Jason “Mayhem” Miller facing MMA legend at DREAM 16

Though Jason “Mayhem” Miller has found a good deal of success in MMA against respected opposition, the host of MTV’s “Bully Beatdown” is perhaps known for his showmanship as much as his well-rounded set of skills. On September 25th, Miller will have a chance to put both to the test, as HDNet Fights CEO Andrew Simon recently announced via Twitter that Miller will be facing the one and only Kazushi Sakuraba at DREAM 16 in Nagoya, Japan.

Similar to Miller, the 41-year old Sakuraba is not only known for being a fantastic grappler who embodies the sport’s “warrior spirit” like few others, but also as someone who has been wowing audiences throughout his career with entertaining entrances and pre-fight antics guaranteed to draw a smile on any onlooker’s face.

The man who once hid an Xbox in his pants during a weigh-in and often dons a pro-wrestling style mask en route to the ring also happens to be 26-13 with notable wins over larger competition like Kevin Randleman, Quinton “Rampage” Jackson, Ken Shamrock, and Vitor Belfort (not to mention his domination of the Gracie family in PRIDE’s earlier years).

Miller had recently been lobbying for a bout against Strikeforce 170-pound champion Nick Diaz as a result of their in-ring altercation last April but saw the opportunity go up in smoke this week when it was announced Diaz would be fighting KJ Noons instead this October. However, the 23-7 “Mayhem” has expressed a great deal of admiration for Sakuraba in the past and shouldn’t disappoint when it comes to preparation for the grizzled veteran or matching the Japanese icon’s humorous behavior.

DREAM 16 will air on HDNet and is also scheduled to feature a bout between featherweights Joe Warren and Michihiro Omigawa, as well as Gegard Mousasi looking to win his second consecutive bout since falling via decision to “King Mo” Lawal at “Strikeforce – Nashville” earlier this year.

• Spoken says:

if sakuraba wins this, it will be the greatest day of my life. i think that would be the perfect time for the ufc to bring him in for a couple high profile money makers(renzo gracie, hughes, akiyama). i can dream, cant i?

• cocoonofhorror says:

what a retarded fight.

Sak needs to hang them up, he is done.

• Dufresne says:

Mr. Sakuraba, I agree: Water is good.

It took me a second but, I chuckled with that water is good post… Funny stuff.

They should just let them each do a ridiculous entrence, let the fans cheer for the most retarded and declare the winner…Guess a win against a well known opponent doesn’t hurt….I got mayhem.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Saku I love your work but Mayhem should take this and I suppose water is O.K. but don’t force your beliefs down my throat!. I will decide for myself and I don’t need your constant barrage of thumbs up and water is good spin to make my mind up. You can’t make me drink it. O.K. fine i’ll drink it.

• cocoonofhorror says:

you guys were right, this isnt a bad matchup what was i thinking?

hopefully it is for the Wamma belt too, as Sak mis clearly in the prime of his career and a legit threat to Miller.

idiots.

• Talengard says:

I have Mayhem winning this, but I’m more concerned with why this match is happening. Mayhem is in my top 10 at middleweight, and he has an interesting history with StrikeForce’s middleweight champion. So why wouldn’t they try to get him a match up with someone who is still considered relevant and possibly another top ten MW?

• Spoken says:

why would you bother posting on a website just to be a dick and offer nothing constructive to the conversation? excuse us for being fans of an mma legend.

• NxL says:

The only thing I know for sure; this is going to have the most insane, bat shit crazy antics anyone has seen in the longest time, if not ever. Pro-wrestling will look like an elementary school play compared to this. Sorry for the insult. The parents of elementary school students didn’t deserve that.

Is the manic showmanship necessary, if not harmful to MMA? Hell no! If anything, a lot of people will tune in just to see the entrances. Forget confetti, they should drop Ritalin into the ring for the fighters to munch on.

Don’t forget to set your DVR’s for the craziest shit ever!