Nate Marquardt vs. Rousimar Palhares set to headline UFC Fight Night 22

An originally scheduled fight between Nate Marquardt and Rousimar Palhares has been moved from UFC 118 to Ultimate Fight Night 22.

After an eye injury suffered by Alan Belcher, who had been expected to face off with Demian Maia, the promotion made the decision to move the bout between Marquardt and Palhares from the main card of UFC 118 to the main event of UFN 22.

No word is Demian Maia will still compete on the card or if he will fight on a different card.

The story was originally reported by MMAWeekly.

Marquardt is coming off of a tough loss to Chael Sonnen at UFC 109, a fight that could’ve netted Marquardt a rematch with Anderson Silva. Before the loss, Marquardt had been on a three fight winning streak with victories over Martin Kampmann, Wilson Gouveia, and Demian Maia. The former King of Pancrase is 29-9 in his MMA career, with eight victories in the UFC.

Palhares is a submission specialist has gone 4-1 in the UFC and is known for finishing his opponents with a nasty heel hook. His only loss in the UFC came against Dan Henderson in 2008, and has picked up victories over Ivan Salaverry, Jeremy Horn, Lucio Linhares, and Tomasz Drwal. A victory over Marquardt could find him in the title hunt.

Ultimate Fight Night 22 occurs on September 15 and emanates from the Frank Erwin Center in Austin, Texas.

• fanoftna33 says:

could be a great fight, hope to see Nate get the w here, but Palharis is a beast, if he wins its Palharis vs Okami in a title eliminator.

• stone says:

Awesome! I was wondering how they would be able to fix fight nite. Great solution UFC! I don’t think Okami is really in the mix! No quality finishes! Guess only time will tell…

• Creature says:

Palhares is a monster, has a solid chin as shown in the hendo fight he took alot of big shots and hendo’s shots at that. but even with that said im pulling 4 my boy nate the great, i think he will do exactly what hendo did 2 him

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Would rather see Phalhares vs Maia and Nate vs Belfort, Bisping, Leben or Wanderlei.
    This will just be Phalhares trying to avoid stand up exchanges whilst trying to take it to the ground and Nate trying to stand, this usually means it will be a frustrating yawn fest.

• boomnutz says:

lol…did you just use whilst?! awesome, anyway i agree with Stone Okami isn’t in the mix until he starts knocking people the F&*% out…I don’t Palhares is in the mix, even with a W here he’d have to come and beat someone else impressive first…I really hope Nate wins this one

• JabCrossHook says:

Nate vs Belfort is a good fight but I honestly see Nate going to sleep. There’s not an area which Nate is good at that Belfort isn’t better or just as good.

I’m a fan of Nate but I was really let down with that Sonnen loss… I can’t stand Chael.

• MCM says:

I love Nate Marquardt too and think he’s easily one of the top 3 MW’s in the world, but this is a tough fight for him. Palhares is a beast of a fighter and Chael showed a massive chink in Nate’s armor. Palhares is in no way near as good a wrestler as Sonnen but he is one of the best ground fighters in the game. I think that if Nate keeps this standing he wins it hands down. If/when it goes to the ground, Nate’s top game is more than good enough to avoid the sub attempts from Palhares but if he gets put on his back it’s gonna be a long night for Marquart.

• bigbadjohn says:

Where do these Vitor boners come from that Ive seen so much of since his win over Rich? A lot of people seem to have short memory. Randy and Tito both beat him and Alistair did twice. I think Belfort and Marquardt would be a wonderfully competitive match but the way I hear fans talk about Vitor it would seem he could take Anderson out with ease. And personally I cant think of a more dangerous opponent than Silva for the always quick to engage Belfort

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

I have Palhares winning this fight by submission-as far as Vitor goes-I think he is reborn at 185 and will be very competitive-that being said-being competitive doesn’t mean you can beat Anderson Silva

• boomnutz says:

bigbadjohn, i hear you bro, i don’t get where all the Vitor love comes from, i mean terry martin and Matt Lindland, aren’t anything to write home about, and his victory over Franklin, looked flukey, i hate to take a away credit from a victory, but it looked more like a slip coupled with a few shots to the back of the head… and what about the fact that he looked real soft, certainly not like before, i for one think Nate vs Belfort would be one of the best MW fights possible, as i still think no one can hold a candle to the spider!

• stone says:

Yep! Vitor is good but I think he’s not even Top 5… I would put Nate, Belcher, and Leben over Vitor… Vitor can beat anyone with a weak chin. (Rich, Maia, Bisping etc.) If you give him someone with a sturdy chin and above average wrestling he’s bound to lose! I think Belcher once recovered should fight Vitor next. Why Vitor was up for the 185 title? Beats the hell out of me!

• Creature says:

Yes vitor shouldnt have gotten the title shot. it should have went 2 hendo or marquardt. i also agree it looked like franklin just got cought. if they rematched id go with franklin 4 the W. but maybe im just 2 big of a franklin fan?? anyway i say give belcher winner of bisping/akayama (or however u spell it) and marquardt winner of leben/wanderlei.

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

No one wants to see Hendo or Marquardt face Anderson again-That is why Vitor is being pushed into the title shot-that being said-I seriously think that the only challenge to Anderson Silva comes from Jon Jones or Cain Velasquez