Michael Bisping vs. Yoshihiro Akiyama booked for UFC 120

Middleweights at decisively different points in their UFC careers will be facing off in a bout that is sure to deliver during UFC 120 as Michael Bisping will be looking to notch his second consecutive victory at the weight class when he faces off with Yoshihiro Akiyama, who is hoping to rebound from a recent UFC 116 triangle submission defeat at the legs of Chris Leben.

News of the bout comes courtesy of Fighters Only, who recently reported that one bout agreement has already been signed while the second is expected to be finalized shortly.

UFC 120 is expected to take place on October 16, 2010 from the O2 Arena in London, England while airing on Spike TV.

Other cards anticipated for the event that remain unannounced through the UFC include welterweights Dan Hardy vs. Carlos Condit, and Cheick Kongo vs. Travis Browne in a heavyweight battle.

Bisping is fresh off of a unanimous decision victory over Dan Miller and holds a recent notable unanimous decision win over Chris Leben, who stopped Akiyama in his previous outing, while “Sexyama” had gone on a three-fight win streak that included a “Fight of the Night” victory over Alan Belcher at UFC 100 prior to the defeat.

• MickeyC says:

For as cocky as Bisping is I would think he would have demanded a tougher fight.

I’m going with sexyama for this one…

• bigbadjohn says:

ya agreed. and what a shit main event.

• MickeyC says:

Don’t get me wrong Akiyama was in a real brawl with Leban, and he is no joke, it is just confussing that Bisping would be fighting someone coming off a lose. To some one he beat no less.

• fanoftna33 says:

I think Akiyama is looking at two loses in a row. And for Kongo, wow is he now getting the Gonzaga treatment or what. Every time he loses to a top guy the ufc throws a relative newcomer at him to build him up to be the eventual title contender he probably never will become.

• MickeyC says:

I think I would rather see Bisping and Leban rematch.

• bigbadjohn says:

this sets up the winner for a fight (and possible rematch) with the winner of Leben and Wanderlei i guess

• danw84 says:

Ok I’m normally not one to complain about cards that lack star power/relevency, but HOW is this a main event?

This is max a mid main card fight, at best.

I understand Bisping is important for British fans, and Sexyama for Japanese, but come on.

• Dufresne says:

Maybe I missed something, but I didn’t see where it said this was a main event?

If it is, then I agree it’s a pretty weak one, especially if it’s a PPV card, but if not then it should make a pretty good televised card fight.

• fanoftna33 says:

i belive this is the main event, and rightly so. Both guys put on terrific fights(Akiyama 2 for 2 in fotn checks and Bisping is no slouch either) and really i am thankful they dont have Kongo headlining this card.

• bigbadjohn says:

Bisping isnt a slouch. but he is Mr. Decision of late. this is almost guaranteed going 3 rounds. And after Hardys show of heart against GSP, i think he is a more relevant and adored Brit. Why not make his fight the main event?? You know it will be a barn-burner.

• MCM says:

It’s being reported elsewhere that this is the main event and Hardy/Condit is co-main. I can see why the UFC would put these guys at the top since it is in England, but they are playing it smart with the US audience by putting it on Spike.

I’m gonna pull for Akiyama, but Bisping has never lost in his own country. Bisping hits hard, Akiyama was hurt in his Leben fight and The Count is much more technical that Leben. It’s not inconceivable that Bisping could do what only one other fighter has done so far and TKO Sexyama.

• danw84 says:

I missed where it said it’s on Spike, so yeah I guess I get how this is a main event now. I am so sick of paying for tape delayed fights overseas.

It’s free so I won’t complain… too much.

• Makington says:

Yeah if this were a ppv it would be a baffling main event but being free I think it’s pretty good. I don’t know if it was just his cardio or if it was because he got sapped by fighting a clearly bigger foe in his fight with Leben but if Akiyama comes out in the same shape he will be in some major trouble with a cardio machine like Bisping.

I think Bisping will take a unanimous decision in a fight that Akiyama could have won if he remembered how legit his ground game is. My guess is he tries to slug it out on the feet and gets beat to the punch by Bisping all night. I still think both fighters are quite far away from a title shot but this is a good step for either fighter I think.

• ash-uk-187 says:

new poster so go easy!

I think this is a relativly good match up for bisping. I was kinda hoping that he was gonna fight vitor, because as much as i like the guy i kinda like to see him get koed(?)!

Bis has showed that he has grown slightly as a fighter since the hendo fight but i still see this going to decision, probably his way.

I do find it kinda funny how sexyama didnt want to fight leben as he didnt think him credible bearing in mind leben lost to bisping an bisping lost to wanderlei…well you see where this is going haha!

• Nice, I like that Yoshihiro Akiyama wants to get in and fight again. .. he needs to. The guy is a stud. He didn’t get knocked out by Leban.. getting submitted at the very end of the 3rd round is not the same thing as getting knock out in my opinion. I like this guy in the UFC. He took a lot of shots from Chris and says ya, put me in again coach. . . heart______ with a pulse.

This is a really good match up by Joe Silva. Yoshihiro wanted to fight the best and now he arguably steps up in competition being Bisping beat Leban. If Yoshihiro loses then I wonder where does that leave him in the UFC. He could just be cut and go to Strikeforce, I would watch him fight over there. I like his style. I would hope that he becomes the gate keeper for a while because he is a talented fighter. I love what the UFC is doing right now and Strikeforce and don’t forget Bellator and oh ya, the WEC which is stacked with talent.

MMA Dats ^&>~

• LiverPunch says:

I wanted Bisping vs Maia.
    Who said this was the main event?. If it is that sux.

• moosebaby02 says:

i would like to see the cocky brit take on someone coming off a win but what ever. Go Sexyama. the other fights look good as well. whats all the complaining about???? at least were seeing guys names being put out there instead of “fighter A” vs “TBD”

• fanoftna33 says:

I think Condit vs Hardy is going to be a great fight. along with the main event this could be one of the best Spike cards in a long time.

• king mah mah says:

This is kind of weird that they would match up Bisping with someone that just lost, but I can see where they’re going with it. I would like to see a rematch between Leban and Bisping.

I think Bisping will get the win by shocking KO, especially since everyone is calling him out on winning by decision here lately. Either way I don’t see Bisping losing here.

Bisping is good enough to keep it standing where he will either out point him or KO him. I’m not really a die hard Bisping fan, but I wouldn’t mind seeing him win here so Leban can knock his ass out!!

• Dufresne says:

mah mah, I would have agreed with you up until Akiyama’s fight with Leben. I still can’t believe he ate that many of Leben’s power shots and stayed on his feet…

• stone says:

I’m hoping Bisping gets finished… Lord knows you can’t beat him with a decision in England. I can’t stand Bis… With respectable opponents (Leben, Wand, Hendo, evans, hammil) he uses his B-S footwork and runs away from the fight. Give him a less spectacular fighter (kang, day) he goes hard on’em… It shows how much of a douche he is… His decision wins are never wars… They’re always borring as hell. I’m willing to bet he runs the whole fight and inches out a dec win… What a shame this is the main event! Condit vs Hardy sounds WAY more “main event worthy”

• boomnutz says:

honestly who else would you have Bisping fight?? i don’t think it said main event, but he’ll def. be co-main event, and i bet they’ll add something else here. But it’s a free card so there’s no title bouts, honestly who else is there? they’re going to put together a card with relevant fights that should have quality violence with an emphasis in standup, ie Bisping/Akiyama, Condit/Hardy, Kongo/Browne (though Kongo is running out of relevance, he’s still a great gatekeeper and very popular in England, don’t forget he trains with Wolflair). When its a free fight i think they’re main concern is an exciting fight, and on paper i think it’s hard to argue any of these won’t be exciting