Patrick Cote vs. Tom Lawlor booked for UFC 121

Patrick Cote and Tom Lawlor could very well be fighting for survival in the UFC‘s middleweight division as both men will be coming off of back-to-back losses when they clash at UFC 121 in California.

UFC 121 is set for October 23 from the Honda Center in Anaheim, California.

News of the match-up came in a recent report on MMAJunkie.com, who confirmed through sources close to the event that bout agreements have been signed on both sides.

UFC 121 will be headlined by a heavyweight title bout between champion Brock Lesnar and Cain Velasquez.

Cote is currently reeling from consecutive defeats at the hands of Anderson Silva and Alan Belcher, while Lawlor is in an extremely similar position having suffered losses to Aaron Simpson and Joe Doerkson in his prior two outings.

• MCM says:

I can’t see Lawlor getting cut if he looses this one. He was extremely competitive with A-train in their fight and the guy is a crowd favorite.
    Cote on the other hand, has gone 6-4 in the Octagon and more than one person thought he should never have been allowed in the ring with AS either.
    I think if Lawlor works on his cardio, he should be able to take this to the ground and get the dec. or possibly sub out The Predator.

• Lord Faust says:

I think Cote belongs in there with Anderson Silva again. I won’t go so far as to say Cote would have won their first fight, but Silva showed absolutely nothing. Silva didn’t even inflict the injury that ended the fight. Even though Cote wasn’t doing much to Silva either, I’d like to see a definitive end to that match-up.

• Dufresne says:

I’m hoping neither of these guys get cut.
    Sure they both have back-to-back losses, but Cote’s 1st was due to injury in a title fight and and his 2nd was against a highly competitive Belcher who may be on track for a title shot of his own.
    Lawlor hasn’t exactly looked like a slouch either. His first loss out his back-to-back was a split decision and it was fight of the night, and his second was a submission at the hands of a guy who has 45 MMA wins with 33 being by submission. Losing by submission to a guy with those credentials isn’t exactly embarrassing.

Plus, the MW division needs is kinda dull lately and they could use some names hanging around.

• bigbadjohn says:

Damn Im canadian but I cant help but cheer for FILLLLTTHHHHY TOM LAWLOR

• elkymbo says:

I’ve loved Lawlor ever since he knocked out that little fella in the house on TUF. One of the more classic moments of television I’ve ever seen!!

• Dr.Stoppage says:

bigbadjohn says:

Damn Im canadian but I cant help but cheer for FILLLLTTHHHHY TOM LAWLOR

As a fellow Canucklehead who is fans of both, I will go with LE PREDATOR to balance things out.
    But I always enjoy the FILTHY ONE.
    I predict FOTN.

• boomnutz says:

yea, i think i agree with everyone…i like both these guys, can’t really pick one over the other and i don’t think either will get cut for exactly the reasons given… although they should cut Tom Lawlor just for training with Seth Petruzelli, jk btw Belcher was a tough fight after such a long layoff due to an injury and if he gets back to where he was pre-injury i think he shuold be able to take this, but Lawlor always surprises me…do you think they’ll show this on Spike just to give a good showing???

• redwire says:

I love this match-up, but hate the thought that it could be a ‘loser leaves town’ throwdown.

• Makington says:

Yah hopefully Dana recognizes what overwhelming support both fighters have and keeps them for atleast one more fight. It’ll be a tough one for sure, but I think Cote has the cardio to hang with him and win by tko in round 3 or decision.

Tom is easily the funniest fighter in a while but having punched himself out early in round 1 twice in a row now doesn’t look good. Petruzelli did the same thing in his fight so it could be the camp if they don’t having proper conditioning coaches or equipment.

This is a good fight still though.

• Lord Faust says:

Makington: could be a case of overtraining, also. Either way, that’s an interesting point.

I’ll cheer for Cote in this fight by default, since I too am Canadian (boy there’s a lot of us on this site). That said, this should be a good fight. I hope Patrick looks more comfortable in this fight than he did in his last one; I imagine the knee injury and extended layoff played a big part in his performance.