Silva on Sonnen: There are idiotic things coming out of his mouth (VIDEO)

UFC Middleweight Champion Anderson “The Spider” Silva will be looking to defend his 185 lb crown for the seventh consecutive time when he faces off with outspoken takedown specialist Chael Sonnen at UFC 117.

The pair are set to face off on August 7 from the Oracle Arena in Oakland, California.

Check out the champion discussing the impending showdown in the video below:

• Dufresne says:

I’m thinking Chael has made a mistake. Every time Silva has something he feels he needs to prove, or feels like he’s been disrespected, he comes out and absolutely destroys people.

Look at all of his boring fights. Cote, Leites, and Maia. Before each of those fights the other fighter was respectful and at the same time Silva had nothing to really prove by tearing them apart.

Cote is a pretty solid fighter, but he was beaten by both Leben and Lutter. Two fighters Silva had already destroyed. What’s to prove there?

Leites is a great submission fighter, but Silva had already beaten other great ground fighters in Lutter, Marquardt, and Henderson. Hell, Silva tapped out two of the ground fighters on that list in the first 2 rounds. He knew he wasn’t gonna have to deal with his striking, and even if he thought Leites would try to stand at all he knew he had the edge. Nothing to prove here either.

Maia is probably in the top 3 BJJ practitioners in MMA, and probably in the top 5 outside of MMA. The dude is an absolute phenom IF he can get you to the canvas. The problem is that coming into this fight he had been one-shot KO’d in less than 30 seconds by Marquardt, a guy Silva had already KO’d before the first round ended. He knew Maia wasn’t going to get him to the ground either. Maia so far has gotten the vast majority of his takedowns by jumping guard or going for a single leg. Jumping guard means you have to get into clinch range, ask Franklin about Silva’s clinch, and we saw him step out of every one of Leites and Henderson’s single legs. It was decided before it happened, no proving anything.

Now look at the fights where he has crushed people. Just to save time I’m gonna stay in the UFC here. He took out Leben, Franklin x2, Lutter, Henderson, Irvin, and Forrest.

With Leben he was making his debut in the UFC, time to make a splash. Plus Leben talks a bit of trash. Put those together and you get 49 seconds of 85% accurate ass whooping.

Franklin part 1: He wanted the belt. Plain and simple. Franklin made the mistake of thinking he was better in the clinch, and got eaten for it.
    Franklin part 2: No real disrespect or anything major to prove here, but Silva has said a few times that Franklin was his best opponent in the UFC. Similar size, powerful striking, and can take some abuse. Best thing to do there is to keep your title and finish it off quickly.

Lutter: “Silva hasn’t fought anyone with ground skills like Lutter in the UFC. The cage will make it easy for Lutter to get him to the ground and tap him out.” I’m sure a BJJ black belt with Silva’s competitive personality and ego loves to hear he has no chance on the ground against a guy with equal ground credentials. Throw in that Lutter didn’t even make weight in Silva’s first title defense and I can see why he might just want to slap on a triangle and elbow you in the face until you tap.

Marquardt: Silva’s first real title defense thanks to fatty Lutter coming in over. Also, in my opinion, Marquardt is the most rounded fighter that Silva has faced in the UFC to date. He may not have the power of Henderson or technicality of Franklin while standing, but he’s got plenty of both on top of a legit black belt in BJJ and world class pancreas ground game. First title defense and pretty decent bragging rights here wherever he gets the win.

Henderson: “I’ve got one belt, but I think I’d like having another.” Unification bout with one of the highest regarded MMA fighters ever AND the only guy to hold 2 belts in PRIDE at the same time? Screams proving grounds to me. Take him out and you not only unify a belt, you lock your place in among the greats.

James Irvin: Wiped out your division in 25 months since your debut? Want another challenge? How about going up a weight class and getting in the Octagon with a known KO artist? Sounds like a chance to pick up a W and further solidify what kind of monster you’ve developed into. Especially if you can do it via KO in 61 seconds with 11 punches and 100% accuracy.

Forrest: After boring everyone with Cote and Leites folks started complaining and insulting Silva in general. Hell, Dana was even getting in his ear saying that he was embarrassed. Forrest never said or did anything disrespectful going into the fight that I saw or heard, but when the public and your boss start complaining about you losing your aggression and drive it’s time to step up. Add in the “original ultimate fighter” and former LHW champ and what do you get? Three knockdowns, one dislocated jaw and 3:23 worth of making a statement.

Wow… What’s left to say? 😉

Anderson via M.D.K.

• bigbadjohn says:

Dufresne brings a valid argument; I too expect Anderson will fight more aggressively than he has in his more recent fights but I am not counting Chael out as much as most people. I’ve seen enough of GSP, Matt Hughes, Jake Shields, (etc., etc.), and Chael fighting to realize how effective take-downs are in MMA – they can never be counted out. And I haven’t seen enough great take-down artists in the octagon with Anderson. Everyone knows how great of a wrestler Hendo was (especially in Pride), and how he’s the only man to steal a round from the Spider, however we also did all see him get overwhelmed by Jake Shields’ wrestling, coincidentally one of Chael’s friends. Wrestlers are becoming more effective in MMA by developing quicker transitions to ‘the shot’ and Anderson has (IMO, and of course it is because this is a commentary, it sort of goes without saying) never faced anyone like Sonnen.

From an outsider looking in, I can understand how people can scoff at anyone doubting Mr. Silva but the fact that Chael has never been knocked out or even TKO’d adds to my argument that maybe he won’t just roll over in the first round.

And as far as the trash-talking goes, I love it. Chael’s obviously well-spoken and full of wit, besides its fun to see a little animosity in an Anderson tilt because the Spider is usually quite a recluse.

• MCM says:

Technically Chael has been TKO’d twice, and it is possible the Spider could cut him open and make it a third. However, I don’t see that happening. What I do see is this fight going one of two ways. Dec. Chael or Sub Silva.

Sonnen will take Anderson down, there is no avoiding it. The problem then becomes the fact that 6 out of 10 of Chael’s losses have come via Submission. He is especially susceptible to the triangle choke. A.S. has a black belt in BJJ but we really haven’t ever seen him use it much.

Anderson has also appeared to be somewhat weary of the ground game. Yes he choked out Hendo, but he was afraid to go to the ground with Leites and Mia. Chael is not anywhere near as skilled on the ground as those two but he is dangerous from the top (in the same way that Fitch is).
    I expect that if Sonnen can make it all five rounds, he will take the Dec. If not, he’s getten subbed in the 2nd or 3rd.

I’ll be routing for Chael but realistically, Anderson should take this. Chael has lost to Forrest, Mia and Horn (3 times), all guys that Anderson beat pretty handily. If Sonnen does win though, you can bet we’re gonna hear how Chael “Disrespected” Silva by taking the fight to the ground and not standing in front of him to get hit.

sorry. had to through in that dig.;)

• Makington says:

Of course my argument doesn’t hold much ground to Dufresne’s analysis up above but I’ve had a weird feeling that Chael was going to grind Silva out for a 5 round decision. Absurd, I know, but I’ve gotten one of those feelings right when Chael beat Marquardt. He might just get kicked in the face when he shoots in but I think it’s his time.

I imagine it’s the same feeling that one guy in North America had who thought Werdum would beat Fedor.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

What a load of nonsense Dufresne .
    He didn’t crush Hendo for a start, in reality he was dominated in the first rd. Hendo landed his very first take down attempt too. Hendo didn’t shoot for a single leg either in their fight. Not once.
    Nice reasons for his boring fights but they are wrong … completely wrong. The reason Maia and Leites was boring was because he wouldn’t engage them on the ground and that was the only way either could win and he just danced around. Cote was boring because both fighters were reluctant to engage, Silva danced around and then Cote blew out a knee or something. It had very little if anything to do with what you say, he just refused to engage in dangerous positions (perhaps Fedor should refuse to engage too). Are you trying to say he refused to go to the ground with Leites and Maia because he had little to prove?.
    I think Sonnen is his 2nd or maybe biggest challenge since coming to the UFC. I have said for years that he needs a rematch with Hendo or to face and explosive wrestler or power grappler like Filho or Sonnen (or Jacre springs to mind now). I still think the biggest threats to Silva at MW are Hendo, Shields, Sonnen, Jacre, Lindland (yes Lindland) and Belfort. Belfort is the odd 1 out for obvious reasons.

• Rich S. says:

Dufresne is right. Every now and then, Anderson feels the need to step up and have an impressive outing. Sadly, however, every now and then he also feels the need to pester and embarrass his opponents over the course of five rounds.

Surely, he will perform at his best against Sonnen. Here are a few reasons why:

A: Chael is a serious threat to his title.
    B: Chael is talking a lot of trash and acting as if he’ll easily beat Anderson, and we know that can make Silva uneasy.
    C: Dana has made it very clear that he wants nothing to do with an Anderson Silva that doesn’t show up to fight and fight hard. I know Anderson seems to have grown bored of MMA lately, as evidence of all his talk of boxing and the obvious change in fighting style, but surely he wouldn’t want to go out being fired from the UFC and stripped of his title.

• bigbadjohn says:

“were gonna hear how Chael “Disrespected” Silva by taking the fight to the ground”

thats gold, MCM.

• BillyWarhol says:

I look forward to Anderson Silva Putting that Repube out to Pasture on Bush’s Hobby Farm or to some idyllic idiotic Brainwashed Religious Summer Camp!! Shut him up Real Good Anderson!! 😉

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Can I just say how stupid the MW rankings are on this site. Wanderlei is top 10 with 1 win at MW ever and a record of 6-4 from his last 10 and Jacre is not mentioned with his only loss in the last 6 or so years being to Mousasi in the Pride GP final and wins over Villasenor, Lindland, Mayhem and Galeisic.
    Should read Silva, Sonnen, Sheilds, Hendo, Jacre, Belfort, Okami, Marquardt, Maia, Lombard, Khalidov, Santiago, Mayhem, Belcher, Bisping, and Lindland Before Diaz, and before Wanderlei for sure.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Sorry should read 4-6 for Wanderlei as in 4 wins 6 losses.

• Dufresne says:

Hendo did beat Silva in the first round, but the second was a completely different story. Silva came out with an entirely different level of intensity than he showed in the first and took Hendo out.

My bad about messing up the fact about the single leg, but the general point still remains there, Maia couldn’t get Anderson to the ground.

Can you really say that Anderson was scared of Cote’s standup? No, neither of them engaged much, but I find it really hard to believe that Anderson’s lack of aggression on his feet had more to do with him being worried about Cote’s striking than it did with his general attitude for the fight. Cote didn’t come close to finishing Leben when they fought and his two TKO’s just before fighting Silva were against McFedries (8-6) and Grove (12-7), so it’s not like he’s the most dangerous guy on his feet (even though that’s where he’s made his name). I can see why Cote might have been “hesitant” to engage, but not Silva.

I’m not saying he didn’t go to the ground with Leites and Maia because he had nothing to prove, I’m saying he didn’t KO them because he had nothing to prove. He was clearly the better fighter standing, especially in the Leites fight. At one point he was actually slapping Leites at will. If you can reach out and slap someone, you can definitely punch them.

And why should he engage a BJJ fighter on the ground if he doesn’t have to? There’s absolutely no rule in MMA that says if one fighter flops on his back, fails at pulling guard, or fails at a takedown that you’re obligated to get on the canvas with them. I can see why people were mad at him after the Maia fight, because at least Maia attempted to engage towards the end. Leites attempted 16 takedowns and was successful on 1, but I can’t even remember how many times he simply flopped to his back hoping Silva would join him. Other than that Leites’s offense amounted to landing 17 strikes over 5 rounds. How is it that Silva catches all the flack for that fight when he not only stuffed 15 takedowns, got up from the only one that did succeed, and answered Leites’s 17 strikes with 104 of his own?

Just out of curiosity, how do you know what’s going on in Silva’s head? I definitely don’t. I thought he was going for the finish in the Maia fight, and instead he just screwed around for the next 2.5 rounds even when Maia was trying to stand with him. The only insight we ever get into Silva is the few interview/press-conferences he does, and that’s what I based my statements on.

I can’t completely count Chael out in this fight either, regardless of the fact that I see Anderson winning this in just about any way he wants.
    Chael surprised the hell out of me when he took out Marquardt with his wrestling. If Chael does get it to the ground I don’t think he’ll be able to submit or stop Anderson with GnP, so he’d probably end up trying to get a “control” decision. Chael has a ton of wins by decision, often from using his wrestling, so I can see him trying to go that route here.
    The only thing he’s got to worry about is, as MCM pointed out, Chael’s biggest weakness seems to be his submission defense and Anderson does have a black belt with the Nog brothers and he’s got long, thin limbs that are perfect for locking in a triangle or switching it up to an armbar.

• Dufresne says:

And yeah, I don’t think the rankings here have been updated in a while. They’ve still got Machida above Rua and they have Aoki above Melendez.

“because the Spider is usually quite a recluse”

Love it. Usually hate puns, but this one is pretty good.

• Guthookd says:

I’m glad he’s pissed cuz he can’t dance for shit.

• MickeyC says:

Man this could end a couple diffrent ways. I think if it goes the distance, and Anderson rides easy like he has in a few of his past fight Chael has a chance at a desion. But I also think Anderson could knock him out. Sonnen should be carful coming in for the shot, Anderson will train and could be ready for it. And if they Clinch, Sonnen could be in trouble. Chael best bet would be to put him on his back and hope he does not get tapped. Over all I would have to go with Anderson on the class of fighters he has fought and beat compaired to Sonnen.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Fair enough Dufresne. I do think Silva will be tested in this one. I will be very interested to see how it goes if Sonnen can survive a few rds.

• Dr.Stoppage says:

Very Simple.
    Silva by TKO round 3.

But I hope I’m wrong.

It’s great when a fight like this comes up where one guy should win,but you just can’t count the other one out.
    Wait,after reading through the above posts,I predict-

Silva by KO round 3.

• Dufresne says:

“I agree with you MickeyC in that Silva has faced and beaten better fighters but … Marquardt, Filho, Dan Miller, Okami, Suloev and Mayhem are a few good scalps also.”

Not taking shots at you MMA-Logic, I just drank too much caffeine and can’t get to sleep.

That list is pretty impressive, especially with how he completely controlled Marquardt for almost the entire fight. But as odd as it may seem at first glance, I wasn’t all that impressed with his win over Filho.

Filho had already pulled out of their original rematch up due to starting drug rehab, and when they finally did meet up Filho came in overweight. Then in the fight Filho just looked… lost. I don’t really know how else to describe it, but he just looked kinda lost and confused the entire time. Not at all like he’s looked in every one of his other fights that I’ve gotten to watch. I don’t know if he was sick or just so dehydrated that he wasn’t fully there or what, but he was definitely not his usual self.
    I’m also assuming it wasn’t directly related to the addiction he was/is fighting simply because he either tested clean or wasn’t tested, and I can’t imagine an athletic commission not drug testing a guy who pulled out of his last bout due to a drug problem.

Not saying Chael didn’t win that fight, because he absolutely dominated the entire time, just saying it wasn’t against the Filho that usually shows up.

Completely random side point: If the challenger shows up to a championship fight overweight, they change it to a non-title bout every time. And that makes sense. You don’t follow the rules, you don’t deserve a shot at the gold.

My problem is when a champ shows up overweight.
    In that case the fight is no longer a title bout as well, but I don’t really see how that is fair. The challenger is getting penalized in what could be his only title shot in a competitive division because of something he didn’t have any control over. I don’t know exactly how they should overcome this, but it just seems crappy to me that a guy can be guaranteed to keep his belt by simply showing up 2 or 3 pounds overweight. I’m sure if one fighter did that repeatedly he would be stripped and probably fired, but that doesn’t help the guys he screwed over.

• randallhump says:

sonnen is the exact kind of fighter i despise i hope the spider brings back the glory days of pride and shows him what real mma is all about

• Niv says:

I honestly believe this is just another opponent that has no business in the ring with Silva. Once again we’ll hype a fight that will show another outclassed opponent, I for one will not be suckered into thinking this will be a good fight.

I hope Vitor gets well soon so we can actually see Silva be given a test.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Filho is at MW again on Sat in Sydney. I wonder if he will make weight (or even show) and whether he will be back on track. I see where you are coming from Dufresne as far as Filho’s loss to Sonnen but you could say the same thing about Silva’s victories over Forrest (for me Forrest was pathetic) and his wins over Cote, Maia and Leites were hardly barn burners or great displays.
    I am not a huge fan of Filho but I do think at 1 time he was the best and if he can get himself back on track he will be up there again.

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

This could be ugly. If Spider decides he has something to prove Sonnen could end up in the hospital.

Give Sonnen credit for his willingness to talk junk but, only hope he can back it up or might be a really short night.

• Lethal Liquid says:

I hope Sonnen’s insurance is up to date because a trip to the hospital is highly likely. When you talk trash to this dude he focuses in on you like a laser. Sonnen doesn’t knowr what he walking into. Can’t wait to see the fire back into Silva again

• manny says:

Can you say Silva vs Griffin Part 2?
    Nah, after all the trash talking he’s been doing i think he will beat SOnnen up and knock sum sense in him then finish him in rd 2 or 3.

This card is basically Brazil vs USA

Silva vs Sonnen- Silva via KO 2nd or 3rd rd
    Dos Santos vs Nelson- Dos Santos via KO 2nd rd
    Dos Anjos vs Guida- Guida – Split Dec
    Alves vs Fitch – Alves 2nd rd TKO
    Almeida vs Hughes – Almeida Split Dec or Sub

Brazil 4 to USA 1

• Angry Mike says:

Until he manhandled Marquardt, I wouldn’t have given Sonnen any chance to beat Silva. After watching the Marquardt fight I have to give Sonnen a chance, but it’s a small one. He’s at risk on his feet, and even on the ground he has to worry. Sonnen has lost more than once by submission, and Silva tapped out Lutter, who has serious bjj.

I’d love to see Sonnen win, though. Silva’s antics in the Maia fight were a disgrace

• Creature says:

Im just gonna add my 2 cents, well for one thing, i dont believe silva dominated hendo like earlier stated, even in the 2nd round, hendo landed some good shots, another is that i dont believe marquardt is the moost well rounded silva has faced, id give that 2 franklin, but i dont think chael is well rounded enough 2 win this, i also believe hendo shoulda gotten his rematch cuz i think he woulda won and in dominite fashion, and i think marquardt will be the one 2 finally take silva out, he has improved greatly since that 1st fight. if not him maybe finally throw GSP in there, i think without a doubt GSP would beat silva