“UFC 117: Silva vs. Sonnen” Live Results

FiveOuncesofPain.com will be here all evening to bring you all of the latest live results and happenings from UFC 117.

5 Oz coverage of the event will kick off when the first fighters touch gloves at roughly 7:30 p.m. ET (4:30 p.m. PT).

UFC Middleweight Champion Anderson “The Spider” Silva faces off with decorated wrestler Chael Sonnen in a 185 lb title fight in the main event of the evening, while Jon Fitch and Thiago Alves will meet for the second time to determine a number one challenger to the winner of an upcoming welterweight title fight between Georges St Pierre and Josh Koshceck in the co-headliner of the evening.

UFC 117 takes place this evening, August 7, from the Oracle Arena in Oakland, California.

A ful list of results from the event are below:

Dennis Hallman def. Ben Saunders via unanimous decision (29-28, 30-27, 29-28)

Stefan Struve def. Christian Morecraft via TKO (punches) – Round 1, 0:22

Tim Boetsch def. Todd Brown via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)

Johny Hendricks def. Charlie Brenneman via TKO (punches) – Round 2, 0:40

Phil Davis def. Rodney Wallace via unanimous decision (30-26, 30-27, 30-27)

Ricky Story def. Dustin Hazelett via TKO (punches) – Round 2, 1:15

Junior Dos Santos def. Roy Nelson via unanimous decision (30-26, 30-27, 30-27)

Matt Hughes def. Ricardo Almeida via technical submission (modified arm-triangle choke) – Round 1, 3:15

Clay Guida def. Rafael Dos Anjos via submission (jaw injury) – Round 3, 1:51

Jon Fitch def. Thiago Alves via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)

Anderson Silva def. Chael Sonnen via submission (armbar) – Round 5, 3:10

• MMABC15 says:

All the way around, this is a very intriguing card. As for picks here we go, if anybody even cares hahaha.

Silva via 2nd round tko
    Fitch via TKO!!
    Guida via UDecision
    Hughes via UD
    NELSON via 2nd round Sub

Hazellet, Struve, Saunders, Hendricks, Boetsch!

Lets see how I fair tonite, hopefully better than I did last week!

I really hope that Silva can punish Sonnen through the first round badly, and then finish it off in the 2nd. Sonnen went a little overboard trying to sell this fight IMO, but then again, the main reason I want to see this fight is to see Sonnen get totally brutalized, thanks to the amount of crap he said about Silva.

• BigDave says:

i want to see silva eating elbow on the ground just to humble him and sonnen will be the next champ. Sonnens trash talking has been great to listen to and i certainly hope he backs it up.

• BillyWarhol says:

Props to Roy Nelson fer withstanding that onslaught o Hard Punches + Bigger Props to Junior Dos Santos for not allowing Roy to take him down – a Solid Fight + Solid Win!!

• BillyWarhol says:

wow on Matt Hughes!! POWER!! + special thx again to Dufresne!!! 😉

• BillyWarhol says:

I think Clay got da Sub + Broke Rafael’s Jaw!! 😉

• BillyWarhol says:

??? Struve got Pummeled 1st Rd!! is it April Fool’s Day or OPEN BAR!!! ;PPP

• Genesis says:

I see Fitch is going to use the wet blanket approach.

• BillyWarhol says:

It ain’t Over til the FAT Lady Sings!!! poor Sonnen he had it – completely Dominated Silva’s Ass fer over 4 1/2 Rounds – 2 Mins away – Chin Up Repube!! ;PPP

• MCM says:

Incredible display by Sonnen.
    He may very well be a dick, but he backed up everything he said, and beat the Spider like no one else ever has. He also just laid the blue print for how to take the belt from Anderson. No we know why Silva never wanted to go to the ground.

• ian27 says:

So close!!!!!! Sonnen you made me a believer!!! If B.J. Penn got an immeadiate rematch then so should Sonnen… What a display and what a great card with the exception of the humpfest put on by Jon Fitch. And who knew that a drunk grizzley bear would last 3 rounds with Junior Dos Santos!!
    Still can’t believe what I just saw!! When’s the next PPV?!!

• twyg says:

On the “will the real abderson siva please stand up” thread I posted my picks and went five for five. Hughes won I thought it was going til the thrid but he got the sub in the first. Couldn’t be more disappointed with being right about the spider winning. When the rematch happens (december with the gsp/kos fight hopefully) Sonnen will finish what he started. The clock is ticking on the title reign of Anderson Silva.

• Creature says:

Im am so f***ing p***ed right now! but am so happy that chael literally beat silvas face in, beat him standing and on the ground, if ANYONE deserves an instant rematch its chael, more than bj, more than shogun, more than anyone, in my eyes chael is the champ. and if he doesnt take the rematch. GSP please run through koscheck so u can go anihilate silva like sonnon but without the sub.

i was very impressed with hughes, wow hes def not showing signs of age, next couture maybe??
    and as much as i like fitch i say make him wait, give GSP 2 silva PLEASE

• Rich S. says:

I’m sure I’ll say this again with more depth, anger and confusion when the wrap-up article is up.

Anderson only fought to maybe 30% of his capability and skill. For now, I commend Sonnen for his chin, and for what he was able to do tonight. But Anderson fought very stupidly and uncharacteristically, not to mention injured, and I would only be truly amazed if this happened a second time.

• raker says:

A few points……..

1. Wow!! Sonnen backed up his smack talk. I was surprised that he dominated as he did.

2. At the pre-fight press conference, Sonnen stated that he basically wouldn’t respect Anderson after the fight nd he didn’t know what it was. Well, Silva bowed at Sonnen’s feet after the fight in a terrific show of respect despite all of Chael’s trash talking. Thats respect, sportsmanship and acknowledgment of Sonnen’s great fight. Kudos to Anderson.

3. It was good to see Silva go through some adversity and come out in the winning end of the stick. I know he’ll likely be trashed for the fight but he showed heart and grit, and really came through in the championship rounds. They won’t all be highlight reel finishes and I enjoyed seeing him fight through what was a certain defeat.

4. Despite what I mentioned above, the crowd still boo’ed Anderson at the end of the fight. Classless in my opinion.

5. We’ve seen some supposed unbeatable champions lose or go through tremendous adversity, including losses lately…(Penn, Fedor, Machida, Silva, Lesnar). GSP and Aldo may be the only really high end champs left and are both scheduled to fight. Will we see them lose or battle through tough fights with Gamburyan and Koscheck? Or will they dominate and rise to the top of the P4P best?

• Lethal Liquid says:

Silva didn’t look right in this fight. In that 4th round he could’ve taken Sonnen out but allowed himself to be taken down. He generally looked disinterested. Was’nt mentally sharp. When I saw him bring Steven Seagal to the ring I said. ‘What the fuck is he doing there. His mind seems to be somewhere else of late. Despite all that he found a way to win. Making this instant classic fight.

• Niv says:

Hey Bigbadjohn, you were so right about Sonnen I still can’t believe what I saw.

Sonnen is probably sick to his stomach right now as he knows he should have left the octagon as the new UFC MW Champion.

I feel terrible for him as he proved me and every doubter out there that he really belonged in the ring with Silva.

I really wished he pulled out the win but Silva proved that the fight is never over till it’s over.

I hope Sonnen gets his re-match and finishes what he started, I can’t believe he couldn’t finish it.

• WOW. what a night of fights. other than big country i called the main card to a T. I was gettin scared but i never gave up that Anderson would find a way to get it done. That Elbow he hit Chael with in the 4th was UGLY. Props to Chael he backed it all up and almost beat that hole in the spiders head. That hughes choked out was awesome. No one affiliated with gracie should mess with Matt Hughes.

• Creature says:

Hughes is like sakuraba haha hes the new gracie killer :)

• allianceBJJ says:

So I wake up this morning with happiness known Anderson is human. I wake up to read what everyone is saying about the event. True MMA fans will also be bothered as much as I am. If I have to read another article saying that Spider won due to Triangle Choke, i’m gonna give my self one. Spider at the start at the submission attempt he was goin to a choke then went to the very painful armbar. I’m a hugh Spider fan but I call BS on the rib issue. The card was a great. Now I sit back and wait to see how quick they make this rematch happen. Let see if Sonnen can might punish Spider again.

• Spoken says:

first off, much respect for sonnen and what he did in that fight. however, people saying that in their eyes sonnen should be the champ for that 4 round beating is ridiculous. he got submitted. whether its first round or fifth is irrelevant when a fight is finished. sure it showed some strength in sonnens game and some holes in silvas, but silva got it done. sonnen did it before against maia and babalu hes gotta watch for that leg comin over the top.
    also, saying sonnen deserves the rematch more than shogun or penn is a bit misguided. the fight was finished. sonnen tapped. silva won. end of story. give sonnen 1 fight to re earn his chance and id be set but an immediate rematch AGAIN in a title fight would blow.

• bigbadjohn says:

Chael Sonnen. Didnt get the win BUT backed up his trash talk about as much as possible without securing a win. That guys pace makes me tired. He was relentless, he wasnt even warned to ‘keep working’ because no matter what position he was in, he found a way to hit Silva. And the stand-up exchanges… I must bow to Sonnen for his fearlessness. Just like Rich S but with a far less absurb angle, I want to tear into this analytically. Please post about the big fight 5 ozs.!

• bigbadjohn says:

And to Niv, I appreciate your respect. It’s a lesson to fighters everywhere: Never count out those damn wrestlers! Anderson was outclassed for 4.5 rounds but props to him, he showed champion heart and found a way to win. I feel awfully for Chael, he almost walked out of an Anderson fight with a belt, a scorecard which read 50-45 by all 3 judges, and one cut (gotta remember it some way). But alas, he didnt. He made fans galore, and ironically he probably helped Silvas fanbase grow as well. Everyone heard Chael’s post fight comments, did anyone think he sounded like he even wanted a rematch?? And Anderson’s comments, jeeeeezzzz, “I don’t want to make excuses, but I will…”. Sonnen said it best in the pre-fight interview, “I’m sore, tired, under the weather, overtrained and undermotivated but I’m still tough enough to beat this guy”. You didn’t beat him buddy, but Anderson’s waking up this morning, realizing it wasn’t a bad dream, his face and body hurt worse than they ever have in his career, and he did get beat on for almost 25 minutes straight almost unopposed.

• stone says:

All I wanted was Chael to back up at least half the shit he talked and he did! What a heart breaker for Chael, he really needs to work triangle defense… As far as him laying the “blueprint” for beating the spider, that’s easier said than done. No one has that relentless pace of wrestling like Chael in the 185er division… Their’s a few in the WW division that could move up n get that belt! GSP n Fitch could most likely give AS the same type of beatdown. The question is are they mentally as tough as Chael?… I doubt it!

• Niv says:

Bigbadjohn I never have had a problem admitting when I’m wrong, nevertheless I think your above commentary was bang on. I have a new found respect for Sonnen and have to give the champ his dues for pulling out a win when it looked like it was a done deal.

• Creature says:

My list of top 5 favorite fighters is now, rich franklin, dan henderson, randy couture, jon fitch, and now chael sonnon…

he didnt just dominate silva, didnt just dominate in 1 area, he did it in every area, had him running scared in the 1st in the standup, and came out winning every exchange except 4 one in my eyes. and it was as he said “it will be a one sided beating and im swinging the hammer” and he swung that hammer hard.

he just beatdown the so called p4p best for 4 and a half rounds, no matter what happens. no one can take that from u chael. you are a monster

• stone says:

Guida n Raf was an awesome fight. JDS is a BAD man. Hughes is still competitive, that was a sweet “hillbilly wrasllin” choke. Fitch should’ve finished the fight and will most likely not get the title shot because his wins are borring desicions… That’s all 5oz’s I’m outtie… Be back tomorrow!

• Creature says:

And stone i completely agree, except that fitch is just as mentally tough, u cant break him lol

• ChuckW says:

Wow the Silva haters are still hating….since when does almost winning a fight get that much praise. How many people are gonna give James Toney those kind of props if he wabbles Randy with a punch before he gets put on his back and gets ground and pounded. Chael talked and talked and got 2.5 mins form the finish line and tapped. The fact that Anderson can be getting dominated for 4.5 rounds and still work to finish a fight and get the submission proves he is the P4P best fighter in the world. Not one comment about how Anderson proved he has a Chin or that given time and opportunity he can finish anyone from his back. Chael mauled him and he pulled out a victory. Yes, Chael’s profile got raised, he is a name now and has been Anderson’s toughest test….but that’s not the story…The Story is Anderson passed that Test. As for a rematch going the other way I don’t think so. Chael fought the best fight he could possibly fight and lost….Anderson has a lot he can improve and has the submission game to fall back on.

• nope says:

It was strange that they didn’t do a post fight interview w/ Fitch…..

• infamousmma says:

wow the best i seen sonnen ever still dont like the guy but he did what he said. i had a lot of people over and two were pulling for sonnen and they were pissed. sonnens problem is he talks trash on bjj and i believe its because he is prone to falling into it most his losses are due to sub i never gave up on silva everyone else pretty much did i told everyone just wait it aint over he will turn up the heat started too i said he will submit him from the ground but wow what a beating cant deny best p4p…matt hughes wow before the start of the fight i said wouldnt it be great if hughes subs almeida :)… JDS threw everything but the kitchen sink still couldnt get the ko almost did but dude has power true contender there… guida like i said pace =advantage not really a big fan but this one was ok semi entertaining imo now for fitch when i heard he came in overweight and wasnt going to drop the other .5lb i knew this fight wasnt for him not in shape and he wasnt going to be himself when i first saw the card months ago i thought diff i. my picks last night i think i was 96 percent right with losing the fitch fight that was my upset i think but i dont remember if i posted fitch for win but hoping alves with the ko victory so im going with 96 percent wins one loss tonight best ive done in a long time…

• infamousmma says:

but for an immediate rematch i say no cuz belfort is actually next in line and was before sonnen.. silva did not look good and for people calling bs on the rib injury you dont know things happen in training mabe he got kicked maybe something really happened but either way not 100 percent he looked like he wanted to lose really so he could retire ore move up.. but with belfort i think he has what it takes to beat silva more of a silva fan but i have enjoyed belfort in the past and glad he is back been sayin for a couple years hope he comes back things will change.. and for all the other forums people wanting to see silva vs roy jones go one wiki and read its scheduled to happen but he cannot be under contract with the ufc dana wont allow it its gonna happen under boxing rules they have both agreed.. brighten your day with that

• twyg says:

The reason I think Sonnen will win the rematch is because he proved last night that he has what it takes. As for giving Silva props; he did what he had to do. Silva was able to capitalize on Sonnens mistake and get the W. I don’t think Silva will be able to stop Sonnen from taking him down and grinding out a victory. My proof of this is last night. No one he trains with can do what Sonnen does. Machida wasn’t able to counter Shogun the second time around and the same will happen to Silva, but not in as dramatic fashion as Machida/Shogun 2. All Sonnen has to do is exicute his game plan and the title is his. Again though props to Silva for being able to pull victory from the jaws of defeat, and for having one hell of a chin.

• ChuckW says:

The same can be said for Sonnen….obviously Chael doesn’t spend enough time on his BJJ or rolling with guys that can beat him. Getting takedowns is great but if you can’t finish the fight in a 25 min MMA match what you are is a one dimensional target. If you give any good BJJ practitioner that much time he’s gonna find a way to make you tap. History has shown is Silva has better takedown defense than he showed at 117…The Hendo fight and the Lutter Fight are proof. History has also shown as great a wrestler as Chael is he has always been prone to getting caught in Submissions. I don’t see Chael winning the rematch cause I don’t see him evolving because he is who he is he thinks its “Gay” and doesn’t want to do it. Anderson is gonna improve…heal or whatever and I guarantee he’ll be better than he was in this fight….and he won this fight.

I love how every one screams for the immediate rematch… Don’t you want to see new opponents?

Why? Cause he almost beat the champ? Props to Sonnen but at the end of the day the guy couldn’t FINISH the fight.

In some cases an immediate re-match is called for… one instance I can think of is Shogun/ Dragon… that was a case for an immediate rematch.

If Zuffa plays into this re-match due to fan interest they aren’t going to get what they pay for cause I’m sure the result will be the same and Chael just showed his full arsenal where Silva gives a different look each time out…

Fans just want to see a long running champ get dethroned… well that’s all well and good but when it happens it happens… you can take any champ and make him fight a good competitor over and over until he loses… what’s the point of that?