Tito Ortiz vs. Matt Hamill set for UFC 121

Chuck Liddell and Forrest Griffin will have to get in line as a light heavyweight fight between former coach and pupil, Tito Ortiz and Matt Hamill, is currently on the horizon.

The fight is headed to UFC 121 on October 23 from the Honda Center in Anaheim, California.

News of the match-up comes directly from UFC President Dana White, who confirmed the bout via text to MMAFighting.com.

Ortiz was Hamill’s coach during the third season of The Ultimate Fighter. “The Huntington Beach Bad Boy” showed a soft spot in his heart for Hamill during the show and took him under his wing during training sessions.

The fight will mark Ortiz’ first return to action since suffering a split decision defeat at the hands of Forrest Grifin in a November 2009 return to action. Ortiz went on to coach the 11th season of The Ultimate Fighter where a neck inury forced him to the sidelines from the show and an anticipated showdown with longtime rival Chuck Liddell.

Hamill is on a four-fight win streak in the UFC, although a recent disqualification victory obtained over Jon Jones could be viewed as a defeat being that the TUF 3 veteran was pummelled from start to finish. Most recently Hamill handed Keith Jardine his walking papers with a majority decision victory at “The Ultimate Fighter: Team Liddell vs. Team Ortiz Finale”.

Set to headline UFC 121 is a heavyweight title fight between champion Brock Lesnar and Cain Velasquez.

• fanoftna33 says:

Should be anoth good fight, but i think Hamill gets a UD. Hamill is slow with his striking but way stronger than Tito, and Matt doesnt seem to use his wrestling at all so probably a standing fight. Should be pretty action packed until about halfway through the second round when Titi gasses.

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

Tito needs this win to continue getting higher profile matches. Hamill is solid but, don’t see him ever making a run at the title. If Tito loses he will become even less relevant at 205. If that’s possible.

• MCM says:

Wasn’t Tito always saying during TUF that Hamill was the future of the LHW division? I always expected these two to through down eventually, but I thought it would be when Tito was a little more relevant.

I don’t think Hamill has enough to put Tito away. As stated, he’s incredibly slow and I don’t think hes ever fought a quality MMA wrestler before. I can see Tito being able to pull out a Dec win in this one…..if he’s back to %100. 😉

• qat says:

this fight has distance written all over it, cant see one of them stopping the other.
    but nonetheless a fitting matchup. its about time that tito does not get a top10 fighter.

• larsenator says:

Tito by KO knee to the face!

• Dufresne says:

• bigbadjohn says:

Hamill has a blessing in disguise being deaf for this fight. He won’t have to listen to Titos jibber jabber for weeks leading up and or the weeks following 121.

• stone says:

Tito should be able to pull this off… Tito might not be “top 10” but he’s still better than Hammil… Yeah I said it… I can feel the thumbs down comin now! This win won’t make’m any more relevant, unless its a VICIOUS KO… I seriously doubt that though! Tito by split decision!

• Creature says:

God i hope hamill get the W here, i cant stand tito, hes such a crybaby sore loser. dufrense nice post btw that seriously made my day lol. tito needs 2 retire, there are way better wrestlers than him now days, jon jones, rashad, couture, and bader, and tito’s standup is average at best, he had a decent career but lets face it, theres no need 2 ruin it and go out like the iceman

• danw84 says:

Which camp do you think starts first? Training or coming up with his excuse?

• Dr.Stoppage says:

There’s very few interesting fights left for Tito.
    Man,I can’t even type ‘T-i-t-o’ without rolling my eyes.
    Having him fight Hamill is genious, though.

Two guys who will never fight for a UFC title, but the coach vs. student angle is great.
    Please don’t make it a main event.
    Hamill will win a 3 round tear filled decision.
    Then Chuck will storm the Octagon and call out Tito for one last brawl.
    Then Jenna will give Matt a booty call.

• Dr.Stoppage says:

By the way,

Dufresne’s
    “I got Hamill via Tito stoppage due to “you’ve never fought with a broken skull before” or by “I hurt my neck/back/knee/finger/little toe/vagina” in training” = Gold,Jerry…GOLD!!!

• BigDave says:

This will be the fight that will allow everyone to go to the bathroom. Get another drink or make samiches. Hamill has never been relevent in the division and lets face it we all know Tito will come in saying he is 100% then when he loses again by boring decision he will have some excuse as to how he was so injured that he couldn’t train/fight to the top of his ability.

Dana needs to come out and say the loser of this fight is fired, because niether of these dudes needs to ever be in the octagon again.

• Angry Mike says:

So what happened with Tito’s neck injury that forced him out of the fight with Chuck? According to TUF, that condition was serious enough to pose a risk to his health. Did Tito have surgery? Lots of questions about this.

• mu_shin says:

Mike:

No question Tito had surgery: he posted the video of his procedure on line. It was fascinating but brutal, with doctors placing various hardware in his cervical vertebrae through a huge incision/opening in the front of his throat, to stabilize and possibly fuse at least two joints in his neck.

If Tito actually makes it to the ring (I’m an Ortiz fan, for what he did in the ring years ago) he will have all he can handle with Matt Hamill. Matt may be workman-like and even somewhat plodding at times, but he’s strong as a bull, and even getting beaten up by Jon Jones, I don’t remember him stopping coming forward until he was injured. I don’t see Hammill quitting in this bout, and have to wonder if Ortiz can rise from the ashes of all these injuries to surmount what could, and possibly should, be his final challenge in MMA.

Of course, if I’m wrong, and Tito has a dominant performance, then more power to him and his mouth, and I’d look forward to seeing him entertaining more challenging competition.