Tim Sylvia vs. Paul Buentello set for championship-packed PWP event in Irvine

The California Gold Rush is no longer a thing of the past, at least where Powerhouse World Promotion’s upcoming “War on the Mainland” show is concerned. Former UFC heavyweight champ Tim Sylvia will get another crack at hoisting a belt above his head on August 14th in Irvine, California as one of a number of competitors with Octagon experience slated for title-fights on the card.

“The Maine-iac” will face fellow UFC veteran Paul Buentello for PWP’s heavyweight strap in a main-event bout sure to deliver stand-up fireworks and most likely a knockout ending.

Also squaring off over gold at the event are two fighters whose individual styles are polar opposites to those of the heavyweight headliners. Matt Horwich and Thales Leites will test each others’ might on the ground for the PWP Middleweight Championship in a battle of American wrestling vs. Brazilian Jiujitsu sure to wow fans of high-level grappling. Leites will be looking for his fourth consecutive victory since parting ways with the UFC, while former IFL 185-pound champ Horwich will be simply hoping to right his proverbial ship with a win after dropping six of his last eight fights (all by decision).

Rounding out the trio of title-fights, 25-11 Jason Lambert will do his best to avoid the slick submissions of eight-time World BJJ champion Allan Goes and take home the PWP light heavyweight belt in the process. Lambert is 2-0 in 2010, and though Goes hasn’t fought in three years his reputation in the sport speaks for itself.

“War on the Mainland” will take place at the Bren Events Center on 8/14/10 in Irvine, California and will be available on cable/satellite PPV starting at 7:00PT/10:00ET.

• fanoftna33 says:

Cant wait for Paul vs Tim, we should get a good stand up fight. Tim unlike Kongo wont try to take Paul down every time he gets hit (I hope). And both have some real power.
    Kind of interested to see how Goes does, I remember seeing him for the first time at the ultimate Japan, got destroyed by Tank Abbott then.

Glad to see timmy getting a step up in competion, atleast Buenatello is not so far off from his last UFC run. I’m sure Buenatello and Timmy are both pretty one dimensional and both failed to evolve as quickly as the competition but as far as stand up goes these guys are probably going to bang it out… Pauly B. for the TKO/ KO… I think Paul is just a tough SOB.

• Brendhan Conlan says:

Terry Martin is also fighting on the card. Should be a good event to go to for those in the area. Also, I support anything that takes place in a “Bren” arena/stadium/hall/etc.. :)

• MCM says:

Anyone else think it’s weird that Horwich is fighting for a belt with a 2-6 record in his past 8?

Timmay v Buentello is a good nostalgia fight. Should be a good standup war of sloppy power punches, but a lot of fun to watch. Buentello is easily the toughest test Sylvia has had since getting “Zulu’d” by Fedor, and if he shows up in shape and can get the stopage it would be a big boost for his career at this point. I still think Timmay is a dangerous fighter and could do quite well in an org like Strikeforce or over in Japan.

I’m also hoping Lambert is gonna run through Goes. Lambert has hit a pretty bad skid but I’ve always enjoyed watching him fight. I’m thinking he does to Goes what he did to Sobral back in the day.

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

Tim Sylvia should KO Paul in the first or second

• Guthookd says:

MCM, I hate to take issue with another 5oz regular like your self, but calling Paul and Tim’s striking sloppy is just way off base. Neither of them have a ground game, neither are in their prime, but both of them have CRISP and CLEAN striking.

For a lower-level card this one should be great. There are so many UFC “veterans” out there who are unemployed at this time that damn near any promotion can put on a card with known names included, at least in the headliner.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

This should be a win for Tim but you never know. I would like to see Tim face off with guys like Dos Santos, Carwin and Bigfoot but Buentello is a goodish fighter and should provide a good match up style wise (they are not going to shoot or pull guard often).

• MCM says:

I’m afraid we’re gonna have to agree to disagree Guthookd. Tim may have a crisp Jab but neither of them are are clean a striker as fighters like Dos Santos, Cain, Schaub.

I do agree with your other point. There are a lot of UFC haters out there but one can’t deny the boost they have given to a lot of fighters careers.

• Guthookd says:

Fair enough my friend.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

I would take Tim against Schuab and Valasquez in a striking match any day and I would love to see Sylvia vs Dos Santos in a MMA match.