Gerald Harris vs. Alessio Sakara at UFC 118 with Jorge Rivera injured

An upcoming middleweight bout between strikers Jorge Rivera and Alessio Sakara will have to wait for now as a broken arm has sidelined Rivera. Just at fast as Rivera’s injury was made, a new opponent has stepped up for the fight: Gerald Harris.

News of the replacement for the injured Rivera come sfrom a recent report at MMAJunkie.com.

Harris earned some popularity with his vicious slam of David Branch at UFC 116, a slam that made ESPN’s Sportcenter and a new fan in Lebron James. Fans of the sport have compared the slams of Harris to that of Quinton “Rampage” Jackson during Jackson’s run in PRIDE. Since his return to the UFC in 2010, Harris has fought three times and has racked up three wins earning him a “Fight of The Night” and a “Knockout of The Night” bonus. Harris has victories over John Salter, Mario Miranda, and David Branch.

Sakara has been with the promotion since October of 2005 and has gone 6-4 in the promotion with victories over Elvis Sinosic, Thales Leites, and recently James Irvin. The heavy-handed Italian originally started in the UFC at 205 pounds, but has gone 4-1 since making the move down to 185. Sakara was scheduled to face Nate Marquardt at UFC 116, but pulled out after the death of his father.

UFC 118 occurs on August 18 and will emanate from the TD Garden in Boston, Massachusetts.

• MCM says:

That sucks for Rivera. I know he’s been looking forward to finally fighting in front of a home town crowd. This card is a big deal for a lot of Boston area fighters.

Good to see Gerald step in though. Alessio will be the biggest name he’s fought and hopefully he can pull off the win. They’re both bangers and should put on a good show, but I think it could be another KO victory for Harris.

• Dufresne says:

That does suck. I like Rivera. He’s never going to be the champ, but he always shows up and throws huge shots.

I think Sakara’s standup is more refined than Harris’s so I’m picking him for the win here. Unless of course Harris picks him up and throws him on his head like he did to Branch.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Fair trade I reckon. Looking forward to this fight even more now.

• JabCrossHook says:

Gerald Harris has no real stand-up or defense towards strikes. That’s why Benji Radach managed to TKO him. Sakara is a former pro-boxer, so it will probably end in a TKO victory for him. Sorry Gerald but you got no hands no matter what you put on your myspace.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Yeah JabCross if only he had power and wrestling to compensate.

• boomnutz says:

man, i really wish i could afford to see this live, this fight should be pretty entertaining, Harris has got some real powerful GnP, but obviously Sakara has much better standup. I kinda feel like both fighters will benefit from this fight unless it’s really one-sided

• JabCrossHook says:

Sakara has plenty of power, he’s a MW, I’m pretty sure he can put any MW to sleep with a clean landing lead hook, and follow-up shots right after if needed. I don’t know what you’re talking about but you must have never trained boxing or stand-up and can’t properly gauge the striking abilities of a fighter.

• stone says:

I’ve always enjoyed Sakara fights. They very seldom go to decision. Win or Lose the UFC should always keep fighters like him around. When he got finished by Leben and Houston it was awesome! When ever he wins it’s awesome as well… Sometimes you need a good banger in the middle of a “grind fest” card. That’s when guys like Rivera, Sakara, Irvin, Gonzaga, etc. come in effect. There’s a such thing as “losin in spectacular fasion” as long as you win some KOs in the mix!

• MMA-LOGIC says:

I’m talking about Harris!. Harris has superior power and wrestling. You were saying he has no hands and I was saying if only he had power and wrestling to compensate.

And…”I don’t know what you’re talking about but you must have never trained boxing or stand-up and can’t properly gauge the striking abilities of a fighter”

Gee I wish I knew as much as you as far as being able to gauge a fighters stand up skill (WTF?). Get your hand off it. This statement really makes you sound like a wanker.

• JabCrossHook says:

Your name is an oxymoron coupled your comments. I was first talking about how Sakara has a stand-up advantage, and he’s fought a lot better fighters than Gerald. As far as I’m concerned Harris hasn’t fought anyone who’s actually a name in the sport. You’re talking about Harris? I was talking about Sakara, the way you said it it sounded like it was Sakara you were talking about. And if you think Sakara has no power then you must not know much. But you said IF ONLY which basically points to you talking about Sakara. Power doesn’t compensate over stand-up skill unless you’re up against someone who’s shitty in stand-up. Gerald Harris kind of looks like another Bryan Baker whos about to get KTFO. THEN YOU CAN LET EVERYONE KNOW BEFORE THE FIGHT HOW YO MAMA WAS YOUR GREATEST INSPIRATION.

Sakara has fought solid opponents including LHWs, Gerald harris got TKO’d by Benji, enough said. Yeah sure Harris looks good knocking out some guys with no stand-up skill but if goes up against any decent MW striker with a decent TDD, he’ll be done.

• boomnutz says:

Jab and Logic, let me try clear the air here, logic was def. being sarcastic saying that “if only he had power and wrestling to compensate” for his lack of stand up skills…which he obviously does. just a little misunderstanding that’s all, now STOP BITCHING!!! jk but seriously

I’m kind of excited for this fight, i don’t think Harris has faced anyone with Sakara’s stand up before, so i’mlooking to see how he fights under pressure, i think he’ll take it though…using his superior wrestling and power advantage 😉

• 1gotslammed says:

JAB you cant fight and dont know nothing about the hurricane. You are a computer geek looking up info on the Hurricane and all you talk about is RADack !! yeah my brother the Hurricane lost. but his climb to the top is gone be sweet. we need people like you to keep everyone informed on what you dont know. Oh yeah JAB HOOK CROss you can meet me at the next fight in boston. you will see me with a blue GOTSLAMMED Hurricane T- shirt on and im not a mma fighter just the Hurricane BIG bro.