Jones batters Matyushenko, Gomi lamps Griffin during UFC on Versus 2

Jon “Bones” Jones continued his run through the UFC‘s light heavyweight division this evening with spectacular, one-sided demolition of experienced veteran Vladimir Matyushenko during UFC on Versus 2.

The action took place this evening from the San Diego Sports Arena in California while airing on the Versus network.

Jones took ‘The Janitor’ to the canvas earliy in the first round and escaped an early shoulder-lock attempt before placing the seasoned wrestler in a crucifix position where he proceded to club away at his face with elbows until referee Herb Dean decided he had seen enough.

Yushin Okami gritted out decorated wrestler Mark Munoz in a hard-fought, back-and-forth battle. Both fighters had their moments but ultimately it was Okami’s takedown defense and technical striking ability that earned him the decision on two of the three scorecards for the split decision nod.

Putting up the overall most impressive performance of the night was PRIDE veteran Takanari “Fireball Kid” Gomi, who hit Tyson Griffin on the stop button with a massive right hand just a minute into the bout for the shocking knockout victory.

A full list of results from the event are below:

Jon Jones def. Vladimir Matyushenko via TKO (strikes) – Round 1

Yushin Okami def. Mark Munoz via split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)

Jake Ellenberger def. John Howard via TKO (eye injury) – Round 3

Takanori Gomi def. Tyson Griffin via KO (punch) – Round 1

Jacob Volkmann def. Paul Kelly via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)

Matt Riddle def. DaMarques Johnson via TKO – Round 2

Igor Pokrajac def. James Irvin via submission (rear-naked choke) – Round 1

Brian Stann def. Mike Massenzio via submission (triangle choke) – Round 3

Charles Oliveira def. Darren Elkins via submission (armbar) – Round 1

Rob Kimmons def. Steve Steinbeiss via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)

• Guthookd says:

Bones.

Stay classy San Diego

• Jstew3785 says:

It’s a fact. It’s the greatest city in the history of mankind. Discovered by the Germans in 1904. They named it San Diago which of course in German means a whale’s vagina.

• Dufresne says:

Stay classy San Diego

Favorite line of the night.

Gomi may have done something no one else has managed in KO’ing Griffin, but Jones also managed to stop Matyushenko faster than anyone else in history. Including AA when he was still destroying people.

I’ve never seen anyone destroy people so quickly and yet so methodically before. Especially not a 23 year old. Once he got Matyushenko to the ground he took his time working his way into a better position, but man, once he got there he let those elbows fly! Those weren’t some weak looking “the ref’s gonna have to stop this since you can’t defend yourself” elbows, those were some “the ref’s gonna have to stop this because otherwise you’re face is getting broken” elbows.
    Vlad isn’t exactly a pushover either, the guy only had only been stopped twice before. And those were to guys named Rogerio Nogueira and Arlovski.

I recognized that he had serious talent after O’Brien. I was impressed after Hamill. I was amazed after Vera. Now? Now I’m just speechless. This kid has it.

• Lethal Liquid says:

The true test actually begins now for my boy. Dana its time to stop playing with this dude. Like I said before that title shot is coming in 2011. Love his fights he makes it look easy. Forrest Griffin step right up you get to get your ass kicked next.

• fanoftna33 says:

So happy Gomi is back in the W colum and with a KO over never been stopped and tough SOB Tyson Griffen. Everybody wanted to see the old Gomi and finally we did. I think Tyson is still a top LW and one hell of a fun fighter to watch though, but damm I cant wait to see Gomi on PPV. Ellenburger looked great but Hpward also looked tough but had no doubt it should have been stopped, that eye was nasty.
    Okami won but that second round was tough.

• fanoftna33 says:

Just read that Cecil Peoples was the judge who scored the fight 29- 28 for Munoz giving him round 1 and 2. Wow is that guy getting worse or what? Monoz got one takedown in round 1 for about 25 seconds while Okami controlled the rest standing, and for a former olympic hopeful wrestler Munoz didnt look good, i am wondering if he was not 100 %. but a great fight by both guys.

• Dufresne says:

I’m starting to wonder if he’s judging some of these closer fights like this just to piss us off.

• stone says:

Jones got a “gift-wrapped” W!!! We all knew Vlad had a snow ball chance in hell to win this fight! Okami looked good but not great as always. I never thought Munoz had a shot he’s a mid-shelf 85er at best! Okami never gets a title shot because he NEVER finishes fights. He finish that “tomato can”, last time out n Evan Tanner(RIP) awhile back but, other than that his fights are ussually boring! Howard n Ellenberger should get FOTN! That was pretty good! Gomi was the Man of the Hour IMO! Boy that was AWESOME! I think everyone has been sleeping on Gomi and that KO power of his! Hell even though he got picked apart by KenFlo he almost scored a KO in the 3rd! He hits like a ton of bricks! Tyson is an over-rated decision fighter and I couldn’t be happier he got KO’d! Give Gomi his KO Bonus! Oliveira obviously deserves his Sub of the Night bonus as well! JON BONES JONES vs. ANDERSON THE SPIDER SILVA! UFC gods, make it happen! Don’t dodge him either Jones/Jackson Camp!!!

• BigDave says:

well like i said Munoz doesnt deserve any of the hype he gets, he has stepped up twice and got handled with ease both times.whichever moron gave him a round needs to be pistol whipped.

Its official Gomi throws bombs. What a ko that was, love griffin but dude you got ktfo.

Bones has passed yet another task and with absolute ease, Next its onto possable rashad or maybe griffin for him and then im guessing one more fight before a title shot.

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

Give Jon Jones a title shot!-Franklin and Forrest would be a waste of time-Cecil Peoples should be fired as soon as possible-what a joke-I could be blind deaf and dumb and be a better judge than he is-makes me wonder if that slouch has alterior motives

• Creature says:

Rich franklin and forrest would be a waste of time? i couldnt disagree more, i dont understand how ppl seem 2 think rich and forrest just all of a sudden suck or something when its obvious there very good well rounded fighters who would test jones in all areas. cmon do u really think rich and forrest would let jones pass the gaurd so easily? hell no lol. and they would be alot harder 2 take down and have good enough stand up 2 strike with him. i cant believe how many ppl still underate rich and forrest. that said. jon bones jones is still someone everyone needs 2 watch out 4. hes wicked good

• elkymbo says:

• ash-uk-187 says:

personally id quite like to see jones take on the winner of rampage/machida.

Having said that a fight against silva would be awesome!

• Jstew3785 says:

Jon Jones vs Thiago Silva sounds good to me. I know Thiago Silva is injured but hoprfully he’ll get healthy soon and they can set this up around the end of the year.

• MCM says:

I wanna see Jones against Thiago Silva, Forrest, or winner of Rampage/Machida. The kid has earned it. I didn’t see him finishing the Janitor, much less finishing him in such an impressive and dominating fashion. Little Nog still doesn’t have the big name recognition in the UFC and as great as Franklin is, he still seams irrelevant to in the LHW pic. for some reason. Throw him in with one top 5 fighter then give him his title shot.

• Guthookd says:

“Jones vs Anderson Silva….I know Silva is fighting Sonnen. And providing Silva wins, and I’m not saying he will, can you imagine how good that fight would be??? Bloody EPIC!!!!”

Now that’s what I’m talkin’ about Elky!! Different weight classes, but Silva dabbles in the LHW div from time to time. I just wouldn’t want a loss to A. Silva to stop Bones’ momentum toward the LHW crown. Maybe when he gets to that point he and A. Silva can actually fight for the LHW title contendorship.

Either way…..we have a lot more great fights coming from this guy. I personally think he would make Forest look just as bad as A. Silva did, and though I really like Forest, I hope he gets the chance.

• MMABC15 says:

During the Munoz/Okami fight, Rogan mentioned how in the eyes of the judges, that one take down by Munoz could be enough to win the round. After watching that round again I have no ideas at what Mr Cecil Peoples was watching because he obviously didnt watch that fight. I know that it didnt change the outcome by any means, but MMA really does need a set criteria to judge a fight., IMO if a fighter gets a takedown, but only holds him down for 30 seconds or so and the guy on the bottom manages to get back up, I think that the point earned from the takedown should be nullified by the escape.

• Dufresne says:

I’m liking the idea of Jones v Thiago Silva. Good call Jstew.

Thiago would be by far the best striker Jones has faced and he’s already shown that he can hang in there with some of the best currently in the division. A fight between Bones and T. Silva would absolutely show us where Jones is. If he decimates him like he did Matyushenko I say give him an immediate title shot. If it’s a close fight but still a win, give him one more before throwing him in for the belt.

• Jstew3785 says:

Thanks Dufresne. Like you said it would definitely show us exactly where he’s at in the division.
    Watching the Munoz vs Okami fight I was worried that the judges might give Munoz credit for being the “aggressor”, if you could call it that. Okami picked him apart on the feet and stuffed all those takedowns yet still lost according to Cecil Peoples. Ridiculous. If Okami was injury free I’d like to see him step up for Alan Belcher and take on Demian Maia. If not maybe Chris Leben

• Angry Mike says:

Didn’t Big John ref the Okami/Munoz fight? I assume he was there because the fight was sanctioned by the State of California rather than Nevada, but that’s a guess. Is he still sidelined in Nevada? Does Zuffa have some sort of grudge against him? What’s the news/rumors?

And in an effort to stay somewhat on topic, that was one of the better cards I’ve watched in a while regardless of whether it was ppv or free.

Jones may be ready for a title shot, but even Greg Jackson thinks he needs a few more fights. If he can hang with Silva, Evans, or Rampage, then he’s ready. I think he’ll get to title contender, but there’s no reason to jump into it too soon.

• fanoftna33 says:

Jstew while Jones vs Thiago Silva sounds good, i would think it would end the same way as Jones recent fights. First off Silva has been experiencing back injuries for quite some time and I think they need to work him in slowly. Second is Rashad manhandled Silva for most of three rounds and Jones will do the same except Jones has shown the ability to finish fights. While Jones vs Silva does sound good I would rather see Jones face somebody a little more relevant now, like Forrest, or the winner of Bader vs Little Nog.

• MCM says:

I like the Okami v Maia fight alot. Winner gets looser of Marquart v Palhares, then another crack at Silva (assuming he wins his next two)

Who’s next for Gomi? Griffen was pretty high on the LW rankings and he’s already lost to Kenny. Maybe Maynard, or finally Penn if he looses to Edgar again. Is Stiropolous (sp) too little a name? Lots of possibilities opened up for Gomi with that KO.

• boomnutz says:

yea i def. have to agree with either Forrest or wiiner of Bader/Lil Nog. It’d be nice to see him vs someone serious jits (if lil nog wins that is). As for Anderson Silva vs Jon Jones. That fight makes absolutely no sense! it’s a lose lose, either Anderson wins (and there goes you’re wonderkid) or Jones wins and takes away the allure of your P4P great, winner of the longest winstreak, blah blah blah, wait until he’s champ, THEN have the superfight…

• BigDave says:

like i said in the prediction thread after last night he is 3 fights from a title shot. Next fight will be against Griffin or thiago silva then it will be onto a number one contenders match against im guessing machida or rashad, then boom a shot at Rua. it is good that they aren’t rushing this kid and making sure that every fight is a bit harder opponent then the last. Bones is going to be around for a very long time and I for one will be watching him fight everytime he steps into the cage.

• boomnutz says:

angry mike, Big John Stud, and Dana don’t like each other any more, it shouldn’t affect his status as a judge in Nevada…but clearly it does. I don’t what happened but there was def. a falling out. Big John Stud was def. there tho last night, i don’t remember which fight, but i saw him doing one of them

• BigDave says:

Oh and i forgot to say after next weekend we won’t need to worry about anderson silva cause he is gonna get an ass kicking by sonnen and I for one will love every minute of it. Silva needs to have his growing ego put in check, over the last couple of years he has tarnished his reputation to the point that even a dickhead like dana white is pissed off by it.

• fanoftna33 says:

Big Dave, as much as I hate to admit it I really want to see Anderson Silva put on another Maia/Cote/Leitas type fight just to see if Dana has the balls to go through with his words and fire him.

• Creature says:

A bit off topic but does anyone else think that if jones doesnt get forrest or franklin that a fiight between the 2 will prolly happen? both injured right now, both with W in there last fights, both great fighters, i think that would be a war :)

• fanoftna33 says:

I think Forrest vs Franklin would be a great fight, Creature.Who would you pick to win that one?

• twyg says:

Was anyone a little mad that in the post fight interview on versus that bones said he would fight anyone besides Rashad? I could see this turning into a Kos/Fitch situation. If Rashad beats Shogun what is Bones going to do; just not take the title shot? I fucking hate this team mantality in an indivdual sport. Sorry about any spelling errors.

• hindsightufuk says:

on a side this is the second fight running that Tyson Griffin has acted like a little girl after a fight not accepting the decision, not shaking with the opponent, and basically acting like a fucking tool

• Rich S. says:

Yeah, hindsight, but more importantly, it’s the second fight in a row that Tyson has lost BIG..

What happened to him? Granted, he NEVER finished, but he still used to be the third or fourth best in the UFC’s LW division, and a top ten LW..

Can’t say I’m sad.. I’ve never really been much of a fan, and I’m a long time fan of Takanori.. I thought he was going to get decisioned so a first round knockout for Gomi is all I could’ve hoped for..

• Creature says:

Honestly i really dont know who id pick between franklin and forrest, thats just 1 of those fights that wouls be stupid 2 put money on, way 2 close. i think it would come down 2 whos got the better gameplan. But if i had 2 pick someone id go with Rich, via close 29-28 dec or split. hbu?

• fanoftna33 says:

I think I would go with Forrest but also a very exciting and close fight. Man would it be a fun fan friendly fight, funny thing is , we would probably get a stand up war but thoes two have very good grappling between them also.

• Creature says:

Fanoftna33 i agree completely. both have high level striking and grappling, what wouldnt be 2 love about a fight between those 2

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

Jones versus Anderson to headline the next unscheduled UFC PAY PER VIEW-In all honesty-Jones will win-Call it a superfight with Evan Dunham vs George Sotripoulous as the under main event

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

Come on guys- Franklin or Forrest against Jon Jones is at the same level as Hammil and Vlad-He should have a superfight against
    Anderson Silva right now!!-I am a huge Jon Jones fan but I am also a huge Anderson Silva fan and can say that that fight would be epic to say the least-It would bring out the best in both-forcefully-As a betting man I have Anderson winning at this day and time-Only because Jon Jones is a little slow and overly reliant on his reach which Anderson could easily expose

• Creature says:

Not trying 2 start an argument but rich franklin completely picked matt hamil apart, so how is he on the same level as him?? forrest not 2 long ago beat shogun, picked rampage apart, and i believe he was winning the rashad fight before getting ktfo lol. they are both on a whole other lever than hamil or vlad. i mean franklin took hendo 2 a split dec. take away the shields fight 4 a sec and would u honestly think jones would smash hendo like he did hamil or vlad? no way. i cant see that happening

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

Good points Creature-I just don’t see anything dynamic from Forrest and Franklin-and I think that’s what it would take to even hang with Jon Jones at this time

• Creature says:

Im not so sure about that, but, you may be right, guess we will see sometime within the next few months :)