Urijah Faber: “My MCL kind of peeled away from the bone.”

No one ever doubted Urijah Faber’s toughness and after hearing him casually explain the knee injury he suffered in July forcing him to sit on the sidelines until late 2010 you can see why. The former WEC featherweight champ discussed how the damage came about, how his rehabilitation has gone, and even his openness to testing 155-pounds as a recent guest on the radio with Sherdog’s Savage Dog Show.

When asked about what happened to his knee, Faber responded, “I was doing some kickboxing and takedowns and my leg got yanked from the outside in. They said it was an atypical injury to my MCL. My MCL kind of peeled away from the bone. They told me I wouldn’t need surgery, but I’d be out four to six weeks. I was able to do some stuff without twisting it, so I was able to work out, do physical therapy and stay in shape.”

Fortunately, the Team Alpha Male patriarch’s recovery is going as planned. “It’s been six weeks since I hurt my leg, this was supposed to be a six-week injury and I had my first full week of practice last week,” said Faber. “I’m back to full-on training now. Hopefully I’ll get a chance to fight in November. I told (WEC) I could go in September when I found out I’d be out four to six weeks. I wanted to be on the September 30th card, but I got pushed back to November.”

“The California Kid” also elaborated on his plans after likely facing his original opponent prior to the injury, Takeya Mizugaki, at 135-pounds later this year.

“Where I’m at right now, I’m just having a great time and fighting my heart out. I just want fights that make sense. (Miguel) Torres would be bigger for me right now than (Dominick) Cruz. There are all kinds of fights I can do right now and can go back up to 145. I feel like I can do well against most anybody at 145 and I’d be willing to go to 155 at some point.”

Faber is 23-4 but has fallen in three of his last five bouts, including gutsy decision losses to top featherweight Mike Brown and current 145-pound champion Jose Aldo. He holds notable victories in his career over Bibiano Fernandes, Jeff Curran, Raphael Assuncao, and bantamweight title-holder Cruz.

I’m a Faber fan and I hope he can find a new niche and start a new page in his career…

• its hard not to be a fan of Faber. He’s humble always exciting and very personable. I hope he blows through 135 because him and Cruz would be a real treat

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

fuck Urijabah-Over inflated wrestler whore bagg

• Guthookd says:

I’m not a Faber fan, but I’m a big fight fan and I’ll alwasy love watching him in action. He’s still top of the list talent IMO.

Gike – All this time and I didn’t realized you were a total fuck tard. Weird that I didn’t catch that sooner.

• Swing Em says:

I met Urijah right after the 1st loss to Brown & he’s a cool dude. I hope he strings some stoppage wins together & gets a title shot at 135.

• Dufresne says:

Wonder if this injury is in any way related to the beating his leg took from Aldo. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a leg that swollen and multicolored before.

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

Come on Urijah-We all have seen your gay commercials-Why don’t you bless us with your actual fighting presence

• Dufresne says:

Someone’s been sipping the Haterade…

• Creature says:

“Someone’s been sipping the Haterade…” Lmfao yeah seriously, Gike im sorry but how can u apply that faber isnt worth his hype? have u seen any of his fights other than the aldo or 1st brown fight? its as mike goldberg says, hes “wicked good” lol

hopefully hes comes back strong and soon so we can all see him back 2 his old self, possibly tear through the 135 division :)

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

Urijah is one of my favoritete fighters-That being said-He should never rest on his laurels

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

Hey Creature couldn’t agree with you more-I still think Urijah won’t get that belt at 135 or 125

• Creature says:

haha gike im not sure i understand u completely.. u say hes an overinflated whore bag but 1 of ur favorite fights lol confuses me. but oh well, wasnt trying 2 start a argument like some ppl tend 2 do on here *cough* *cough* liverpunch *cough* just put in my 2 cents

• Creature says:

fighters*

• Creature says:

who knows, maybe he wont, but i give him a good chance, guess only time will tell

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

Creature you sound like a cool dude-Urijah will always bring in the money-I just feel that he hasn’t reached his potential and it’s frustrating to see-I think he could’ve done a lot better against Aldo

• hindsightufuk says:

i like Urijah as a fighter, but the whole white jock with cornrows entering to 2pac with a gangster limp is pretty embarrassing to watch

• Dufresne says:

Glad I’m not the only one that thinks that…

The cornrows are so he doesn’t look like clay guida mid way through the fight struggling to see his opponent…

“Cause I know, if they get up, I won’t get a chance to let off
    Another punch, I’m punk-rock, no one’s punk
    Don’t give a fuck, white-Pac, so much spunk…” – Eminem

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

Doesn’t anybody work anymore?-Rece-dufresne-and Hindsight-too much-I enjoy your posts

Haha 90% of the post I’m at my desk at work…the rest I’m probably in transit via my iPhone… But I give duf credit cause he actually puts some thought into his posts Where I just posts whatever

• Creature says:

Gike i agree, i thought faber could and should have done better against aldo, i was pulling 4 him 2 get the W..

“Cause I know, if they get up, I won’t get a chance to let off
    Another punch, I’m punk-rock, no one’s punk
    Don’t give a fuck, white-Pac, so much spunk…” – Eminem

i gotta say i do think eminem is a beast haha. i would personally like 2 see fabor vs frank edgar, edgar is a small LW and i think that would be a war

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

Awesome post Creature-As I am listening to some ZZTopp-Urijah Faber is a one kind of done fighter

• Dufresne says:

I’m a student in dental school, so I post either when I’m in a ridiculously boring class (micro) or iwhen I’m avoiding studying in a hard class (pharmacology, perio).

I remember working 7-6 with fond memories…

• […] WEC featherweight champ Urijah Faber will make his debut at 135-pounds this November after injuring his MCL in July while training. Fortunately, surgery wasn’t required to correct the problem, and […]