Frank Mir vs. Antonio Rodrigo Nogueria II, Ryan Bader vs. Antonio Rogerio Nogueria set for UFC 119

The card for UFC 119 is slowly coming together as UFC President Dana White confirmed two major fights for the upcoming event in Indianapolis. In the main event, Frank Mir will face Antonio Rodrigo Nogueria in a re-match from their fight at UFC 92, and Ultimate Fighter winner Ryan Bader will face Antonio Rogerio Nogueria in a light heavyweight battle.

White spoke to MMAFighting today and confirmed both fights for the card.

Mir is looking to rebound from a brutal beating handed out by Shane Carwin at UFC 111, a fight that saw Mir put against the cage brutalized with a series of uppercuts before the referee stopped the fight on the ground. Mir had talked about moving down to 205 pounds, but it seems like that talk has cooled down recently.

Nogueria suffered his second TKO loss in his entire career against Cain Velasquez at UFC 110, his second knockout in three fights. The fan favorite has always been known for his resiliency.

Bader was the light-heavyweight winner of the eighth season of The Ultimate Fighter and is undefeated in his MMA career. Despite his background as a wrestler, Bader has been proven to be a finisher in his MMA career, finishing eight of out his eleven fights by knockout or submission. His biggest victory came at UFC 110 where he finished Keith Jardine with a flying knee to the chest and a left hook.

Rogerio Nogueria is on a seven fight win streak, including two straight victories in the UFC. He faced a very game Jason Brilz at UFC 114, and picked up a very controversial split decision victory. The Brazilian is looking to pick a victory and solidify himself as a top contender in the very tough light-heavyweight division. Nogueria has finished eleven of his nineteen victories by either knockout or submission, making him a tough fight for anybody in the division. An interesting sub-plot for this fight is the fact that his brother was Bader’s coach on the eighth season of The Ultimate Fighter.

UFC 119 occurs on September 25 and will emanate from the Conseco Field House in Indianapolis, Indiana.

• Dufresne says:

This is starting to look like a decent card. I’m more excited about Bader/Little Nog than I am about the rematch.

Bader may be a fairly new face in MMA compared to either of the Nogs, but he’s pretty talented and already made a bit of a name for himself. He’s got a great opportunity here with Little Nog. Losing wouldn’t be a huge blow to his career, but if he wins he could be looking at a title shot in the next year or so.
    I’m a big fan of both of the Nog brothers as they’re both great competitors and have always been very classy and respectful. I especially like Little Nog because of his better standup game compared to his HW twin. I’m as big a fan as anyone of good BJJ, but I have to admit I come from a boxing background so you know I love it when a fighter has hands like Lil Nog.

I don’t really know who will win this, or even who I want to win this. Lil Nog is a favorite of mine, but Bader is quickly working his way up the ranks as well. All I do know is that I’m excited to see this fight.

• Creature says:

After seeing the lil nog briltz fight im gonna have 2 go with bader via decision, and after seeing how great big nog looked against couture when he wasnt getting over staff im gonna go with big nog over mir via TKO

• sigmund says:

This is gonna be a good card I think. I’m still kinda iffy on the rematch call on mir and Big nog but the matchmakers probably know something i don’t. I like the bader lil nog match-up though. If bader wins this he should face jones next(providing jones is victorious in his next bout against matyushenko) for a potential title shot. that’s just my two cents worth

• Makington says:

I read a lot of people on other boards already calling this UFC a flop because it doesn’t have any titles or huge names but these cards are always the ones that end up being my favourite. Last year actually my 2 favourite cards were the ones that sandwiched UFC 100 (and 101 but meh) The Ultimate Fighter Finale with Clay Guida and Diego Sanchez stole the night and UFC 102 with Big Nog against Couture were all events that didn’t have any big names, but were way better than UFC 100 in terms of fight quality imo. Even go look at the cards and you’ll remember how exciting some of the fights were.

So I will never say never about this card, and it just might end up surprising people again. These ones always do.

As for the fights, Mir is obsessed and neurotic, but I’ve never seen a fighter make it work as well as he does. The amount he’s grown as a fighter over the past year and a half is very respectable, but I still don’t consider him great the way the UFC hypes him(like most people on this board) He has already talked about dropping to 205 so I don’t know if he will still weigh 260ish pounds but the muscle would probably help him. As for Nog, I’m a Velasquez fan so I think his win was more of his talent than Nog getting old but I could be wrong. We’ll see come fight time what kind of future he has in the octagon.

As for the other Nog fight, I really don’t know. Everytime I pick someone to win I think of all the really strong reasons why I picked the wrong guy and the other will win so I switch and then think of all the reasons why I shouldn’t have switched etc… I really don’t know but this minute I’m thinking Bader will win by decision. He knows how close Brilz came using his wrestling and I’m thinking he wants this win bad enough to redo his fight with Carmello and out-wrestle Nog.

I don’t dislike the card I just don’t know if I’m that interested to purchase it…

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

I think big Nog will have an easier night than little Nog. I think Bader is all around better than Brilz. Brilz didn’t have a ton of stand up to go with his wrestling where Bader looks to be better in both depts.

I’m gonna have to call Bader by UD as well. Think he will have the wrestling and stand up to keep Nog honest and be good enough on the ground to avoid the submission.

Big Nog/Mir..hmmm I guess it depends on which version of each fighter we see. If Mir comes in at 265 I don’t see him winning with the extra 25-30 pounds over his prime fighting weight. If he comes in around 240 ish and works on his boxing he might have a shot. If the Big Nog who we last saw staring at the lights shows up who was getting beat to the punch then it might be a long night.

If Big Nog shows up in the form he was in to beat Randy I see him taking it. Either way this could be a really close match. I’m gonna have to say Big Nog by UD. Think the ground game is gonna be a push. Both are very good BJJ artists but, not sure if one is gonna be able to sub the other.

• FierceFlamingo says:

I just hope to for the love of all that is good that Frank Mir hasn’t given up on his new Strength and conditioning program just because he got outmuscled by Shane Carwin. The talk of cutting down to 205 scares me lol, I’ll officially have to stop being a Mir fan if he is back down to 240 and gets beat by Nog.

• MickeyC says:

I would have to go with Bader via des. But I have high hopes for the rematch. Both men must see this as a last chance to grasp onto any type of contender standing. Reguardless they would be at the tail end of the top 5 or 6, but the loser would curtinly be knocked way do with no chance in facing top contenders for a while. I could see the winner of this facing the winner of Nelson /JDS. And it is way off, but maybe the winner of that face carwin. Who knows.

• moosebaby02 says:

I wouldnt mind watching these two fights. looks like its going to be a good card

• danw84 says:

Agreed moosebaby02, I’m looking forward to this.

I don’t get why people, not really seeing many around here, but people complain about these cards. It’s proven time and time again that the cards without huge names and super important fights are some of the best (obviously excluding 116 which just god damn delivered).

Look at how much people cried about 115, and how good it turned out to be. 102 is another example of a fantastic card that people bitched about prior. I honestly find these kinds of cards to be far better than ones with tons of hype and expectations.

• Makington says:

Or like basically any WEC card dan haha.

It still blows my mind how no one knows what the WEC even is.

• all i have to say is .. . . . . sweet 😀

• Creature says:

Im now even more excited about this car because im going 2 see it 😀 i live in indiana it will be the 1st one ive ever been 2

• LiverPunch says:

Big Nog via dec and little Nog via sub.

• Jstew3785 says:

I think this is awesome. If Big Nog is healthy then this is a lot more interesting. I think Mir will walk in around 250-255. I know he’s lost some weight but I doubt that much really. Ryan Bader vs Lil Nog to me is an amazing fight. Great matchmaking on that one. Lil Nog looked horrible against Brilz and still pulled it off (controversially, but a W is a W). I’d like to see him come in fully trained and prepared for his opponent. Hopefully Bader will learn to pace himself because if he gasses out against someone as dangerous as Nog then it could be a short night for him. Really looking forward to this card

• sides666 says:

I like the nog bros but it seems like they are more on the way out than up. I cannot see either one laying claim to a title but they both put on exciting fights. Mir by tko round 1 and bader by ud. I dont get why nog and mir are going at it again usually a decisive victory does not warrant a rematch.

• Dufresne says:

I believe the reason for the rematch is that Big Nog was suffering from a staph infection right before the fight that actually landed him in the hospital. Guess we get to see if that TKO was due to Nog fading out or because of after effects of the infection.

• MCM says:

I agree with you LiverPunch.
    I think people are sleeping on Lil Nogs BJJ skills. This is the same guy that armbar’d Hendo in his prime. He knows how to roll with great wrestlers he just underestimated a game Brilz in his last fight. We’ve have also yet to see how Bader will do with a BJJ blackbelt that also knows how to take a punch. Lil Nog is not Vinny Magalhaes.

I also don’t think Big Not is gonna be able to finish Mir, but I think he will get the Dec. Unless Mir can keep this one on the feet, then he has a better chance of out pointing him. This is actually Mir’s fight to lose, and I think he’s going to.

• Angry Mike says:

Both Nogs have great bjj, but they’re really emphasizing their stand up, at least in UFC. .

Bader is an interesting match up for little Nog. Bader has great cardio, heavy hands, and good wrestling. I forsee a Couture-style fight where he tries to control little Nog against the cage. I’m predicting a Bader win by decision, although I wouldn’t rule out a tko in the late second or third. Little Nog could and should get it to the ground and put Bader on his back, but I don’t see that happening. I think he’ll try to stand and trade with Bader, and that’s risky.

Mir is a bad match up for big Nog, imo. Mir can match him on the feet or on the ground. Lots of people thought Mir’s tko in their first fight was due to Nog’s staph, but then he was stopped by punches from Cain. The years may be catching up with Big Nog. I like Mir’s chances, and predict a tko or ko in the second or third.

• Jstew3785 says:

Bader has great cardio…??? I’m sorry, I have to disagree. He’s gassed out in every one of his UFC fights so far, except for his 1 minute KO of Vinny

• danw84 says:

Yeah but man did he look fresh in that first minute.

• Dufresne says:

“Yeah but man did he look fresh in that first minute.”

Lol, Smart Ass Comment of the Day Award goes to…. danw84!!!

Nicely done.

• boomnutz says:

i think stylistically we’re in for a great fight! think Brilz v Lil Nog except i don’t think Bader has the BJJ to keep position like Brilz did so we should see some more standup, plus Bader likes to stand. Now we got Lytle and Serra, another great stlye fight hopefully Nog knocks out Mir and then this will be a SICK card, i’m looking forward to it

Anyone else realize UFC is going on a super run! UFC 116 was awesome, UFC 117 (until i saw 116 i thought 117 would be the card of the year) and 118 look awesome, and 119 is beginning to shape up, plus 120 is in London, which should mean Dana will go all out, and then we have Brock vs Cain!!! add in some Jonny Bones Jones and a few other free cards and this is an awesome summer for MMA!!!!!! or, well the UFC, but still!!! WOOOOOO