Six fighters earn 75K bonuses at UFC 116

UFC 116 took place at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. In a night that delivered on all fronts, Zuffa has announced post fight bonuses for the event. Each bonus was worth 75 thousand dollars to the recipients.

Submission of the night went to the UFC Heavyweight Champion Brock Lesnar who weathered an early storm before securing a fight ending arm-triangle choke.

Knockout of the night went to Gerald Harris. Harris fought on the nights preliminary card and defeated Dave Branch via Knockout from a vicious slam that immediately rendered Branch unconscious.

Fight of the night honors went to a pair of fights. Stephan Bonnar, Krzysztof Soszynski, Chris Leben and Yoshihiro Akiyama each earned $75,000 fight-night bonuses for their performances .

Leben and Akiyama battled for the better portion of 3 rounds, prior to Leben scoring the victory by Triangle choke with only :14 seconds left in the bout. A true gem that might have netted Leben FOTN and Sub of the night under other circumstances.

Soszynski and Bonnar, were awarded a second “Fight of the Night” bonus . This fight a rematch of their UFC 110 meeting. With Bonner pulling out the victory by 3rd round TKO in a fight that saw the UFC vet battered and cut up for the majority of the contest.

• Rich S. says:

Nice!

I knew they weren’t going to be able to select just ONE Fight of the Night…

• Dufresne says:

Wow, can’t believe they gave out two FotN honors (both well deserved) but didn’t give out two SotN’s. Lesnar’s sub had more impact on his division since it was in a title fight, but Lytle’s reverse triangle +straight arm bar was more technically impressive.

• Angry Mike says:

Lytle’s was sub of the night, and Leben’s sub of an accomplished ground fighter was a close second. Lesnar’s choke of Carwin was more about Carwin’s gas tank than Lesnar’s submission. Lesnar should’ve gotten a bonus just for acting like a professional rather than a horse’s ass. Positive reinforcement.

• jcash says:

It was really cool to see the emotion boiling over in bonnar and lebens fights. Both guys were so deserving of the outcome and will continue to be earning the money we all spend on future events!

• bigbadjohn says:

Lytle had the most impressive submission, technically. But given the circumstances, Lesnars was quite profound. After being in the most defensive position in his career, and after a 10 to 8 round, to come back and get the takedown and finish the fight with your first attempted submission is divine.This bonus when seen in context, is warranted.

• jcash says:

i agree John the fact that oddmakers everywhere had this fight ending by tko or ko warrants the fact that lesnar deserves this award. Hats off to Lytle as well, that was textbook.

• LiverPunch says:

So Carwin gets $40,000. Wow what a rip off. Seriously he busts his ass for months training, gets in the ring and puts his career and body on the line and the UFC gives him $40,000 for “the biggest HW fight in UFC history” where the UFC made multi, multi millions.
    Fair? F#CK NO!.
    I would have given it to Leben vs Akiyama only for the FOTN and Lytle for SOTN. The only one I agree with is Harris’s KO slam for the KO of the night.

The reason carwin only made 40g was that he wasn’t a huge draw up until his last 2 matches… I’m sure if they do 800,000 to 1M buyrates he’ll get a bigger purse. Not for nothing these guys have contracts and if you enter a promo at one level and then while under contract you take it to the next level in your career it’s up to your mgmt to fight for more and renogotiate. Why would your employer say oh screw the contract here’s more cash?! It’s business !! If q future star in baseball came up from the minors with a little potential and got a 2 yr contract for a million a year for his services and midway through the contract the kid becomes the next Derek jeter, the team isn’t going to just put a little something extra in his paycheck, there going to negotiate when his contract is up and probably pay him what he deserves going forward..Brock had proof of ppv value (wwe) and I’m sure his handlers went in right off the bat and said your paying this guy top dollar and here’s why…
    If carwin has decent mgmt they will negotiate and get carwin a better purse going forward.

• JBAR says:

I would say Leben’s sub was the most impressive to me based on who he tapped and the fact that Chris is not known as a ground fighter.

• Dr. Sardonicus says:

Angry Mike says:
    July 4, 2010 at 2:07 am
    (QUOTE)Lytle’s was sub of the night, and Leben’s sub of an accomplished ground fighter was a close second. Lesnar’s choke of Carwin was more about Carwin’s gas tank than Lesnar’s submission(END QUOTE)

I couldn’t agree more.
    ============================================
    (QUOTE). Lesnar should’ve gotten a bonus just for acting like a professional rather than a horse’s ass. Positive reinforcement(END QUOTE)

Ha ha ha! I was also surprised at Lesnar’s civility after the fight. I hope it lasts.

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

Carwin needs a few more fights before he draws the big money. If the main even would have been Carwin v. Cain or JDS would the buzz still be there except from hardcore fans? Prolly not. I bet he like most fighters have some sort of clause that a bonus is paid depending on PPV sales if you main or co main event a card.

I look foward to seeing Carwin back even if I am a Lesnar fan. Dude is a class act just didn’t have what it takes to beat Brock.

Carwin v. JDS would be a very good fight as both guys love to bang.

Always been a Chris Leben fan ever since he was on TUF and I have even more respect for him after winning against two tough guys in a 2 week period and getting FTON and KO bonuses.
    If he gets Wandi wouldn’t shock be to see that be FOTN either as neither guy stops trying to KO their opponent.

• hindsightufuk says:

cant take anything away from Brock but it’s bullshit not giving the SOTN to Chris Lyttle. Beautiful positioning, not many fighters are accomplished enough to even recognize the top side triangle (Akiyama didnt). It really is a bullshit call
    Beautifull pure BJJ versus brute force choke? bollocks. again take nothing away from Brock, i was impressed he pulled off the choke, but lets not tug on his willy too hard eh?

• primetime says:

Carwin only got $40,000 ? Where can I go to see the salaries ?

• Dufresne says:

I understand why you’re pissed about Carwin’s salary, but as Reece said, he’s getting paid what he was contracted for. When his contract is up he can renegotiate, most likely for a higher salary.

And hell, for “only $40,000” I’ll bust my ass and let someone punch me in the face. I’d let Carwin punch me in the face a couple of times for 40 grand, especially if I can pull that two or three times a year. He’s not a surgeon or someone working for world peace. He’s an athlete. I think people are forgetting how overpaid most athletes are. Is Alex Rodriguez really worth 27.5 million a year? Is he really doing that much for the general public and the world at large that he warrants that kind of money? Absolutely not. But the Yankees can afford to pay him that, it keeps him off another teams roster, and he increases jersey and ticket sales. The UFC doesn’t have to worry as much about another organization stealing their talent and they don’t have near the bankroll that the big ball clubs do, so they pay people less. Hell, Brock supposedly has one of the biggest contracts with the UFC and he’s making just over the minimum salary of an MLB player per fight. Even if he has 3 fights a year he’s still pulling in less than half the average baseball player’s salary.

I love that we hear this kind of outrage over an entertainer’s income, and don’t lie to yourself all athletes are entertainers, but we don’t hear anything of the sort over educators, soldiers, police officers, or any of the other jobs that we could literally not do without.

• king mah mah says:

Lytle got screwed! Period. There is no argument for giving submission of the night to Brock.

• LiverPunch says:

Would you let someone take advantage of you really?. That is just dumb. The UFC is making a lot of money off him and you are trying to say that is cool. Listen if you are fine with being used great, just as long as you know that is what would be going down. Somebody would be making a lot of money off your blood and sweat. while you have to risk your career and lie in the ring whilst forking out for trainers and the rest of of what goes along with being a pro MMA star. OK your fine with it guys but I bet Dana and his mates are f#cking ecstatic.

• LiverPunch says:

life not lie

• Dufresne says:

Everyone is being used everyday. That’s how the world works. You trade your work, time, health etc for a paycheck. Just because you don’t want to acknowledge it doesn’t mean it’s not happening.

If your so worried about all the poor fighters not making enough cash then start a non profit and send them an additional check everytime they fight, cause bitchin about it doesn’t make them any wealthier…I hope if you ever open a business you’ll be so concerned about paying your staff top dollar that you won’t worry about profits or growing and expanding your business cause that would make too much sense… Hmm maybe if SF didn’t get into such shitty contract conditions with there stars they could afford to have some better marketing and adverstising campaigns and maybe more ppl would recognize there brand.

• LiverPunch says:

Who is not acknowledging what?. What a load of shit.

“You trade your work, time, health etc for a paycheck”

Wow thanks for the insight there. People who generate millions like Carwin did do not get paid so little very often if ever and you know it dude.He is a victim of his contract and I think you know that also. If you think that what Carwin got is fair, you are delusional.

Rece Rock WTF are you talking about? You lost me with “if your”. I sort of skipped the rest but if I know you and I bet you found some way of attacking SF right?. I also know that there is no way in hell that you would be defending SF in the same manner you are defending the UFC here.

Haha… your nuts. The only delusional person around here is you my friend.

Carwins a victim? Really? Yes I feel terrible for him and his success…?

I defend UFC and BFC because they provide a quality product that I have no problem being a consumer of… SF on the other hand is there disfunctional counterpart. SF management reminds me of the Bush administration…just can’t do anything right, and ppl are just waiting for them to just go away.

In the future If you “skipped the rest” then don’t comment on my shit…

• Dufresne says:

“People who generate millions like Carwin did do not get paid so little very often if ever and you know it dude.”

President of the USA – $400k base + $50k expense + $100k travel + $19k entertainment = $569k

VP for USA – $227,300
    Same for Chief Justice and Speaker of the House

Congressmen- $174-193,400

And let’s not forget that MMA is less than 2 decades old. As far as sports go it is VERY young. And even for the older sports salaries were substantially smaller until the last couple of decades as well. It was common for most professional athletes to have to supplement their income by having at least one other job for the entire first half of the century and it continues to this day in all but the top level professional leagues (MLB, NBA, NFL).
    The UFC does make a lot of money, and ZUFFA has a ton all by itself. But the reality of it is that they don’t make anything near like most major sports promotions. They don’t even come close to pulling in the same as some of the major sports TEAMS.

You can get as upset as you want, but the facts remain: MMA is young and even though the UFC is the biggest and almost certainly the wealthiest, they don’t have the money to pay everyone $500k; when a fighter signs a contract it is a legally binding agreement, fair or not; fighters aren’t the only people that have to be paid. Fighters may be the most visible, but you’re forgetting the legal teams, TV production teams, commentators, the teams that put together a live show, all the secretaries, etc… The list goes on and on. I’m willing to bet that for every fighter the UFC has contracted they have at least 25 other employees that they have to pay for their work.

And I stand behind one of my original points: athletes are way over paid. $40k is more than the vast majority of citizens in the U.S.A. make each year. Carwin has already made that twice this year, plus his KO of the night over Mir a few months ago. Yeah he’s gotta pay for trainers, but you know he’s also getting at least a discount by helping train and teach at the gym. You’re gonna have to do a lot of talking to convince me he’s hurting for money.

Im sure some one will try but theres no sensible rebuttal to Dufresne comments- and that’s because the comments are right on the money.

• king mah mah says:

@Dufresne- I agree with a lot of what you said, but comparing Carwin’s salary to the President of the United States is a little silly.

Every president has lifetime security, lifetime medical benefits for the family, and a lifetime income. It’s not really fair to point out just the base salary is all I’m saying. Peace.

• king mah mah says:

• king mah mah says:

@Rece Rock- Get your tongue out of Dufresne’s asshole and come up for some air!!!

Blllaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh!!!

• Dufresne says:

“P.S. They could have at least doubled Carwin’s to 80,000 or 160,000 for winning. I mean it was the main event for Christ’s sake!!”

I would be perfectly okay with them doing this. I think it makes good sense that if a fighter makes below X amount of dollars (I suggest X=50k, no reason to double Lesnar’s 400k) they should get no win bonus, but have their base salary doubled just for being in a main event or title fight. If they make more than X, no double, but a win bonus is still available if it’s stipulated in the contract.
    I don’t know if they would want to do that for the free shows on SPIKE or VS, but otherwise I think it’d be a great motivating force for fighters to up their game and entertainment value. Guaranteed money for being the big event.

@ Queen mah mah:

there’s a fucking contract in place for a reason- you retard.

and as I stated previously in other posts DW said he was cutting additional checks for most of the fighters sooo Carwin probably took home additional compensation. Do some research you fucking hand job.

Keep your anal pleasures to your self… a lot of truth is said in jest so I’m assuming you enjoy thinking about men eating ass…Fucking dirtbag keep your dirty perversions between you and the gimp you have tied up in the basement.

• king mah mah says:

@Rece Rock- Didn’t mean to hurt your feelings sweetie. I’m sorry.

Only thing sweet around here is you my lil’ buttercup…
    Save your sorries for your friends & family I’m sure they need them more then me.
    ; )