UFC parts ways with Ben Saunders

Welterweight Ben “Killa B” Saunders has been given his official release by the UFC after a third loss in his last four bouts. Saunders, who started off his UFC career with three straight wins in the Octagon, most recently dropped a unanimous decision to Dennis Hallman at UFC 117.

News of the pink-slip came by way of Saunders’ Twitter page where the American Top Team fighter elaborated on the UFC’s decision to let him go…

“Sorry everyone…I tried to fight my best these past two fights but ended up getting out worked… the UFC has officially cut me… the good news is they told me to work on my wrestling and ground game and then come back… So that is all I am going to be doing… improving dramatically and show them I belong. It was a honor to fight for the UFC and I will make it back into the mix in due time… no one ever said my dream of getting that belt would be easy… in fact I was denied it as even a possibility and told I was crazy since I was a kid… look how far I have gone feeding off the doubters and haters… it just makes me that much more hungry… I’ll be back! There isn’t a doubt in my mind. Much respect to Swick, Fitch, and Hallman as they were the better men on those nights and have my full respect. To fight such names is a true honor… now to continue my journey like a Ronin searching for the battle that awaits me… it will come and I will be ready… till then I will not stop training and improving myself as a martial artist and human being. Life is nothing but a long-term learning experience… I have learned enough to consider myself a veteran… now to continue my progress and look towards what the future holds for me… staying positive in negative times has been the hardest tests I have ever faced but I have been through harder times and have fought my way through… this is no different…

To Joe Silva, Dana White, Lorenzo Fertitta, and the whole staff of the UFC it was good times and I look forward to seeing you all again in the future… To all my fans I thank you all and promise no matter where I go or who I fight I will be making the biggest and loudest noise I can letting it be known I am still here working harder than ever and will never give up…I will prove my worth and make my return to the UFC… to all the haters… thank you even more you help bring laughter and comedy to my life as well as determination to continue on and push harder than before to make a statement. I always come to fight my mentality has always been win, lose, or draw… I come to bring action and excitement…but it doesn’t always work out that way…my mentality has not changed and that is because I love to fight and I love the fans…but as I improve I will continue to become more well rounded so I can fight anywhere and keep the same pace and excitement…that is my ultimate goal…to make my fights as exciting as I can, for all you guys who take the time and money to watch…but above all I will be working on my take-down defense and make them pay every time they try. Much love and respect to all.”

Saunders is 8-3-2 in his career with notable wins over Marcus Davis and Ryan Thomas. The 6’2”, 27-year old first came to attention on the Ultimate Fighter Season 6 due to his hard-hitting Muay Thai and overall sense of humor.

• Weak sauce, I really like Killa B. He’s got a good attitude and always comes in fightin hard. I havent seen the fight with hallman yet so I can’t really say anything about it but everyone not named GSP loses to Fitch, Swick is a guy who had ONE loss in the ufc before he fought Hardy(Against Okami no less) and Hallman is an old vet who’s really slick and can beat anyone on the right night.

I would’ve liked to see him and The Water boy fight, I think that would’ve been cool. but oh well, Ben will be back.

• JabCrossHook says:

They should’ve just kept him because he knocked out Marcus Davis.

Wow… didn’t he step up last min and take a fight for them recently?…I think he switch opponents and moved up the card from what I remember… too lazy to look it up.
    I mean the opportunity was mutually beneficial ( if he had won) but still it was big of him to accept it on short notice… good luck Ben hope to see you back in there soon.

• Kamakosmo says:

Even though he destroyed one of my favorite fighters in Marcus Davis, I kinda liked Saunders. If he can figure out a way to either stay off his back (and not bitch to the Ref about it) or just work on his ground game, he could be a contender some day. Hopefully he is mature enough to learn from his mistakes…and from reading his very long tweet, sounds like he is.

• MCM says:

He stepped up on short notice to take of Fitch, Rece.

I’m kinda shocked to hear him say he has “haters”. I’ve always found him extremely likeable.
    I know it would tie up the WW division even more, but I always thought he should be training at AKA with guys like Swick and Fitch. I know it would improve his game as ATT is mostly strikers. Maybe Couture could do something.

• boomnutz says:

i like AKA, but i think he would be better suited at AMA Or in Arizona, they both feature some real talented wrasslers and jui jitsu practioneers…

he’ll def. be back w/o a doubt

• Rich S. says:

What a shame, but I suppose it’s justifiable.

He’s got great striking and grappling, he just needs to work really hard on his takedown defense and on being more aggressive with his Jiu Jitsu.

• Dufresne says:

Ben has several things working in his favor towards getting back into a big promotion. He’s only 27, he’s got good striking, he’s got a lanky frame that lends itself to submissions (with the proper training), he left the UFC without burning bridges, and he’s got personality. I’m honestly surprised they didn’t showcase his personality more often.

Killa B will be back.

• Con says:

I believe he stepped in for Alves when he was suppose to fight Fitch. He had the whole brain scan thing.

• Snoop Dogg says:

He needs to ditch the butterfly guard he is not that great at it. He is long and skinny he needs to develop more of a body triangle guard or just work on standing up from every position.

He would also benefit from becoming more of a boxer instead on a Mauy thai guy. The boxing stance would help his sprawl. He also has a huge reach so he will still be able to connect on guys that are shorter than him.

The problem is he pretty much needs a whole new game and I don’t think it will happen. The UFC is full of great WW wrestlers and Killa B is not going to be able to catch up on wrestling from guys that have been wrestling their whole lives.

Sorry Ben but maybe you can fight Diaz in Strikeforce. I would stay away from Askren in Bellator though.

• stone says:

Killa B will be back… Guess it’s a lesson to all others: Don’t do the UFC favors by taking short notice fights, especially against a mean bastard like Fitch.

• elsicilian says:

He should join AKA … at least he’ll never have to fight Swick or Fitch (or Koscheck) in the octagon ever again …

• hindsightufuk says:

i could care a shit about ben saunders