“UFC 117: Silva vs. Sonnen” Weigh-In Results

Fans in Oakland expecting a run-of-the-mill UFC 117 weigh-in earlier today ended up getting much more than they bargained for though all eleven bouts will still take place as scheduled.

UFC middleweight champ Anderson Silva (184.5) refused to look at contender Chael Sonnen (185) during the standard post-weight staredown, opting to instead turn his attention towards the crowd in a move mimicking Sonnen’s behavior at a press conference earlier this week.

Meanwhile, Thiago Alves was forced to fully disrobe in hopes of dropping a half-pound to make the welterweight limit but was unable to do so and registered at 171.5 on the scale. As a result of coming in heavy, the hard-hitting Brazilian’s paycheck will in turn be much lighter than normal due to the 20% fine he’ll be paying out to opponent Jon Fitch for the lack of professionalism. It is the second time Alves has missed weight in the UFC.

A full list of weigh-in results from “UFC 117: Silva vs. Sonnen” can be found below:

Ben Saunders (171) vs. Dennis Hallman (171)

Stefan Struve (247) vs. Christian Morecraft (263)

Tim Boetsch (206) vs. Todd Brown (206)

Johny Hendricks (171) vs. Charlie Brenneman (171)

Phil Davis (205.5) vs. Rodney Wallace (206)

Dustin Hazelett (169.5) vs. Rick Story (169.5)

Clay Guida (156) vs. Rafael dos Anjos (156)

Junior dos Santos (240) vs. Roy Nelson (263)

Matt Hughes (170.5) vs. Ricardo Almeida (170.5)

Jon Fitch (170.5) vs. Thiago Alves (171.5)

Anderson Silva (184.5) vs. Chael Sonnen (185)

• Dufresne says:

Alves came in over weight, that’s a shocker…

• raker says:

I’m surprised that he couldn’t lose another half pound in two hours and was fined 20% of his purse. A little more sauna time surely would have allowed him to sweat another half pound out.

• I am glad to see Dennis Hallman back again. I really think Saunders will have his hands full with that guy. Half pound for Alves..I’m surprised he could loose the weight but ye ha. I am stoked for these fights, Bring It On!!

• Yourdaddydevilandlord says:

It’s easy to say, but calling him out so bad for a half pound, I mean yeah he had to bust ass to get to that but it really isn’t THAT big of a deal. He has to pay for it, so be it, he is fine with it, chill out. Acting like he raped the integrity of the sport and all….

• 40oz says:

Man i aint a Silva fan but the bs comin out of sonnem i want to see a gods smack from Silva. Was on hdnet fight night and made an ass of himself with kruck.

• and yet Alves is guaranteed another title shot if he wins? Personally I think they should fire/force him to move to middleweight. This is at least the fourth time he’s failed weight and Dana keeps rewarding him but yet he threatens to fire the best of all time for demanding his opponent actually fight him? (When Silva was screamin at Maia to actually try and stop hoping against rational thought) DW needs to get his priorities straight and quit playin favorites to KO artists just due to their exciting style. Thiago has gotten away with this too many times to really care anymore.

• sensiman says:

I loved the way Silva didnt even look at Sonnen at the weigh in. I really hope Silva shuts that big mouth of Sonnen…..He is starting to give me a headach with all that jaw jacking.

• Lethal Liquid says:

I think it would be appropriate if Anderson can find a way to break this cats jaw. That would be beyond funny. If not face re-arrangement is okay.

• stone says:

Silva looks pissed off!…too bad for chael. I’m guessing Alves is gonna be pretty eff’n dehydrated, which effects his stamina/cardio. That’s the department u sure as hell don’t wanna be lacking in with a mfr like Fitch! Fitch better finish this fight! If I were Dana, that’s the only way you get a shot at the strap! FINISH FIGHTS PLEASE!

• Lord Faust says:

I don’t think Fitch is required to finish the fight. I largely agree with Joe Rogan, “if Jon Fitch can hold you down and grind you down for 3 rounds, too bad! Do something about it.” As much as I give Fitch — and other top tier wrestlers — grief for their decision wins, there is still an onus on their opponents to counter the strategy.

Top shelf wrestling is an amazing ability, and can go a long way in a fight; no doubt about that. But it’s not as though good wrestling will guarantee a win. Hating Fitch for his decision victories is misguided; his opponents weren’t able to stop him from doing it. I’d be more upset with them, than Fitch, IMO.

• stone says:

I hear ya Faust… But how about a “wrestler finish” like a brutal GnP or a powerbomb! When was Fitch’s last finished fight? I can’t remember! Maybe it was the 1st time he fought Alves! LoL… If I were Alves I would be practicing “vicious elbows” from the bottom 24/7!

• BigDave says:

Thiago is a good fighter but really needs to either get more disaplined in his training, or if he physically can’t make 170 anymore maybe its time to move up to 185. Glad all others made weight, should be a great night of fights.

I know I’m in the minority on this site (shocker there! 😉 ) but I think Sonnen has a very legit shot to beat Silva and take his title. It may be exactly what Anderson needs to get his head back into being one of the best fighters in the world or this prancing mocking ego hound he has been in the octagon his last few fights.

The guy I’m truly waiting to see tonight though is Clay Guida. This dude win or lose doesn’t seem to be able to have a boring fight if his opponent is willing to stand and bang. With an opponent like Dos Anjos though with only 1 tko to his credit in 14 wins look like guida is gonna have to stuff some takedowns and try to make him not want to shoot in.

Any way you look at it though it should be a good night of fights, Enjoy All!

• kos-checkyoself says:

is there ANYWHERE to watch the undercard besides being there live? I’m gettin the PPV and I’m a loyal fan… I don’t even care if I have to pay extra, but DAMN man, how are we supposed to be fans of anyone other than main carders if we can’t see them anywhere but on UFC unleashed a year after they fight?

• drstu says:

what a suprise that alves didn’t make weight…

consider how much more Lesnar made than Carwin in their fight. giving up 20% of that seems like small potatoes. if this is the only penalty the UFC is going to hand out, why bother cutting weight? Brock could fight 3 times a year and still bring in over a mil after the deductions.

• Brendhan Conlan says:

I could be wrong, but I believe you can order the undercard via streaming broadcast through the UFC’s website.

• Dufresne says:

If I remember right it’s not the UFC or the fighting promotion that stipulates the fines for missing weight, it’s the athletic commission. I’m not positive if all commissions have the same penalties for missing weight or not, but I remember reading somewhere that many times only half of the fined amount actually goes to the opponent and the other half goes to the commission itself. Seems like a pretty good incentive by the athletic commission to allow fighters to miss weight as many times as they want.