Ken Shamrock slated for Lousiana event in October

Fans questioning Ken Shamrock’s future in Mixed Martial Arts were given a new nugget for discussion earlier today when it was revealed the one-time “World’s Most Dangerous Man” will step into the ring once again on October 16th. Shamrock, who is 1-6 in his last seven fights, will compete on USA MMA’s upcoming event in Lafayette, Lousiana against 71-fight veteran Jonathan Ivey.

News of the bout was reported by MMAFighting, who also mentioned Ricco Rodriguez would see action at the event against Mike Perez.

Ivey is 29-42 and registers in at a rotund 250 pounds while only standing a little over 5’8”. Twenty-three of his wins are by way of submission and should offer the MMA icon an interesting test if things hit the mat.

Shamrock will be looking to get back on the winning track after losing via first round TKO to Pedro Rizzo this past July. Despite his recent struggles he is still 27-14-2 as a professional with twenty three tap-outs to his credit.

• Dufresne says:

I can’t get onto a guy for earning a paycheck, but I can’t help but wonder if Ken couldn’t get more money while NOT risking his health.

Ken has had a medical textbook full of injuries from his time in MMA and in the WWE, and fighting guys in small time shows isn’t gonna help them. Especially at 46.

That being said, I hope he does well and avoids any injuries.

• Guthookd says:

It’s funny. Even with a loosing skid like that Ken still has a 65.85% win rate, while Randy has a 65.51% win rate (call me a looser, I looked up their records).

Not a big Shamrock fan but I hope he gets a win. It would be nice to see him actually get to spend a few minutes on the ground where he used to work so well. I say game plan: immediate double leg and go from there. Maybe Ken can go out on a win…..I’d bet that’s his goal.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Whats a looser? anyway at least you know what you are talking about if you look it up. Randy is not THAT good as I have said many a time.
    Shamrock is just doing his thing and making money, good luck to him.

Good point guthookd I guess things could be worse… Shamrock is a HOF’er, a legend and a pioneer. Can’t take that away from him.

• hindsightufuk says:

never been a fan of Ken, however he was always interesting to listen to as a guest commentator, i’m surprised he hasnt got a decent media gig yet. Much as i dislike him he knows his stuff

• boomnutz says:

Shamrock is insane, that’s why he hasn’t gotten a gig, he’d probably have a roid rage and hurt his co-anchor…i like Shamrock as a fighter and he deserves a lot of respect, but he’s crazy and ultimately that’s led him to the small shows.

Logic, you’re a tag is a misnomer…Randy is not that good, are you out of your fucking mind, look at the name’s he’s fought…he beat Vitor, Chuck, Tito (when he was dominant), Pedro Rizzo (also when he was actually good), Maurice Smith, Jeremy Horn, etc. You can even say he’s the reason why Pedro and Vitor Belfort fell off, he broke their spirits, the same can be said of Gonzaga, he was a legit prospect until Randy owned him, with a fucking broken arm to boot. Not to mention, excluding Frank Mir, and Shane Carwin, he was able give Brock the best fight so far weighing probably 60 pounds less. He did all of this while people thought he was too old. I’ll concede that he’s not what he used to be, but still to say he’s not that good is disrespectful to the sport

• JBAR says:

I like both Randy and Ken. I hate to see Ken fight anymore because it is heartbreaking to see him no longer competitive compared to what he once was. Randy on the other hand is still competitive and I marvel at the level of skill that he has maintained at 47.

MMA-Logic,
    Randy has 7 losses in the UFC. 3 at LHW to Liddell (twice) and Belfort once. He also holds wins over both Liddell and Belfort. He has 4 losses at HW, Lesnar, Big Nog, Josh Barnett (on steroids) and Ricco Rodriguez. Not bad for a natural LHW fighter. I would venture to say that if Randy had fought exclusively at LHW during his career his record would look much better. It is obvious that you do not like Randy as a fighter but you have to be able to look past the W-L record sometimes. He is also not the matchmaker, the matchmakers put the best fight together (in their opinion) that they could. You do have to keep in mind with rematches in the past that the talent pool was not what it is today where you have 3 or 4 guys waiting that deserve a shot at the belt.

• fanoftna33 says:

I respect Ken for all he has done in the sport, and if he wants to keep fighting and promoters will pay him let him keep at it. His chin isnt what it used to be so hopefully we will see him using some of his submission skills.

• s13 says:

I’d like to know how successful (if at all) he would have been without popping roids like skittles. My guess is ‘not very’. I think he needs to go out on a win though.

• s13 says:

…or call out his brother to fight him in his last fight. THAT would be worth paying for and a huge fight for strikeforce.

• Jarome_Turner says:

@ boomnutz

“Not to mention, excluding Frank Mir, and Shane Carwin, he was able give Brock the best fight so far weighing probably 60 pounds less.”

They only other’s Brock has fought are Heath Herring and “Mr. Shark” Min Soo Kim. Upstaging those two doesn’t scream greatness.

• Guthookd says:

Thank you Jerome. That was a weak point by boomnutz.