Nate Diaz signs four-fight extension with UFC

Already a veteran of ten fights in the UFC, Nate Diaz has recently agreed to terms that will see his tenure with the promotion extended for another four bouts.

News of the contract extension comes courtesy of Cesar Gracie, Diaz’ manager and trainer, who recently relayed the news to MMAJunkie.com.

Diaz recently moved up to the welterweight division after spending the bulk of his career at lightweight. He is curently scheduled to face off with Marcus “The Irish Hand Grenade” Davis at UFC 118 in Boston on August 28.

Diaz will be looking to notch his second consecutive victory in the welterweight division after recently stopping Rory Markham via first round TKO, while Davis is also looking to make in two in a row after stopping Jonathan Goulet with a second round TKO in his last trip to the Octagon.

• Dufresne says:

Good. I know a lot of people hate the Diaz brothers for their attitudes and personas, but they’re both great fighters who always put on an entertaining show. I personally think that their version of trash talking is amusing.

Nate is turning into a very solid MMA fighter. He has been pretty good for as long as I can remember watching him, but lately he’s shown a lot more refinement to all facets of his game. He and his brother’s striking styles may be very unorthodox, but it also helps win them a ton of fights. I’m curious how effective it will be against a guy like Davis who has a pretty solid professional boxing background.

• hindsightufuk says:

i’m with you there, love both of them, just wish they’d fight more often, especially Nick

• Angry Mike says:

My favorite comment about the Diaz brothers was Dana White’s statement that they hate everybody. Pretty much sums up their world view.

• Dufresne says:

Well, I doubt they hate everyone, they have to get their smoky treats from somewhere.

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

Love the Diaz bros. They come to fight every time and if their opponent isn’t ready for a war it becomes a short night. Think Diaz v. Davis had FOTN potential. Neither guy knows what quit means and you have to KO them to stop them. I se Diaz via UD cause I don’t think either will KO the other.

I dislike the Diaz Bro.’s shitty attitudes BUT there skill set deserves some respect.

This fight will have some fireworks… I just don’t see where Nick’s career is going to take him, whether he fights in LW or in WW… both divisions have little room to breathe and I don’t know if he is the cream of the crop in either division.

• metalmulisha says:

A four fight extension that he could be released from after one fight.
    I’d bet that’s the type of contract this is.

• MickeyC says:

I like them both. I’ve watch both evolve in both standup and BJJ. Win or lose, always good fights.With Sheilds probably going to UFC, I wonder if we will see other Gracie’s follow.

• Dufresne says:

“A four fight extension that he could be released from after one fight.
    I’d bet that’s the type of contract this is.”

Pretty sure all UFC contracts have a stipulation that lets them release a fighter at pretty much any time and for whatever reason they want.

Unless Nate does something monumentally stupid I don’t see that happening even if he loses this fight. He’s a TUF winner and he’s gone 7-3 in the UFC with 0 boring fights.

• metalmulisha says:

I notice people disagree with my previous post.
    I guess then you guys must think a four fight contract means just that he’s got four fights guaranteed.
    Well think again. That’s what it should mean, but it doesn’t.

• mikefab says:

How much longer before Jake Shields signs a contract with UFC? Good signing, Nate always puts on entertaining fights. He may act like a jack ass before the fight, but he is always respectful of his opponent afterward.

• Dufresne says:

metal, a thumbs down doesn’t necessarily mean they think the contract is guaranteed. A thumbs down could mean a lot of things: they don’t like what you said, they don’t like how you said it, they disagree with the general sentiment of your post, they don’t like you as a poster (it happens), or maybe they do think that the contract is guaranteed.
    I don’t know exactly what people are thinking, but I would bet it’s not the last as most of the posters here are fairly well versed in MMA and most have some idea of how MMA contracts usually work.

• moosebaby02 says:

a four fight deal is money in the bag with a Diaz’s either way. always going to be good fight. on the feet or on the ground. straight up
    thats why its money in the bag metal.
    it dosent take him long to heal
    always there like Leban (who i have a new found respect for as a fighter and a man) to step up when needed.
    and almost always blood
    $$$$$$$$ in the BANK

• Talengard says:

I like watching Nate Diaz fight and I like watching him win even more, but I think Marcus Davis is a bad match up for him. It’s going to be like watching diaz v joe stevenson again. Davis is the size of some of the LWs that Nate was fighting, but Nate hasn’t shown me that he knows how to effectively use his reach advantage, so I don’t think it will help him at all. He’ll get toppled and be forced to fight at Davis’ pace. I’m going to rewatch a few of each of their fights, but I don’t see how this is a good match up for Nate.

• mywordisgospel says:

I think 170 suits Diaz just right. I was more impressed with his last fight than most of his 155’s. I personally like Marcus Davis much more than Diaz, but I dont see it ending well for Davis.