Diego Sanchez vs. Paulo Thiago headed to UFC 121

A welterweight showdown between Diego Sanchez and Paulo Thiago is expected to take place at UFC 121.

UFC 121 is slated for October 23 from the Honda Center in Anaheim, California. Headlining the event will be a heavyweight title fight between Brock Lesnar and Shane Carwin.

News of the bout between Sanchez and Thiago was first reported by PennyJoMMA.com.

Both men are looking to rebound from recent defeats, as Sanchez is coming off of consecutive defeats at the hands of B.J. Penn at lightweight and John Hathaway in his return to welterweight, and Thiago most recently suffered a setback in the form of a unanimous decision loss to Martin Kampmann at UFC 115.

• MCM says:

HW title fight between Brock Lesnar and Shane Carwin!? I’m taking Brock by arm triangle in the 2nd!

• MCM says:

How does Diego “Yes” Sanchez go on a two fight loss streak and get a top 10 WW like Paulo? I guess they’re trying to keep him relevant and in the title picture, but I think Thiago is way to slick on the ground for Diego and this could mark his 3rd loss in a row.

• Rich S. says:

Another bad fight for Diego.

And there will be plenty more to come until he changes his fighting style and/or moves back to Lightweight..

Then again, I won’t count him out after seeing Paulo’s wrestling defense in the Kampmann fight..

• Creature says:

“Diego “yes” sanchez” hahaha that made me laugh :) i personally dont like either fighter, i think thiago is a bit overrated, and sanchez needs 2 change up his style a bit, hes predicable, but imma go with “yes” sanchez via dec.

• moosebaby02 says:

go Paulo

• elkymbo says:

Brock Lesnar vs Shane Carwin again? What the fuck is that?

• Dr.Stoppage says:

Give Brady a break.
    All the REAL Carwin fans still haven’t accepted his loss to Lesnar.
    That shows the true spirit of FANBOYISM.

I was predicting Sanchez vs. Shields, to, as MCM put it clearly, keep him relevant.
    Win or lose, as long as he put up a good fight, they’d keep him around.

In this fight, Thiago by nasty SUB in RND 2.

But win or lose, I’m a true believer of the ” YES ” Cartwheel, for Diego’s sake.
    Uh oh… maybe that shows the true spirit of FANBOYISM as well.
    God Bless the “YES”.
    I’d hate to see the UFC drop him, because I think he’s one of the better characters around, and he always puts on a show.

• stone says:

This should be good… I’m predicting Paulo by KO… He’s gonna time out that predictable 1-2 combo and end it with a boxing combo of his own. Diego could actually be relevant in LW… WW div. is just to ill for the Yes man…

• Paulo says:

Paulo via virtue of sharing the same name as me!

• boomnutz says:

i think Diego’s a lot tougher than people are giving him credit for, he was arguably the # 4 or 5 welterweight when he moved down, i think part of the reason Hathaway took it to him was instead of putting muscle weight on, he looked pudgy, we’ll see though. I almost feel bad for him, he sucks too much weight for LW and isn’t big enough for welterweight, I’m giving this fight to Paulo via split, Sanchez’ jits are good enough i think to stay away from a sub, dude takes a BEATING, no one knocks him out, including Paulo Thiago…look at the beating BJ delivered and even then it was the cut that ended the fight

• Guthookd says:

I’ve said it before…I think Paulo Thiago could one day be a champ. A little wrestling and some more high level fights will only serve to extend his success.

I pick PT via KO, but I wouldn’t be surprise to see YesMan go back to his wrestling base and grind out a decision. Standing, I think PT will have the advantage.

• bigbadjohn says:

Paulo ‘Joe Smith of Brazil’ Thiago’s got this.