Jake Shields signs with UFC, heads back to welterweight

In a move that should come as a surprise to few, the UFC has officially inked Jake Shields to a contract and ended months of speculation in the process.

Shields brings a 25-4-1 record and fourteen-fight win streak with him into the organization, as well as victories over a number of respected opponents including Carlos Condit, Yushin Okami, Jason “Mayhem” Miller, Paul Daley, Robbie Lawler, and most recently Dan Henderson.

The news of Shields siging with the UFC comes from GracieFighter, who also reported that the Cesar Gracie-student will apparently face one of “the UFC’s top contenders” at welterweight in his promotional debut.

Shields has been out of action since defending the Strikeforce middleweight title against Henderson last April. While no actual date has been announced for his UFC debut, it appears likely the match-up will occur sooner than later.

• Guthookd says:

I hope they set him up with Nate Diaz. Isn’t Nate trying his hand in the WW div? If so, that would be great. All kinds of bad blood there.

HA!

Wonder if they will give him a tune up fight or is it straight to the top competition?

• stone says:

Give him someone good not great… The winner of Serra n Lytle, or Paulo Thiago… Let’s see if he can cut it in the UFC…

• MCM says:

Paulo Thiago it is……I hope. Paulo is one of the top WW’s and would be a very tough match up for Sheilds. I wouldn’t mind seeing how he stacks up to Hughes to be honest.
    I predict he’ll be a perennial contender in the division and they’ll give him a title shot when no one else is available, ala Kos. I don’t seeing him being the cream of the crop in the UFC’s WW division.

• Jstew3785 says:

Martin Kampmann sounds like a good fight to me. Or if they want to give him an easier fight someone like Jake Ellenberger

• Angry Mike says:

I like Kampmann for the first fight. Good call, Jstew.

• Jstew3785 says:

I wonder if he’ll take the Strikeforce belt with him, like Fedor had the WAMMA belt…. They mean about the same

• Milliniar says:

@ Guthookd.
    What bad blood between shields and diaz? they are both part of “the scrap pack” at cesaer gracie.

as for his first ufc fight, if alves wins i say shields vs alves for title shot.

• Dufresne says:

We all knew this was coming, but it still amazes me that SF fired their reigning champ.

For a matchup I like Kampmann, or depending on how fast they want to throw him in the winner/loser of Maia/Belcher.

• boomnutz says:

seriously Guthookd, was that a joke? Sherdog reported he’s getting top competition and it will be announced shortly…

I’m calling it right now, it hasn’t been announced yet because he’s going to get the winner of Alves/Fitch in a title eliminator! And if i’m correct i don’t care who he faces it should be a sick match!!! wrestling vs american jui jitsu or striker vs grappler!!! i hope i’m right

• manny says:

i dont believe the ufc will throw him with the top contenders as they would do to any other fighter.They will set up a decent opponent and build him up as the next opponent to face GSP.
    Who else is there for GSP to face? Otherwise they will run out of opponents the WW div will not be exciting.

• Makington says:

I think he deserves to be fighting the top contenders. I personally like the idea of him fighting the winner of Fitch and Alves for a title shot. I mean, I know it wasn’t in the UFC but he still convincingly beat Henderson who was promoted as the next true MW contender after almost murdering Bisping. People weren’t giving him a chance to win it but he proved everyone wrong, so it’s not like Dana could tell him he’s not ready for top competition yet. It just feels like such s step backwards for him if he fought an up-and-comer like Ellenberger or Hathaway.

Wouldn’t mind seeing him fight Kampmann though.

• Guthookd says:

“@ Guthookd.

as for his first ufc fight, if alves wins i say shields vs alves for title shot”

Oah shit. I was thinking about KJ not Jake. My bad. You’d think I’d remember the gang fight after the Hendo debaucle.

I was wondering about all the thumbs downs…LOL.

I would love to see him fight Paulo Thiago too. IMO Paulo is an awesome fighter with very well rounded skills. I think he will be around for a long time, and honestly, I don’t think there is any way Jake could take him.

• boomnutz says:

alright, i’m taking bets, i got winner of Alves/Fitch, who you got? Seriously though, dude just beat up Hendo which was a huge upset, HUGE not to mention his natural weight class is welterweight, GSP has already come out and said Shields is the lone challenger. These two have been on a collision course for a while now, i got 50 on it, 4 real, once GSP takes him out, the 170 pound division is a wrap and he moves on to 185 in time to catch da Spider!!!

who’s with me?!?!

On a side note i just interviewed for a position that would seriously change life for the better, i need all fingers crossed i can get…

• boomnutz says:

did you guys notice hathaway is fighting the stun gun….in a weird way they look alike, anyway i’m picking but hathaway and in a good ol fashion ass whoopin, he just handled Diego and if you ask me, Diego could take the stun gun…he could honestly be built up as a legitimate threat to GSP, he’s big, got good rassling and has a mean straight left

• Niv says:

Too bad the timing of this signing is off a bit. This would have been a great match for GSP and one that is intriguing at that.

I think Shields is a far more credible opponent for GSP than Kos is and it would have been a good show if Shields was coaching tuf instead of Kos.

Anyhow I think he should be thrown right into a top contender fight and give him the next shot if he wins that fight. Either way the WW division is much stronger with Shields in it now.

• Creature says:

Im gonna say they will give him kampmann or the winner of hughes/almeida and i personally think hughes would win, same with kampmann, shields is good dont get me wrong, but i think hughes, kos, and fitches ground is better than shields, and they ALL have better standup even hughes, shields wont last long… but i could be wrong, i didnt think hed make it outta the 1st with hendo, let alone manhandle my #1 fighter like that lol

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Sheilds for the next UFC WW champion. I think he is good enough.

P.S. Wiki has it as Kampman.

• simbo klice says:

Since UFC 120 is in London and Dana White wants him too fight sooner than later, I think a match against Dan Hardy would be a great Co-Main Event.

• Makington says:

Right now Hardy is set to fight Condit. That’s a way more exciting fight imo anyways. If Hardy fought Shields it would look a lot like his title shot. Atleast there’s a chance his and Fitch’s wrestling could cancel out or that Thiago could stuff his takedowns which is why I like that fight.

• MCM says:

no one thinks Swick is still top competition? Sure he’s on a two fight skid, but he’s still got a good name and is a tough fight for Sheilds. If Jake can’t get passed Swick, there’s no way he deserves a title shot.

• Dr.Stoppage says:

I bet they set him up with Diego Sanchez.
    He’s a good, scrappy, tough dude, and a good test to see where Shields is within the UFC.
    Shields should win, but how he wins will say alot, if he does get the victory.
    Sanchez is not as good as he thinks he is, but he is always up for a good fight.
    Plus, I think this will be a good time for the “Yes Cartwheel” to prove it’s power, once and for all.
    I bet Sanchez would love this fight.

I would’ve picked Clay Guida, but he’s in a different weight class.

I guess the question is,”Who’s the welterweight gatekeeper these days?”

• Dufresne says:

”Who’s the welterweight gatekeeper these days?”

Anyone not named GSP, Fitch, Kos, Alves, or Thiago.

• Creature says:

Id have 2 give the main WW gatekeeper role 2 matt hughes

• Jstew3785 says:

Here’s a matchup I’m sure no one has thought of… Rumble Johnson. Why not? Rumble is an extremely dangerous guy on the feet so you never know. While I’m sure jake would win with his grappling, he showed in his last fight with hendo that he is vulnerable standing up. If they’re not going to give him someone top 10, I’d like to see this matchup. Call me crazy

• MCM says:

Diego is way too small, plus he’s coming off of 2 losses and Shields in on a hot streak. Same reason he won’t get Rumble….or Swick, I guess.

Kampman or Thiago are good first fights. Then depending on the timing, winner of Alves/Fitch for the #1 contender spot. If Lytle can get passed Serra, that’s a possibility too.

• Dufresne says:

Hadn’t even thought about Lytle v Shields.

I take back my suggestion of Kampmann, I want Lytle.

Just looked at my original post, and for the life of me I can’t figure out why I suggested both Kampmann (WW) or the winner of Maia/Belcher (MW).
    I know Shields fights at both, but the article clearly says welterweight in the title.

Some days my brain just don’t work good.

• boomnutz says:

I respect all of these opinions, but if you’re Dana don’t you want to get this guy 1 fight maybe 2 (at most) and get him in there for a title shot. Just think about it, everyone agree that kos, Fitch and Alves are head and shoulders above the rest, but can you really have GSP just keep beating these guys??? i guess i could see Kampmann especially with the way he just beat Thiago, it was impressive enough to put him 1 or 2 wins away from a potential title shot depending on how impressive he remains and who else impresses…but i’m still sticking with winner of Alves/Fitch

• Jstew3785 says:

The way I’m thinking is if they don’t give him someone top 10 right away like Kampmann or Paulo Thiago, then at least make it interesting. I like the idea of Lytle and that’s why I said Rumble Johnson also. I’d rather see him in there with Kampmann or Thiago, and I don’t think they’ll want to wait for Jake to debut against Fitch or Alves.