Quinton “Rampage” Jackson vs. Lyoto Machida set for UFC 123 in November

A highly anticipated bout between former UFC Light Heavyweight champions Quinton “Rampage” Jackson and Lyoto Machida is set to take place on November 20th.

News of the bout was recently confirmed by MMAJunkie.com.

Jackson had tweeted last night about his next match:

Almost ready 2 sign the bout agreement! i would tell yall who im gonna get down with, but i cant spell his name…hahaha

Both Machida and Jackson have verbally agreed to the fight, which could take place at UFC 123 and is expected for November 20, although nothing has been finalized.

Jackson returned after a year lay-off to film the A-Team movie when he faced Rashad Evans in a highly anticipated grudge match at UFC 114. Evans dropped Rampage early in the first round and dictated the pace of the fight by continuously putting Rampage against the cage. Rampage nearly finished the fight with a flurry in the third round, but was unable to capitalize on the situation.

Machida, the former champion is trying to shake off the loss to Mauricio “Shogun” Rua at UFC 113. A fight that saw an overly-zealous Machida dropped by Rua and then pounded out. The former champion had been undefeated with sixteen straight wins before the loss.

The winner is surely expected to find himself in the mix for a title shot against the winner of the upcoming Rua/Evans bout in the spring.

• Makington says:

Pretty gutsy by Lyoto. Coming off not only his first loss, but a brutal knockout one at that to fight one of the hardest hitters at lhw. I see Quinton being strong enough to avoid the ground if Lyoto tries and any subs he might go for but I don’t think Jackson’s variety of strikes is enough to stifle the technique difference. Rampage doesn’t use much other than hooks and uppercuts whereas Lyoto uses every limb in many different ways.

Lyoto was really starting to come out and use his elusive style aggressively and I wonder if he still will. Machida is easily one of my favourite fighters to watch strike with someone even when he isn’t ko’ing them but I admit he used to be a little too tentative. I’m hoping he wasn’t affected mentally too much to the point where he doesn’t engage but we’ll see. I’m stoked for this fight either way.

Kind of wish they set this fight up as the main event for UFC 119 instead of Nog/Mir 2. I’m going to have to wait so much longer for this fight nowwww.

• manny says:

I really like both fighters and hate to see them fight.
    I would have to cheer for Machida. I won’t expect him to rush his style this time. He’s learned not to be over agressive or else. I see him getting back to his old stlye that won him the belt. That was not him on the 2nd shogun fight, def not his style. ( Nothing agains Shogun)
    Since Evans was too much of a pu***, and turned down the fight agains machida for the interm, this bout has to happen ,b/c there isn’t anyone else @ 205. Evans is just delaying to be KO’d agains shogun.

• boomnutz says:

i don’t know if i’d call it gutsy one Lyoto’s behalf, maybe gutsy on Rampage’s…but Rampage just loss to Rashard, who got knocked the F* out by Lyoto, and Machida’s only loss was a title defense to Rua, (who also F*ed up Rampage pretty bad). Stylistically i think its a tough fight for Rampage, he might come up swinging at air, plus he doesn’t utilize leg kicks, which Shogun used effectively against Machida…Plus if you’re the ex champ you don’t fight some pussy. He wants to earn a title shot ASAP. i think it should be a pretty good fight, i’m excited

• stone says:

Rampage can win this fight if he doesn’t chase LM around like everyone else has… Let him bring the fight. I never did like lyotos style! Just a little too much back pedaling for my liking… Rampage needs some serious game planning, I just don’t think the Wolfslair & Page can solve the Lyoto riddle. I’m still pulling for Rampage Jackson but, I wouldn’t bet any money on him!

• MCM says:

Lyoto takes this one easily. I know I’ll get a ton of thumbs down for this one, but I got them when Rashad fought Jackson and I was right then too.
    Rampage used to be damn good fighter, but since he’s come to the UFC, he hasn’t looked at all like he did in Pride. Everyone talks about his KO power but look at who’s he’s KO’d in the UFC.

Marvin Eastman – is 3-7 in his last 10 (that includes Rampage) with the majority of those losses (4) coming via KO.
    Chuck Liddell – Very impressive when Rampage KO’d him but Chuck has gone 1-5 in his past 6 with 4 of those being KO. (Chuck is also the biggest name win on Rampages resume)
    Wanderlei Silva – When he fought Jackson he had gone 1-3 in his last four with 2 of those being to KO.

Not really guys with granite chins. Now look at his other fights, that are much more telling.

Dec win to Keith Jardine. Jardine was actually winning that fight until the last minute of the 3rd round. He is also not known for his chin and Bader was able to put him away in the 3rd but Rampage couldn’t.
    Dec loss to Forrest Griffen. Forrest has 4 of his 6 losses coming via KO. And not only could Rampage not finish him but wound up loosing the title too.
    Dec Hendo. nothing wrong with that.

Lyoto was able to go 5 full rounds with Shogun, something Rampage couldn’t do, and come away with a win. Machida was also able to put down Rashad in embarrassing fashion, again unlike Rampage. The truth is that Rampage is like Big Nog. Still being ranked off what he did before coming to the UFC and not so much what he’s done in it. I don’t see any way Rampage can win this one. Then maybe we can stop talking about him in title contention.

ya’ll know where the red button is. 😉

• bigbadjohn says:

Oh god. after reading Mannys comment I thought for sure I was in the Sherdog forums. Rashads a pussy for skipping a guaranteed title shot? and I bet hes a pussy if he takes it to Machida and outwrestles him instead of playing into Lyotos strength too then?? Give your head a shake Manny, Shogun studied and played Machidas game twice now and won. Lyoto wasnt just over aggressive, he was outclassed. having said that Lyoto will win 30 27 in a UD against Page.

• Makington says:

I don’t think it’s known as the Lyoto riddle anymore stone 😉

But I still don’t think Rampage will solve it the way Shogun did ha.

• Angry Mike says:

Machida seemed intimidated by Shogun in their second fight. His biggest challenge in a fight with Rampage will be keeping his confidence after the dramatic loss. If he can put that behind him, he should win. Rampage has tremendous power, but ever since leaving Juanito he just sits back and looks for the one punch ko. Not the way to win in the UFC, especially not against Machida if Machida’s head is on straight.

• Yourdaddydevilandlord says:

Dear God, bad fight for Rampage. He better work on checking leg kicks and timing his hands to video of Machida. I just see him missing a lot, getting tired, and then getting jacked up. I just can’t see him getting anywhere near Lyoto. Even if he wins, he will be a Rashad fan all of the sudden because there is no way in hell he wants to repeat his evening with Shogun.

• BigDave says:

This is way to easy to predict. Rampage will blow his load in the first three minutes and the Lyoto will pounce. Yes Rampage may be a heavier puncher but there isn’t a snowballs chance in hell he wins this fight. Rampage got beat up by Rashad why Lyoto made look like a amature so this fight will not last long.

Lyoto tko rd 1.

btw Rampage sux ass and is a fake tough guy that needs to run his mouth but will be shut up soon.

• Dr.Stoppage says:

Wait,
    Ain’t Rampage set to star in “Lethal Weapon 5 : The Next Generation” set to start filming in November 2010?

• Lord Faust says:

I’m going to have to chime in with everyone else who is giving Rampage a slim-to-nil chance of winning this one. Sure, he has the capability of KO Machida; that’s about it. Rampage’s style just plays too well into all the traps Lyoto sets for his opponents. Furthermore, as has been stated multiple times, Rampage does not use leg kicks, which was basically the key to beating Machida in the first fight he had with Shogun. (One could argue that, despite the decision going in Lyoto’s favour, the fact that Shogun so decisively shutdown his normal routine was a victory in and of itself. I think that led to Machida’s out of character performance in their second fight, which allowed Shogun to use his normal brand of brutality to end the second fight.)

While the “Machida riddle” may be solved, putting that knowledge into practice is an entirely different issue. And the notion of Rampage fundamentally changing his gameplan, and adopting a different arsenal of strikes is just not something I see happening. Rampage fights the same fight every time; the only variance I’ve seen has been his conditioning.

This will definitely be a good fight, regardless of the outcome. I’ve always enjoyed watching Machida’s fights; it allows me to appreciate the striking game on a much deeper level than most MMA allows. Let’s face it, when it comes to striking MMA is still in the dark ages; watching Lyoto is to observe a true master at work. It’s hard not to respect a style that produces results and keeps the fighter from absorbing any more damage than is necessary. Definitely an acquired taste; but one worth acquiring if you have an interest in the tactical side of fighting.

Can’t wait to see this one go down.