marks the return of Karo Parisyan to the Octagon, as well as a headlining fight between former light heavyweight title-holders Quinton “Rampage” Jackson and Lyoto Machida.

• MickeyC says:

Good match up.Bothof these guys look better with each fight. Hard to pick, but I’m going with George.

• hindsightufuk says:

hell yes i like this fight, gonna be the highlight og the card for me

• bigbadjohn says:

both bring frantic pace and lots of ground game, this has FOTN written all over it. I won’t enjoy Joe’s eventual demise in this one though.

• boomnutz says:

awesome fight, but i think homeboy’s overmatched here…his jits are his strength and i don’t think he’s got nearly as much grappling prowess as Georgie boy, and the his boxing his def. not as good. maybe his length will help him. Def. going to be a great fight though. Curious to see if they ever pit Dunham and Sotiropoulos against each other or if they try to build one quicker than the other like they did with JDS and Cain…

• fanoftna33 says:

it looks like Joe is overmatched here but you never know, I think on paper this is awesome.

i wouldn’t count joe out…

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Great match up. I got to go with George since he comes from just around the corner (if I don’t he might find me). Go Australia.

• Dufresne says:

HELL YEAH!!! After both of their last performances, this was the fight I wanted! Any way it goes it’ll be an awesome fight.

• elkymbo says:

Go George you bloody tops legendary Aussie champion. Fucken smash him!!! Joe is also awesome but I’m always gonna go for my fellow countryman even if he has one of the Greekest names I’ve ever heard. That’s Melbourne for ya, second biggest Greek population outside of Greece.
    Hopefully we’ve had a laugh and learned something here today.
    Kymbo out :)

• I really like Joe but George is going to win and win convincingly

• Niv says:

I like both fighters but I have to go with George on this one as well. I think he’s a machine and is a definite threat to take the LW title. Should be a good fight either way.

Hey Kymbo “even if he’s got one of the Greekest names I’ve ever heard”, not sure what that means exactly but as a Greek myself I like it so it gives me one more reason to vote for him.

• stone says:

I’m goin J-Lau! I know everyone says GS but, I really think J-Lau is on a mission. I think he felt disrespected by his last match up! Gabe Rudiger shouldn’t even drive in the same lane as J-lau… I believe he’s a man on a mission!

• elkymbo says:

Hey Niv don’t worry mate I got nothing against Greeks in fact I drink Metaxa all the time :)