John Hathaway to put undefeated record on the line against Mike Pyle at UFC 120

With Dong Hyun Kim forced to the sidelines with an undisclosed injury, Mike Pyle will step up to the plate in an attempt to hand the undefeated John Hathaway his first professional defeat in a welterweight showdown between decorated veteran and fast-rising prospect at UFC 120.

News of the bout came in a recent report from The Daily Telegraph.

UFC 120 is expected for October 16 from the O2 Arena in London, England.

Hathaway boasts a professional record of 14-0 with four consecutive victories in the UFC. The 22-year-old Brit picked up the biggest win of his career in his prior outing where he bested Diego Sanchez via unanimous decision at UFC 114.

Pyle is one of the most dangerous submission artists in the sport, with a career record of 20-7 and 17 submission victories to his credit. He is currently 2-2 since his arrival in the UFC, with his latest trip to the Octagon being a arm-triangle technical submission over Jesse Lennox at UFC 115.

• stone says:

Pyle huh? Sounds like a step down… I really wanted to see him fight a better fighter than that… Matter of fact! Jake Sheilds would’ve been good! Good intro fight for Shields and a big win for Hathaway… If Hathaway did lose it would be shameless loss… But after that ass whoopin he put on Diego I thought he’d be fightin on the “top shelf”… Bet if he would’ve finished Diego, he’d be fighting somebody with some more stock!

• boomnutz says:

I’m glad they’re taking it easy with Hathaway, he’s young and could be a serious threat if developed properly, in fact i’ll go out on a limb and predict he’ll be the first British champ, and i don’t see him losing this fight either.

For curiousity sake, who does everyone think will be the next Welterweight champ??? The welterweight articles seem to bring about a lot of convo from the readers

• sides666 says:

Its hard to say who the next ww champ will be i cant really see anyone on the roster right now capable of beating the king i think someone has to vastly improve thats on the roster or it will be a new signing that does it but i dont think it will be for a while hathway is looking pretty good but he is quite young its hard to say where hes gonna end up

• boomnutz says:

i def. agree, i mean when i asked the question in my head i was thinking, that no one will beat GSP but he might not stay at 170 for more than 2 or 3 fights. Say he beats Kos, then probably the winner of Alves/Fitch or the winner of Alves/Fitch faces say Shields if he wins and the winner of that faces him…but i mean there’s honeslty no one left to beat except Shields if he doesn’t lose…A little welterwieght tournament would be cool

• fanoftna33 says:

Shields will give GSP a real run for his money soon.

• Jstew3785 says:

I have a weird feeling that Koscheck will beat GSP. I’m sure I’ll probably get a lot of flack for that, and probably well deseved… I believe that GSP is superior to Koscheck in every facet of the game, but I can’t shake this gut feeling that Kos will pull it off somehow. It doesn’t even make sense to me…

• Jstew3785 says:

Oh and to the topic at hand, I don’t think Pyle is a step down at all. Pyle gave Fitch a run for his money. I think Hathaway wins this but I wouldn’t be surprised to see Pyle pull of a UD. Especially with his wrestling

• MCM says:

I don’t think you can count the Pyle/Fitch fight as relevant. It was 8 yrs ago and it was Pyle’s 2nd pro fight and Fitches 1st. Pyle is definitely a step down, but who else was available with Stun Gun injured? Paulo Thiago, that’s who. Hathaway should be fighting someone that’s better than 2-2 in the UFC. What’s Jake Ellenberger doing?

• Jstew3785 says:

Dude MCM you’re absolutely right. I had him confused with Mike Pierce. Hathaway is going to school this guy.

• Jstew3785 says:

And I think this is a big step down in competition. He just schooled Diego and now gets Pyle? Odd

• boomnutz says:

Jstew i think it’s mad funny that you said that, as soon as i saw it i knew you meant Pierce…i don’t why but I ALWAYS make the same mistake with these 2 dudes… i actually had to double check sherdog before i commented the other day, just to make sure Pyle wasn’t the guy who fought Fitch

• Jstew3785 says:

That’s funny man. I don’t know why I mistake the 2 either. I was going to double check Sherdog but I just KNEW what I was talking about right??