UFC 123 headed to Detroit on November 20th

It looks like “Motown” will transform into “KO-town” this November when UFC 123 rolls into the iconic American city on the twentieth. The event is scheduled to take place at the Palace of Auburn Hills (home to the NBA’s Detroit Pistons) and will be the second time the UFC has ventured into the area with the first coming more than a decade ago at UFC 9.

News of the show’s location was recently confirmed to MMAFighting by UFC President Dana White.

UFC 123 will be headlined by a clash between former light heavyweight champions Lyoto Machida and Quinton “Rampage” Jackson. Both top 205-pounders will be looking to get back on the winning track at the event, as Machida was victim of a first-round knockout to Mauricio “Shogun” Rua in his last bout while “Rampage” was out-pointed by Rashad Evans at UFC 114 after a yearlong hiatus from MMA. The loss was the first of Machida’s career. Comparably, Jackson had won eight of nine prior to losing the decision to Evans and hasn’t been finished in the ring since April 2005.

• Dufresne says:

The only way I see the main event living up to “KO-town” is if Page puts one on Machida’s chin.

Machida has better technique, movement, speed, and accuracy, but Rampage’s head is built (and kinda shaped) like a bank vault. On the other hand, Rampage throws huge power and Machida just got chin-checked in his last fight.

Even with those factors I’m going with Machida. I think he’ll use a Forrest-style game plan utilizing constant movement and vicious leg kicks which Rampage seems reluctant to counter.

Machida via UD.

I love Rampage and wish him the best but on paper i’m going with Machida for the win… but anything can happen.

• Brendhan Conlan says:

Sorry, was between that and “Rock City” into “Rock Em Sock Em City”. :) Wasn’t implying there would be a KO in the main event per say, but rather that Detroit had at least a few knockouts headed its way in a few months.

• Dufresne says:

Definitely like the sound of “KO-Town” better than “Rock Em Sock Em City” lol.

• JBAR says:

Hope no titles are on the line, the belt will probably get stolen before they can get it to the arena.

• Brendhan Conlan says:

What can I say? Sometimes my “Mauro Renallo” side gets the best of me.

• boomnutz says:

Lyoto’s a bad matchup for Rampage…Who else is fighting on this card?

• manny says:

I like both fighters but I think Machida will fight this one smart and WIn by Decision.

• Dufresne says:

Heard Matt Brown v Rory MacDonald was on this card too. Should be a pretty good fight as well, but I gotta go with Brown.

• damn it I hate this matchup for Rampage. Once again i gotta agree with everyone else, that lateral movement and leaping in and out will give him fits unless he employs Shoguns strategy and throws those nasty rampage hooks to the body. If Quinton can throw two of those every time The Dragon jumps in he just might be able to take the wind out of his sails long enough to crack him upside his head and make that two times Machida has been knocked down and two times he’s been knocked out, but I doubt it. Then again who knows if Machida decides to get a little over zealous like he did in his last fight with Rua….it could happen.

• Lord Faust says:

The only reason I give Rampage little-to-no chance is because he’s demonstrated certain things to me. He likes to keep fights standing at all times; does not change-up his game plan; refuses to check leg kicks; is an emotional fighter. These are all things I see an assassin like Machida using against Rampage.

I highly doubt Machida will KO Rampage; even a TKO is unlikely, unless he stuns Quinton and then swarms him. I see this fight going to the cards unless someone slips up.

I am a big proponent of both fighters, and really hate trying to pick a winner. If nothing else, I hope both of them put on good strong showings.

• Creature says:

i really hope rampage knocks machida out, will it happen? prolly not but 1 can only hope lol, id have loved 2 seen rampage vs tony that would have been a war

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Rampage will win this if it is any kind of fight but I think that Machida will run from Rampage and out point him. If Rampage was fighting out of a better camp I would give it to Quinton but I just don’t see him getting the win out of the wolfs lair. Rampage should be fighting out of a AKA, Jeremy Jackson, Extreme Couture or Black House type of place. I think the main reason he trains there is to get away from it all and not for the best training. Either way, I think Machida is just going to be too quick for him and Quinton is just going to plod forward and try to counter and connect with the big one.

• cigar says:

The dragon’s gonna walk all over rampage. Machida’s got too many tools at his disposal and rampage has 1, hooks oh and uppercuts. It’s gonna be a boring fight cuz machida won’t engage after that ass whoopin he received and rampage just plain out sucks. The tons of rampage nut huggers are really gonna give the thumbs down to this post haha

• king mah mah says:

Sweet! I already had heard this rumor. It was between the Palace and the Joe. Glad it’s at the palace though, as it has slightly better seating. Either way this is finally my chance to see the UFC live, cause i’m only a hop skip and a jump from either venue.

Man this is gonna be awesome!!!! I want Rampage to win, but if i was putting money on it i’d probably have to go with Machida just like most have stated already.

Maybe they’ll put Wanderlei and Leban on this card? That would be worth the price of admission alone. PEACE!! Maybe i’ll see some of you guys there.

• stone says:

Yeah I want to check this out live… I love Oakland County. Hopefully Rampage don’t chase him around n get out pointed. Honestly I think Rampage should win, I think Shogun broke Machida’s chin for good (a la Liddell)… If Rampage can land a descent punch he can floor him, pounce on’em and finish him off! As far as a “bad match-up” anyone not name Shogun seems to have problems with Lyoto. GO RAMPAGE…

• Ryan Seacrest says:

I am pumped up about this one. Mah Mah…LETS GO!!!