Dramatic UFC 117 headliner named event’s “Fight of the Night”

Perhaps deserving a bit of bonus pay for the pre-bout build, if not for the eye-popping conclusion, UFC 117’s main event between Chael Sonnen and Anderson Silva earned both middleweights an extra $60,000 in pay after being named the show’s ”Fight of the Night”.

Silva, who was dominated by Sonnen’s takedowns and ground control throughout the majority of the match’s four-plus rounds, was able to procure a hybrid triangle-armbar submission from his back and earn the tap-out with less than two minutes remaining in what would have been a championship-losing performance.

News of the bonus was announced at the post-event press conference.

Though Silva’s last-second slickness could have easily earned the evening’s ”Submission of the Night” as well, the distinction was deservedly shared with Matt Hughes for his still-to-be-officially-named choke of Gracie-trained jiujitsu whiz Ricardo Almeida in the opening round of their bout. The submission loss was the first of Almeida’s MMA career, while Hughes hadn’t won in such a manner dating back to his kimura of Joe Riggs in November 2005.

Stefan Struve’s comeback TKO win against the previously undefeated Christian Morecraft likely earned him a lot of respect in the eyes of fans/peers, but it also netted him ”Knockout of the Night” and an extra sixty-thousand dollars. The 6’11″, 22-year old is now 4-2 in the UFC with a trio of finishing performances.

• qat says:

isnt struve now 4-2 in the ufc? – Fixed. Thanks qat. – Staff

• Creature says:

Yeah hes lost 2 JDS and roy nelson

• MCM says:

For the first time in a long time, I have to agree with everyone of those bonuses.

• judojoe says:

Is it me or does Chael have steroid zits on his back?
    My son and wife noticed the same thing. Too old to have that
    many on his back. What do you think?

• elkymbo says:

When Anderson locked in that triangle and finished Sonnen off my mate and I just sat there dumbfounded and speechless for a full two minutes. Instant rematch I say!!!!

• elkymbo says:

Oh yeah and Jon Fitch fights are the single most boring pieces of television in history. I don’t know the last time I payed for something and fast forwarded it. I damn near fell asleep during that one.

• egad81 says:

I think Sonnen deserves a rematch but honestly I dont want to sit through 4 rounds of ground stalling and hugging again.

Silva vs Belfort!!

• MMA-LOGIC says:

I agree with most of the bonuses except Struve, he tapped gloves and in the same action leg kicked his opponent, which I believe provoked him into the exchange. Very bad sportsmanship if you ask me.
    I was upset that Sonnen lost but at least I got something out of the fight that I wanted and that was to show that Silva is not the amazing dominant champion that he is cracked up to be. He can be taken down at will by a good wrestler, controlled and even can be beaten on the feet by a fighter such as Sonnen. I think the aura of invincibility has disappeared and the likes of Jacre, Belfort, Sheilds and GSP would relish a shot at Silva now and I think all would go close. I hope Sonnen gets the rematch and I would consider him to be the underdog no more.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Oh and I love Silva’s “not make excuses but… excuse, excuse, excuse”.
    And yes to watch a Fitch fight is often the prescription given to patients who are allergic to sleeping pills elkymbo. I found myself sitting in my seat making shrugging motions, just willing Alves to shake that horrible bearded octopus off. The good news is you will probably have to fast forward 5 rds next time.

• elkymbo says:

Oh that is not good news. Not good at all. That undercard better be STACKED!!!

• Fitch owned Thiago in stand up and on the ground. I didnt think his constant scramble this time was boring at all. it was better than GSP vs. Hardy

I for one do not want to see the silva/ sonnen rematch… I think it’s more of the same result but less likely to go as far into the rounds… think it would end earlier next time around.

I give props to Sonnen for a good fight but I don’t think it’s an immediate rematch, No need right now.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Come on Rece. It could be argued he was ahead on the cards 40-34 and winning the 5th until he got choked/arm locked. Surely that is a good enough reason , let alone the fact that Sonnen is the only fighter to even test Silva since Hendo. Sonnen dominated for 4 and a half rds Rece and rocked Silva on the feet at least once.
    Actually I would like to see Belfort vs Silva too though.

Sonnen couldn’t finish…

Rece Rock says:
    August 9, 2010 at 3:08 pm
    I love how every one screams for the immediate rematch… Don’t you want to see new opponents?

Why? Cause he almost beat the champ? Props to Sonnen but at the end of the day the guy couldn’t FINISH the fight.

In some cases an immediate re-match is called for… one instance I can think of is Shogun/ Dragon… that was a case for an immediate rematch.

If Zuffa plays into this re-match due to fan interest they aren’t going to get what they pay for cause I’m sure the result will be the same and Chael just showed his full arsenal where Silva gives a different look each time out…

Fans just want to see a long running champ get dethroned… well that’s all well and good but when it happens it happens… you can take any champ and make him fight a good competitor over and over until he loses… what’s the point of that?

• naes says:

In the post fight press conf. Dana said sub of the night went to anderson, but because he never saw anyone finished that way matt got the bonus too. But anderson officially got the bonus.

• Rich S. says:

I would rather see Vitor/Silva, just for something new, but we will most likely see Silva/Sonnen 2 announced soon. Which will officially lock up the last division, as far as title fights go.

At Heavyweight, we’re still waiting for Brock/Cain, which will immediately be followed by Winner/Dos Santos. All the while, the other viable contenders will have to wait/fight it out over the next two years in hopes of an eventual title fight of their own.

We’re waiting for Shogun to recover at LHW and then take on Rashad. Assuming the ending of that fight doesn’t warrant an immediate rematch, the winner of Rampage/Machida is next in line already. So, it will be quite a loooong time before any other LHW contenders get their shot.

At Welter, we’re waiting for an entire season of TUF to finish, then a title fight, aaaaand THEN another title fight with Fitch before anyone else gets a shot.

Lightweight is almost cleared up after Penn/Edgar 2, that is, assuming they don’t immediately call for the rubber match. And once the smoke clears from Penn and Edgar, I believe Maynard and Florian are fighting for the next shot already?

Either I’ve never given much thought to these title shot promises/rematches, or they’ve just really gotten out of hand this year.

• MCM says:

I agree with Rece that there should be no immediate rematch and the reason should be clear, Silva finished the fight. I was routing for Sonnen in this one and yes, he did beat the hell out of Anderson for 4.5 rounds, but Silva pulled out the finish. Chael didn’t loose because of bad reffing, there was no poor judging or eye pokes or anything else that may have called into question how the fight ended.
    Serra didn’t get an rematch against Shonney after dominating for 3 rnds, Hallman didn’t get one against Howard after dominating for the entire fight, because, in the end, they were finished. Whether the 1st round or the 5th, Chael tapped. As good as his game plan was, it wasn’t enough to beat the Spider in the end.
    With that said, two more wins and he should get another shot at the title.