Fujii vs. Magana, Alvarez vs. Aguilar set for Bellator 24 in Florida

Angela Magana

Angela Magana

HOLLYWOOD, Fla. (July 15, 2010) — Bellator’s much anticipated Women’s World Championship Tournament will kick off on Thursday, Aug. 12th at the Seminole Hard Rock Hotel & Casino in Hollywood, Fla., with two opening-round fights featuring four of the planet’s top-ranked female fighters.

In the first televised fight of the evening, the No. 1 pound-for-pound female fighter in the world, Megumi Fujii, will look to improve upon her flawless 20-0 pro MMA record against fast-rising submission grappler Angela Magana, the world’s No. 8-ranked female fighter at 115 lbs. Magana has hopes of making history against the Japanese phenom while Fujii is looking to make an example out of the New-Mexico based fighter on her way to the semifinals.

Then, in another nationally-televised opening round fight, the world’s No. 6-ranked 125-pounder, Lynn “Lights Out” Alvarez, will square off against the world’s No. 7-ranked 115-pounder Jessica Aguilar, who calls South Florida home. Both fighters are currently riding impressive winning streaks and have reputations for ending fights early.

The event — which will be broadcast LIVE nationwide on FOX Sports Net and during weekend highlight shows on NBC, Telemundo and the cable network mun2 — also marks the beginning of Bellator’s Season 3 Men’s Heavyweight Tournament and features a special non-title Main Event bout between reigning Bellator Middleweight Champion Hector Lombard and former NFL standout Herbert “Whisper” Goodman.

The two fighters in the event’s Heavyweight Tournament fight will be announced in the coming days.

“I can think of no better place than the Hard Rock to kick off the action for our third season and our Women’s World Championship Tournament,” said Bellator founder and CEO Bjorn Rebney. “The four female fighters on the card for this event are each among the top 10 in the world and I know that they are going to put on a great show for the great MMA fans in South Florida.”

In addition to the four nationally-televised fights, the event will also play host to five “Local Feature Fights” showcasing some of the best up-and coming talent in South Florida. More details on those fights will be announced soon.

Tickets for the event are on sale NOW at ticketmaster.com and at the Hard Rock Live box office.
For more information, visit Bellator.com, follow us on Twitter @BellatorMMA or become a fan on Facebook at Facebook.com/Bellator.

• Dufresne says:

Definitely excited about this tourney.

The lady folks always bring it, and they’ve got some of the best lining up here.

Not to mention that Magana is pretty hot…

This tourney will really shed light on the potential womens divisions have…a bunch of great female fighters on the roster… The ladies are going to outshine the fellas this time around

• BillyWarhol says:

Yeah Magana is definitely HOT!!!

• Guthookd says:

Hell yes she is hot, though I like ’em a little more mean looking. The topic here though should be WTF is up with that pose? It’s funny but I just can’t imagine what initiated the full-twist-block-the-right-side-peek-to-the-left-lean-way-back-and-smile-pretty-pose. :0

The women’s tournament is going to be absolutely great. I wish they’d just take that niche and go with it strong, provided FSN would still be in on the TV deal.

I would trade the HW tournament for a 125 or 135 lb. women’s tournament, in addition to the 115 lb. tournament. The UFC is clearly not interested in women fighters, so why not give them a Nationally Televised platform from which to shine and and the same time establish a niche, eventually make some good money off of it, and avoid the wrath of UFC counter programming all at the same time!

There’s only a couple of us who are really interested in BFC anyway. What do you think? Would you be equally interested if it was a women’s only promotion? Seriously.

• Guthookd says:

OK, god damn, I write like shit, but you get the point. Where’s the damn “edit” button.

• Dufresne says:

I would like a woman’s league at some point, but I don’t think there is enough of a market for one now or in the near future. And even if interests keep growing, I’m worried that it might end up like the WNBA with only a few fans and very few recognizable names.

If someone can foster and bring along women’s MMA until it’s more mainstream, I think it would probably be better off if it stayed in conjunction with the men’s division.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

I hate to say it but a lot of womens sports that are as, or more popular than the mens are popular for other reasons than ability, with only a few exceptions. I hope it succeeds but if it doesn’t, I wont lose any sleep.

• MCM says:

What sports are you talking about LOGIC?

And I agree with Duf. Of the four female fighters announced in this article one has less than 7 fights under her belt one has and 8-3 record and the other (Magana) is 8-4, and coming off a loss. And these are 3 of the top ten in the sport!?
    I know that each of them are pioneers and that women’s MMA is still pretty infantile (as is the sport as a whole), so I don’t feel that there is near enough talent to support a woman’s only league or that it’s possible/profitable to hold a woman’s only show. Give it 20 yrs like we’ve had to do with mens MMA and then we’ll see.

I am looking forward to the fights though

• cutman says:

First and foremost I am A fight fan, every women fight Bellator had was very exciting so I don’t mind the gender thing. But you guy’s are correct women mma is infant right now and not a lot of competition for the top tier fighters,saying that I think Bellator is doing an awesome job recruiting talent just like they do at every level.

Can’t wait for Aug……

Go to the Bellator website to see what time FSN is on in your area……..

• Guthookd says:

OK, well now I know why they’re not doing that then. Points taken.