Thiago Alves: I’ll beat Jon Fitch up and knock him out

Thiago “The Pitbull” Alves will be looking to avenge a prior defeat that has haunted him for more than four years as the American Top Team trained knockout artist clashes with relentless ground and pound technician Jon Fitch at UFC 117.

The pair of welterweights are set to face off in a highly anticipated rematch on August 7 from the Oracle Arena in Oakland, California.

Retuning to the Octagon for the first time since having corrective surgery to repair an arteriovenous malformation in the brain following a title defeat suffered at the hands of Georges St Pierre at UFC 100, Alves is candid about his level of confidence heading into this extremely pivotal bout with Fitch.

“I can’t wait for it to happen, man… This fight needed to happen, but I’ll get him this time, I’ll beat this guy up, I’ll knock him out,” said Alves in a recent conversation with Tatame.com.

The 26-year-old Brazilian promises to display a brand new and improved version of himself come UFC 117.

“I believe we both improved a lot, but I’m much better than him now,” said Alves. “When I fought him, I wasn’t on my best shape, but there’re no apologies, he won. I’m much more complete when it comes to that last fight, I can’t wait to show people who the new Pitbull is.”

And if things go his way against Fitch in California, Alves would be lying if he said he wasn’t interested in avenging that UFC 100 defeat suffered to the current UFC Welterweight Champion.

“I fixed what I had to fix,” said Alves in regards to how he has evolved since his prior meeting with GSP. “There’re no apologies, [St Pierre] was better than me on that night, but nowadays things would be different. But, first I have to beat Jon Fitch.”

• bigbadjohn says:

We’d all like to see it so. good luck with that.

• JOEgun says:

well Alves has had plenty of time to improve since their last fight. I hope theres not too much ring rust. Fitch is a hard fighter to finish but, im picking Alves

• Angry Mike says:

Fitch’s only loss in about eight years was to GSP, and he went the distance. He beat Alves by tko, and I don’t see any reason why it won’t happen again. Fitch wins, probably by decision.

• MickeyC says:

I agree 100%. The pit bull has skills but Fitch is relentless, and aweful hard to finish. Unless Avles shows up with a flash knock out early( I dout) this will probably go the distance. With Fitch winning.

• MCM says:

Damn right Mike. Fitch hasn’t been finished since 2002, and only once in his entire career. Fitch may have gotten more “boring” since their last fight but he dominates everyone not holding a belt now. Expect this to look a lot like Alves title fight with him on his back most of the fight getting beat up.

My Wishfull Thinking = Pitbull via tko

Realistic Outcome = Fitch via decision

• JOEgun says:

wow. no one is really giving Alves much of a chance. I think Alves will avenge his loss to Fitch. Im calling the upset right now. Alves is NOT gonna lose twice to this guy. Alves by TKO! And afterwards he’s gonna get on the mic and say IM BACK!! lol. jus watch 😉

• Dufresne says:

Alves has showed pretty good takedown defense in the past, he managed to stuff Kos all 5 times when they fought which isn’t the easiest thing to do. And if I remember right he wasn’t doing too badly against Fitch in their first bout until he got kicked in the head while Fitch was on his back. So it’s not like Alves has no chance here, I think he definitely has the advantage on his feet and if he’s even kept his takedown defense steady he should be able to stop at least a few of times and hopefully he can turn this into a standup fight.

Alves’s surgery was pretty recent (end of March), so I’m guessing it went very well if he’s already had time to get in a full training camp. Hopefully he’s back up to at least where he was pre-surgery, and I’d be even happier if he has evolved his game even further as he says.

I like Fitch, he seems like a really nice guy, but his style is just so boring. I mean he hasn’t finished a fight in over three freaking years. The last fight he was in that was exciting at all was his loss to GSP, and that was more due to the fact that GSP kept it standing and was beating the hell of Fitch than because it was a war. Props to Fitch for staying in there though, he was getting blasted.

Sadly I don’t see Alves being able to stop the takedown for too long, and then I think it’s just gonna be Fitch grinding out a decision.

• drstu says:

Alves is going to come in 2 pounds overweight, grind out a late 2nd round win and demand another shot at GSP.

• boomnutz says:

drstu, that’s hilarious and you may even be right, but i think Fitch is relentless and will hardly give him a chance to knock him out, maybe i’m wrong, but i think Fitch is so similar to GSP, except that GSP is a better athlete and has much better standup, so i can’t help but seeing Fitch grind out a decision…Sucks too, because i want to see Ftich work his standup, but he’s got such a cerebral approach i don’t think he’ll attempt it with the pitbull

• MCM says:

“And if I remember right he wasn’t doing too badly against Fitch in their first bout until he got kicked in the head while Fitch was on his back.”

I just watched the fight again to see how well Alves did, and except for the first 30 seconds, he spent the entire fight getting put on his back and taking punches and elbows to the face. The only reason Fitch was on his back was cause Alves finally backed out of a mounted position where Fitch was trying an armbar.

I haven’t seen anything from Alves to indicate that he is any better of a fighter now than he was then. Whereas Fitch has only gotten more dominating and smothering.

Fitch be dec or Tko rnd 2

• Rich S. says:

It’s about time someone else in this division stepped up and beat Fitch and I really think it will be Alves…

Fitch is always the guy to pick, so long as he’s not facing GSP, but Alves is bigger, stronger, faster, and more experienced now..

A few well placed knees ought to do the trick..

• cocoonofhorror says:

• CrispyTaylor says:

I might be foolish to think that Alves has a chance here, but I can’t shake the feeling that he can pull this off. It’s not impossible to keep the fight with Fitch standing, as GSP showed, and Alves was able to that already against Koscheck. Another thing is that Alves seems like a really big welterweight compared to Jon Fitch. I know Fitch used to fight at middleweight, but he and Koscheck both looked small next to Thiago. So while Alves will never be able to touch Fitch from a technical grappling perspective, if he has worked on his takedown defence a bit, sheer muscle might help him keep a distance and do some damage.

• manny says:

Fitch will get KTFO… He will stop Fitch’s takedown attempts and keep it standing. Alves muay tai should set up the KO
    Pitbull is back..

• Dufresne says:

“Fitch is going to ruin this clown dick, if Alves doesnt find some pussy excuse to pull out again.”

Clown dick? Gotta say I’ve never heard that one before, lol.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

I think Alves wins. I agree with Rich.

• LMAO to those that think fitch has a chance. Alex got beat by GSP but Fitch got beat up good by GSP. Fitch is still the same fighter that he has always been and Alves has improved in every aspect of the game. Alves is stonger and more tacticly agressive than Fitch and here is proof. . .

John Fitch 22 – 3 – 0 (Win – Loss – Draw) ( 1 NC )
    Wins 4 (T)KOs ( 18.18 %) ************* Only 4 out of 22 wins by knockout
    5 Submissions ( 22.73 %)
    12 Decisions ( 54.55 %) ******* his last 7 fights have gone the distance…on the ground mostly
    1 Other ( 4.55 %)
    Losses 1 (T)KOs ( 33.33 %)
    1 Submissions ( 33.33 %) That is way to low for how often he goes to the ground
    1 Decisions ( 33.33 %)

Thiago Alves 16 – 6 – 0 (Win – Loss – Draw)
    Wins 10 (T)KOs ( 62.5 %) BLAM. 7 in his last 11 fights all in the UFC by (T)KO
    1 Submissions ( 6.25 %)
    5 Decisions ( 31.25 %) Only 3 in the UFC against GSP, Koscheck and John Alessio 2006
    Losses 1 (T)KOs ( 16.67 %)
    3 Submissions ( 50 %)
    2 Decisions ( 33.33 %)

I just watched the fight again http://www.lowkick.com/UFC/UFC-Fight-Night-5-Jon-Fitch-vs-Thiago-Alves . . . . ..Alves knocked fitch down right off the start well. . watch it you see. Fitch hasn’t changed his style at all.

I give the next fight to Alves for sure. Alot has changed. He is a much more aware fighter.

• MCM says:

FightFan313-

nice spin….my turn.

-Alves did knock down Fitch at the start….then spent the entire fight getting his face smashed in before getting KO’d..watch it you’ll see.
    -He also got finished by Spencer Fisher (of course, that was in his last 12 fights). For all those saying how much bigger he is than Fitch, he can still get stopped by a LW.
    – 7 KO’s in the UFC. Lytle was a Doctor Stoppage, he was grossly over weight for Hughes and the rest of them (every other one) aren’t even good enough to be still in the UFC.
    – He also took Kos (similar to Fitch and only had a few weeks notice) to Dec. so how is he supposed to do better against a bigger, stronger version with a full training camp.
    – He’s been out of the cage for over a year….wasn’t there just an article on here about Ring Rust.

LMAO that quoting Sherdog stats are “proof” that Alves is a better fighter.

I don’t know how this fight will eventually go down, but I’ve got to believe the smart money is on Fitch by Dec.

• Dufresne says:

MCM, I stand corrected. The fight did not occur as I had somehow construed it in my head.

I just rewatched the fight, thanks for the link FightFan.

The knockdown in the very beginning of the fight wasn’t due to a shot that rocked Fitch. He got knocked down because Alves kicked him in the hip area while Fitch was in an unusual stance, which knocked him over. Alves did okay for the first minute or so with that hip kick and then by trying a few submissions, but the other 3:30 of the first round went to Fitch. Several of those submission attempts looked like they could have been fight enders if Alves had just cinched them in or had extended. It’s not like Fitch used any real technique to get out of them, it looked more like Alves just didn’t know how to finish a submission.

2nd Round was no where near as close as the 1st Round. Fitch got a a takedown in under 30 seconds. Alves stood up, but Fitch hammered him in the clinch and got the takedown again shortly over. The most impressive things Alves managed in the second round was avoiding the numerous RNCs from Fitch and backing out from under there towards the end.

I think this fight will be closer than their first one, but I’m still gonna have to give it to Fitch via decision or GnP. Fitch’s submissions have gotten better, his wrestling control has gotten better, and I haven’t seen any weakening of the man’s chin yet, so I think he has what it takes to go home with a victory here.

P.S. Maybe Fitch should think about getting rid of his wolf-man beard. His GnP looked much meaner when he was clean shaven. Knees to the body, short elbows where ever he could fit them, just all around nastier looking ground work.

• randallhump says:

i just hope both fighters bring it cuz its not if u win or lose its how you fight

• elkymbo says:

I just really want to see Fitch get caught with a knee as he goes for a shot and knocked out. He is the single most boring fighter in mma.

• JabCrossHook says:

Alves is def. not bigger than Fitch.He’s 5’9 while Fitch is 6’1. If Fitch actually improved his striking then he should have no problem keeping alves out of range and timing the TD. He’ll probably win by decision if he doesn’t get caught.

• stone says:

Thiago beat Koscheck fair and square, I think Koscheck is better than Fitch. So therefor Thiago should beat Fitch… I know Thiago lost to Fitch a few years back but, all the more reason he’s gonna win this time… Kind of hard to go 2 for 2 against Thiago! Remember Fisher beat Thiago back then? Doubt that would happen again! I got the The Pitbull, via ref stoppage, 2nd rd…

• moosebaby02 says:

Alves wins this one cause he needs to for his own personal reasons. trust me Alves wins this one

• Dufresne says:

This has nothing to do with the upcoming fight, but I was watching “Knockout Sportsworld” on Spike and they showed the Alves v Cox fight.

Just skip ahead to 3:00 for the beginning of the fight and then hang around till about 3:17 for the end of the fight. Nasty.

• Creature says:

I am going with fitch all the way, yeah alot of ppl find him boring but i enjoy watching him manhandle fighters, The guy is a machine, has a Hendo type jaw, forrest type heart, and cardio like franklin, his stand up isnt great but its decent, and his ground is amazing, i honestly only give 3 ppl at having a chance at beating GSP, koscheck and fitch, they have the wrestling 2 stop the takedowns, and have decent enough standup and cardio, and maybe A. silva if they were 2 ever fight.

With that being said im going with fitch via dec