Strikeforce ‘trying to put together a deal’ with Dave Batista

Former WWE superstar Dave Batista recently made headlines when he prematurely announced his arrival in Stikeforce for a debut in mixed martial arts, and although nothing is set in stone as of this time, Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker recently revealed that there could be a future for the hulking heavyweight within the promotion.

“They have the desire to fight in MMA and we’re trying to put together a deal that makes sense,” said Coker during a conversation with the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show. “Is he signed right now? No. But is he somebody we’d like to see in the cage in the future fighting for Strikeforce? It’s a possibility.”

However, if Batista is to be taken seriously by Coker and Strikeforce, he’s going to have to prove that he’s serious about more than just collecting a fat paycheck.

“Just like we did with Herschel (Walker), we’d have to put him into a gym,” said Coker. “It doesn’t matter what gym, as long as it’s a reputable mixed martial arts academy. He has to go in there and train because if he didn’t, we’d probably have a short relationship.”

Coker would go on to use UFC Heavyweight Champion Brock Lesnar as a measuring stick for Batista.

“We’re not the guys that are putting all the circus fights on, but in all fairness, look at Brock Lesnar. He made the crossover. Why not Batista?,” said Coker.

In all fairness, Lesnar is a former NCAA Division I wrestling champion in the heavyweight division while Batista has no formal combat sport background outside of the WWE.

• Dufresne says:

Not to add that Batista is 41 and trying to come in while Lesnar was 29 at his debut…

Comments like this are why Scott Coker is an absolute fucking joke.

P.S. Scott Coker… you do co- promotions with the guys that put on all the circus fights ( Dream) you fucktard.

At least DW will call out a freakshow fight when he puts it together, Coker just have the balls to say I want to make money off of a bunch of prowrestling crossover fans…

• elsicilian says:

Come on, Scott Coker … I get what you’re trying to do, but arguments like that makes you sound dangerously ignorant about MMA in general (which you are obviously not), and reinforce the image of Strikeforce as a second-rate organization.

• bigbadjohn says:

The sad thing is he will be up against another ‘Greg Nagy’ and people will watch. even sadder thing is I probably will too.

• Makington says:

I just don’t understand why all these guys with little to no mma training are trying to join the sport after the age of 40. The only thing I learned from the Herschel Walker fight that surprised me was that Greg Nagy’s last name was actually pronounced like nudge.

I don’t know what Batisa hopes to accomplish in mma but he won’t be able to. Hell, an NCAA wrestler transitioning to mma at age 35 is still something very few athletes could do. Aside from having a pretty popular name, I see absolutely nothing he can bring to the table.

• twyg says:

Scot Coker is a fuking joke, and SF will be if they sign this clown. Since when did being a pro wrestler and a bouncer quilify you to be a pro mma fighter? Shouldn’t he have to at least have some kind of experience in a martial art? When did San Jose become a suburb of Tokyo? Brock at least had an NCAA wrestling record to justify his move to mma, this old ass man has none of it. Fuck even James Toney is a highly regarded boxing champion, and everyone considers his up coming fight a freakshow. If a former multi-weight class boxer is a freakshow, what the fuck do you call this horrible joke of a decision. I will lose any respect for SF if Jabba the Hut signs this ass clown. I want to see the UFC haters defend this move.

• Kamakosmo says:

I believe it was LiverPunch who raked me over the coals for calling Strikeforce the Minor leagues…..Well, if this story holds true, then Coker has proven it.

And you used “The NY Badass” as ur defending of Strikeforce. The UFC resigned him, for very little dough i’m sure, becasue he’s alway’s in entertaining fights, brings a funny charismatic style…and is an F’n MMA fighter for pete’s sake. Batista is an entertainer…ABSOLUTELY NO

• Kamakosmo says:

ooops.

.,….Real combat training at all. Lets hope they put a couple of folding chairs and change the rules so that he can jump off the top of the cage…..

• danw84 says:

Why do you guys care?

They’re going to put him up against someone else who sucks, make a few bucks, and that will be that.

As long as no one gets hurt, I don’t really see the harm in freakshow fights. They can be fun to watch. As long as no one is saying he’s an amazing fighter, and idiots believe them saying that like what Elite XC did with Kimbo, there really isn’t any reason to me why this fight shouldn’t happen.

• Kamakosmo says:

“there really isn’t any reason to me why this fight shouldn’t happen.”

• cocoonofhorror says:

damn, never realized how many idiotic Coker haters there were out there.

Never realized how many supporters of sub par MMA there where out there…

• danw84 says:

“They’ve already announced a fight? Wow, didn’t now that Dan…but seriously…Sure, freakshow fights are fun….and that is what Strikeforce, in part, is for.”

Well usually when someone signs to a fight promotion, that’s what they do, fight. If they’re thinking about signing him, then I’d say it’s fair to bet that they are going to expect him to fight.

And Rece, you can watch whatever you want. Why would you care what someone else watches? Should there be no smaller promotions? You do realize the majority of fighters in those promotions are sub-par compared to the major promotions’ fighter’s caliber.

• Dufresne says:

I’m not gonna lie, if this makes it on network tv I’m gonna be pissed. If you flat out admit you’re putting this on as a freakshow, I’ll watch it and be entertained. But if they try to play this off as a legitmate MMA prospect with serious talent I may just scream in rage. MMA has been trying to make it mainstream for a long time now, and it’s just starting to make headway. They have fighters on espn for interviews and they even announce the winner of title fights on sportscenter.
    But even with that there are a lot of people in the media, even ones with a legitmate knowledge of the sports world (Tony Kornheiser) that think that MMA is nothing but a bunch of freaks and beasts in a cage looking for blood. Signing Batista and promoting him as a real MMA athlete will do nothing but hurt the sports image and integrity.

And if you do that Scott Coker, then dammit you’re no better than EliteXC and I hope your business fails.

• elsicilian says:

Premier collegiate wrestlers (like Lesnar) have been seamlessly transitioning to MMA since its inception. In fact, guys like Dan Severn, Mark Coleman, Matt Hughes, and Randy Couture have thoroughly validated that model with hall-of-fame careers.

Suggesting that Batista’s WWE resume makes him comparable to Brock Lesnar (despite the former’s total lack of combat sport experience and the latter’s NCAA Championship) completely misrepresents that fundamental reality. Scott Coker certainly knows better; he is being totally disingenuous in the hopes of fooling casual observers (who *don’t* know any better) into believing a pre-marketed combat neophyte can actually be a serious cagefighter (a la Kimbo Slice).

Calling out the Strikeforce CEO for such blatant hucksterism is completely valid … dismissing valid criticism as “hating” is not only inaccurate; it’s pretty much mindless.

• bigbadjohn says:

No doubt about that Dufresne, so true about Kornheiser. And to boot he’s a like a boxing encyclopedia. How much more barbaric is letting a dazed man return to his feet to trade punches again than a submission, or a ground n pound TKO. I’m getting side-tracked. If this fight headlines a cable network event, it will be another hit below the belt to MMA. Mainstream media can barely comprehend a league where an ex WWE star is champion to start with, let alone one with no combat training background or any evidence of incredible athleticism to draw from. Batista makes a mockery of it all. Don’t tell me he’s been practicing muay thai or jiu jitsu, maybe he has, but not nearly enough for a professional mixed martial artist.

I shiver as I imagine millions of people tuned in to “Strikeforce: Batista vs. (some jobber)”; Batista pounds out a smaller, barely qualified, hand-picked opponent and the crowd goes wild. Many mainstream critics will have had their final straw and finally equate MMA of Professional wrestling caliber.

And remember, that’s Canseco, Walker, and Batista now, plus about a hundred others who have been given high profile fights in our sport. Don’t think it will stop there, if the Batista thing goes off without a hitch, well… when it rains it pours. Please don’t tarnish our sport’s image anymore Mr. Promoter, it’s a young sport with so much potential.

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

This guy will end up like the Polish strongman and be so gassed half way into first round that he won’t be able to do much.

If they are going to sign an aging pro wrestler to a contract I wish it would have been Kurt Angle who at least has a legit wrestling background so there could be the chance that he could compete in MMA.

Batista is a joke but, maybe if Coker is smart he will put him against Bobby Lashley. All he is doing is trying to get crossover fans and might as well go for broke.

As much as people want to yell and scream about freak show fight and Strikeforce sucks and so on, If you put Batista/Lashley on CBS and do a bit of promotion they could bring in a good deal of crossover fans just to see which one of the former WWE fans favorites really is a bigger bad ass.

I’ve said it before and I’ll keep saying it if one of those wrestling fans turns into an MMA fan and spends their money on PPV/ merchandise etc that can never be a bad thing. Same thing with James Toney and boxing.

MMA is a growing sport and whatever it takes to draw in more fans who will appreciate that these guys bust their ass to put on a show for the fans the better. Freak show or not.

Side note: how about there co promotion buddies M-1 closing there HQ offices today?! There in panic mode cause they know they don’t have as much negotiating power any more or cash coming in… Big investors have pulled out of M-1…it’s funny shit… Once again M-1 will be the demise of another promotion it’s doing business with… Fucking leeches, but you know what it’s all Cokers fault.Dawn84 I’m strictly talking about SF… I refuse to accept that piece of shit company as our #2 promotion in north America !! That’s retarded, they are a dysfunctional promotion that is simply stagnant and broke…

Side note: word is SF’s co promotion buddies M-1 closing there HQ offices today?! There in panic mode cause they know they don’t have as much negotiating power any more or cash coming in… Big investors have pulled out of M-1…it’s funny shit… Once again M-1 will be the demise of another promotion it’s doing business with… Fucking leeches, but you know what it’s all Cokers fault.

Oooopppsss?! Sry folks…my IPhones’ gone mad.

• danw84 says:

I don’t know the relationship, but I’m not entirely sold that SF and M-1 are “buddies.” Was a necessary evil to get basically the 1 thing that UFC wanted and didn’t have.

You don’t have to say Strikeforce is number 2. They might not even be. How are WEC numbers compared to theirs? I’m actually asking, but I also don’t know if WEC really counts as its own promotion anymore. Maybe it does and it doesn’t? Bellator is awesome too, but I don’t know how popular it is. Talent wise it could probably be called #2.

But, you really can’t argue that Strikeforce isn’t #2 based alone on name recognition. You’re smart enough to know who funds MMA, and it isn’t us on one of the smaller MMA blogs because we like the actual conversation. It’s the guys who have no idea why Fedor is (or was, whatever your opinion) the best heavyweight fighter ever other than because Strikeforce told them he is. They’re the guys who KNOW that Anderson Silva is the P4P best in the world because Dana told them so. You know what I’m getting at.

Anyway, my major point is that as long as Strikeforce doesn’t give Batista some sort of absolute can (which they will) and then also say Batista is amazing, then what’s the problem? They SHOULD put him against Lashley. Lashley isn’t a bad fighter, would kill Batista, and they could easily market it as “REAL WWE” kind of thing. It would get a lot of viewers.

• LiverPunch says:

Poor Rece. He has to put up with SF.
    Rece you are completely unreasonable when it comes to SF. You attack everything they do and I mean everything. That, my friend makes anything you say invalid as far as I’m concerned. 99.999999999999% of anything to do with SF and you are one of, if not the first person commenting and it is always and I mean always, negative. SF is NOT always bad which means you are just full of shit. If you don’t want to watch this dude fight do what I do and don’t watch it. Just like I never watched Kimbo, Baroni, Hershel and Sapp unless it I am bored and don’t have to pay, actually I have changed channels during Kimbo’s fight on PPV before.

“Once again M-1 will be the demise of another promotion it’s doing business with…”

WTF? when have th been the demise of any company they negotiate with?. Don’t say Pride or Affliction because you know that isn’t true. Pride’s demise had more to do with Yakuza connections and bad management and the UFC bought cheaply promising to keep it going and shut it down. Affliction was on the way out and then Barnett got busted for steroids, which was the straw that broke the camels back. Hmmm so what about Bodog?

“The most telling sign of the downfall of Bodog Fight must have been the ION television deal that Bodog lost. That was really the only way that American fans were able to follow the organization”

no can’t be them…ahh I know what it is…you ARE full of shit. If you are going to take a dislike to an organization, at least do it based on facts. Otherwise you are nothing but foolish. You give yourself away by being so happy when you hear bad news for SF or M1. What did they do to you besides being in comp with your fav MMA org?.

“Side note: how about there co promotion buddies M-1 closing there HQ offices today?! There in panic mode cause they know they don’t have as much negotiating power any more or cash coming in”

How the fuck do you know?. You don’t know why but try to put a negative spin on it. I”l tell you why they closed, plumbing problems. Wow it is easy to just make shit up, I can see why you guys do it to knock companies orgs and fighters who are not in the UFC. Keep up the good work.

Liverpunch you should try getting MMA news from more than one resource & then the things you think I make up might just be old news to you instead… I love 5oz but breaking news is not there specialty…so I get my mma content from probably about doz. Or so sources on the web & I know everything on the internet isn’t true but when 2 or 3 websites are running similar stories it’s pretty safe to assume there is some truth to the articles.
    Liver me n you probably don’t see eye to eye on most stories but that’s fine, that’s the whole point of commenting…I think your right on somethings and very wrong on others and I know you feel the same way about my posts. So in the sake of keeping it interesting, keep doing what you do & I’ll keep doing what I do… Cause at the end of the day who cares ?! It’s an mma comment board not a federal court…in other words it’s not that serious.

• Dufresne says:

I miss when SF first came out and they were signing great talent and making good, sensible matches. I don’t really care about their business practices as long as they don’t directly interfere or negatively affect the credibility of MMA or the progress of the sport.

MMA is bigger than any single organization, yes even bigger than the UFC and SF combined. There are literally thousands of fighters, coaches, trainers, managers, etc (MMA news writers) that make at least part of their living off of this sport. When you’re in one of the most visible promotions and you’re the top dog in that promotion you have a lot of power in the MMA world. You have a responsibility to all of the people working in or with this sport to not undermine it. If you want to put on a freakshow, that’s fine. But call it what it is. Don’t mislead potentially new fans, mainstream media, and even sponsors by trying to pass it off as a serious, legitimate event. All you do when you do that is hurt the sport and directly take money out of potentially thousands of people’s pockets.

• metalmulisha says:

Anyone getting upset about this might want to take a step back and rethink why it’s going to happen. Money. Which either you make as a MMA promotion or you go the way of the IFL.

I’m also be interested in honestly seeing who’s getting upset at Scott Coker’s spin on this matter while at the same time these same people eat up all of the Bullshit that comes out of Dana White mouth and hope for more.

• Dufresne says:

I’m not upset about them making money. I’m upset about Coker is trying to pass this off as anything more than a publicity stunt and money making attempt. I’m all for him getting publicity and money, but don’t call a freakshow a legitimate threat in MMA, that just undermines all the real MMA fighters that have busted their asses for years to get where they are.

As for Dana, I don’t remember him ever promoting a 40+ year old with no combat experience as a potential MMA star. The only circus show I remember him signing in the recent past is Toney, and at least Toney has several DECADES of elite level boxing under his belt.

• danw84 says:

I really don’t see where Coker said Batista is going to be a good fighter or a threat.

His best compliment was just bringing up Lesnar and using Batista in the same sentence saying “Why not him too?” Do you think Coker should say “Hey this dude we’re bringing in will be the worst ever”? It will be pretty obvious why not him too after he fights, but that doesn’t mean Coker should be negative.

Some of you are too worried about this kind of thing. You know that argument a lot of people make to people against MMA, “Don’t watch it”? Try that if you’ve got an issue with something.

• elsicilian says:

Personally, I am not upset at all – nor am I trying to make any sort of sweeping generalizations about Coker, Strikeforce, the UFC or MMA in general. Coker simply said something stupid, which falsely legitimates his potential fighter while it unfairly disparages Lesnar’s actual qualifications.

When *anybody* says something so blatantly disingenuous (whether it is Coker, Dana, Bud Selig or the President of the USA), I feel obliged to point it out. That’s all.

• metalmulisha says:

Dufresne what are you talking about? Whoever said Dana’s promoted a 40+ year old guy with no combat experience? No one on here I see. I guess you created that in your mind.

My whole point was certain mma fans (like yourself obviously) ignore Dana White’s B.S. and spin on topics but when Scott Coker does it there’s outrage.

There are many other things to get upset about than another pro wrestler getting involved in the sport.

• danw84 says:

I don’t get why anybody is getting upset about anything.

Until someone is taking away our MMA, what’s to be upset about? More fights to watch? Damn!

• KTru says:

*yawn* I regret opening up this story, non MMA Jargon

• Dufresne says:

metal, maybe you should try re-reading my post and checking the facts. Batista is 41, has no combat martial arts training at all, and is being promoted by the president of a large MMA orginization as a potential MMA fighter. I simply pointed out that neither Dana nor the UFC has ever done something on a similar scale to promote hype. Yes, Dana does spit out a kot of spin and hype about all sorts of things, but as far back as I can remember he has never suggested that someone with no MMA experience, much less no martial arts/wrestling experience period, could jump right into MMA with minimal training at a recognized gym. Just because you can’t notice an obvious comparison doesn’t mean that I made anything up in my mind.

I’ve never jumped on one side or the other for or against SF or the UFC or for either of their publicity machines. I don’t believe everything either of them put out and have called BS on both of them very often. So before you go accusing people of mindlessly accepting something someone says while becoming upset about something else simply because of who said it, maybe you should reconsider.

• moosebaby02 says:

liver you shouldnt throw rocks when living in a glass house. maybe you should practice what you preach

• moosebaby02 says:

and as for Croker and this crap just dont watch. IM NOT
    What gets me pissed is the fact the Croker is thinking…….and im not joking cause i heard the interview and read it on number of sources as well that he is actually really thinking about given a title shot to Fedor aginst Overeem……..now i made a joke about it eailer before but fucks sakes. give me a fight to lose and then a title shot???????
    you all who are pissed at SF be pissed at that.

• gstringwife says:

Looks like strykforce will be out of business soon 41 year old Babtista and splitting profits with M1 Global whats next

• Guthookd says:

I could care less about this guy, but I’ll tell you one thing…if someone smashes his face in I want to see it. Period.

I could also care less about the credibility of SF, MMA, Scott Coker, Deedubya, any boxing comentators that might be hating, ratings in general, all casual fans, nearly every hardcore fan, CBS, Shotime, world hunger, and just about everything else you can think of….so fuck it.

I just want to see two guys who are evenly matched come to the center of the cage and try to beat the shit out of the other guy any way they can.