Jay Hieron released by Strikeforce

Former IFL welterweight champ Jay Hieron has at last secured his release from Strikeforce after being kept on the sidelines since this past January. The news of Hieron’s newfound “free agent” status came via his Twitter account.

“I finally got my release from Strikeforce… Y’all know what I’m about to do!!!!!!! I have been through a lot of sh*t this past year but I have trained the whole time. So all welterweights take notice – I’m coming for somebody’s head…”

The 34-year old “Thoroughbred” is 19-4 overall and is currently on a seven-fight win streak. Hieron’s last fight for Strikeforce was a unanimous decision victory over Joe Riggs at “Strikeforce – Miami”. Other than Riggs, he also has notable wins in his career over Jason High, Jesse Taylor, Pat Healy, and Jake Ellenberger.

• MCM says:

Good for Jay, bad for Strikeforce. I don’t know why they never promoted this guy?
    I know he lost his only two fights in the UFC but it wouldn’t be a bad move for Dana and Co to give him another shot, hell Cote went 0-4 before making a run and getting a title shot. Hieron is a quality fighter that would put on exciting fights with guys like Condit, Davis, Lytle, and I wouldn’t mind seeing him against Nate Diaz just cause Strikeforce wouldn’t give him his brother.
    If not then Bellator is putting together a nice WW division and Jay can hang with guys like Hornbuckle and Yoshida.

• Dufresne says:

Well I was going to add something original, but MCM stole my notes…

Yeah I think I’d like to see him
    in bfc…

• Tony says:

Considering 1 of Jay’s loses in the UFC was his first and it came against GSP, I would like to see him back on the big show. I am sure he wouldn’t mind a revenge fight now that he has more experience.

Good Luck Jay!

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

Damn!-Strikeforce seems to make the most obvious mistakes-Too many hands in the cookie jar(Showtime-M-1-CBS deal)-Jay Hieron has personality and most importantly – legitimate MMA skill

• boomnutz says:

like i said on a another thread SF is just plain stupid, and it doesn’t do them well when a guy is plainly excited about getting released…it’s too bad for him i feel he’s a little to accomplished for Bellator but too old to make a run in the UFC, maybe they’ll get gim as a gatekeeper, i could see some nice fights being set up

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

I think Jay Hieron would be great for Bellator-Hieron versus Hornbuckle or askren would be action packed fights

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

Fedor versus Bigfoot would be a electrifiying matchup

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

And furthermore-Werdum versus russian hot pants would bring BFC to the forefront

• GIKE MOLDBERG says: