Brock Lesnar survives beating to strangle Shane Carwin at UFC 116

Brock Lesnar stands alone in the heavyweight division as the most dominant big man the sport has to offer.

Brock Lesnar took his position at the top of the heavyweight mountain this evening with a second round submission over the previously undefeated Shane Carwin.

The highly anticipated heavyweight title unification bout that took place during one of the greatest cards the sport has produced to date, UFC 116 from the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, will go down as as one of the greatest heavyweight contests in the history of mixed martial arts.

A monstrous uppercut from Carwin had Lesnar in a world of hurt early in the first round. Carwin swarmed his fallen prey with a vicious series of punches and elbows on the canvas for the duration of the first round but Lesnar, showing the true heart of a champion, absorbed all of it and managed to work back to his feet by the time the round came to an end.

The enormous amount of physical energy spent by Carwin in the first round in an attempt to stop the enormous former WWE superstar seemed to take it’s toll on the massive challenger, as Lesnar scored a takedown early in the second and transitioned to the fight ending side choke that forced the tap just before Carwin faded into unconscious-ville.

Chris Leben and Yoshihiro Akiyama threw their name into the hat for “Fight of the Night” honors with a back-and-forth war that had the capacity crowd on their feet from beginning to end. Akiyama began to pull away on the points utilizing slick judo takedowns and top control for the bulk of the first two rounds between the two before Leben caught “Sexyama” in a picture perfect come from behind triangle late in the third and final round.

Leben, who is currently riding an impressive three-fight win streak in the UFC, made no secret as to who he want to face off with next in the middleweight division.

“I want Wanderlei,” said Leben following his second victory in less than a month. “Wanderlei was supposed to have this fight; I’ll take him next.

“I’ll take you out to Wanderlei.”

Also making a valid claim for a “FOTN” bonus were light-heavyweights Stephan Bonnar and Krzysztof Soszynski, who attempted to severely harm one another with their fists, elbows and legs for every moment of their highly anticipated rematch this evening. A battered Bonnar came out in the second round on a mission and eventually dropped “The Polish Experiment” with brutal knee to the chin in the clinch three minutes into the second round for the TKO victory.

“I’ve spilt pints and pints of blood for you guys over the years and I’ve thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it,” said Bonnar following the victory.

Chris Lytle stands an extremely good chance of earning his fifth consecutive bonus check as the dazzling reverse triangle/straight armbar the Indiana firefighter slapped on Matt Brown had “Submission of the Night” written all over it.

UFC 116 was the type of event that all events will be measured against from this day forward.

• gy614x says:

ahh i posted what i needed to in the live results.

Cain by TKO in round one, Lesnars roll up in a ball defense wont help him there, and i dont think he’ll take Cain down.

i guess i do have to give Brock credit on the win….. seemed humbled a bit after Carwin mauled him in the first

• mu_shin says:

Kudos to the UFC Heavyweight Champion, Brock Lesnar.

Can’t see how anyone could say this guy does not deserve to be where he is, after the beating he took from Shane Carwin in round one. He survived, taking some big shots, and came back to prove he’s been continuing to learn up there in Minnesota, using a powerful choke to shut down Carwin. A submission victory against the heaviest striker the UFC has ever seen confirms Lesnar’s place atop the heavyweight division, and sets up another great match-up with Cain Velasquez. Cain better be eating his Wheaties…

• Dufresne says:

That card was simply amazing. I was expecting some pretty entertaining fights just from looking at it on paper, but I was blown away by the quality of fights. I really can’t think of a single one of the fights that was a snoozefest.

Lytle definitely deserves Sub of the Night for that slick little piece of work. There were some other impressive submissions, but that was by far the most technical.

While Bonnar and Soszynski put on a hell of a show, I still have to give the FotN honors to Leben and Akiyama. The first round was pretty good, the second round had me yelling at the TV, and the third had me on my feet yelling at the TV and then applauding. Before, and even during the fight, I was talking about how if Leben ended up on his back he was going to get submitted. Guess I was wrong there. He tried for at least 2 armbars, fought out of an armbar himself, and then secured a triangle with less than thirty seconds to spare in the 3rd. I also never game Akiyama a chance on the feet, and he nearly KO’d Leben. They were both just nailing each other standing, I’m amazed one of them didn’t go to sleep in the second.

Lesnar v Carwin… Not much I can really say. It showed that Lesnar can take a better shot than Gonzaga or Mir and that Lesnar has better takedowns and cardio than Carwin, but I think pretty much everyone could have told you that going into the fight. Carwin proved that his standup is still way ahead of Lesnar’s, but again, we all knew that already. The only real surprises were that Lesnar went for the arm triangle when he finally got the mount instead of going for the GnP like I expected, and that he was a humble and thankful in his post-fight interview.

• dpk says:

Great night of fights from start to finish. I thought Lytle should get sub of the night.

Brock faced some serious adversity and came back from it. It will be interesting to see where Carwin goes from here, 1 or 2 fights and he could be right back at the front of the line. Hopefully Brock doesn’t take too long off, maybe they can make the Velasquez fight for October.

I think UFC could realistically make Sotoropolis v Dunham for a title shot; After the Florian v Maynard winner.

Leben v Wandy will be awesome.

• brocksucks says:

Does anyone else think this was rigged. I have never seen anyone flop on their back like that and wait for the submission, especially for the title…in the second round. This is crap. I wouldnt put it past Dana White. He makes way more money off Lesnar than Carwin. What an embarrassment.

• RicM says:

Brocksucks, are you a full-blown crackhead?? Are you really that bitter that you would think Carwin would throw a fight for the title?? Grow the fuck up you complete fuckin’ idiot!!!

• Dufresne says:

Yeah, I’m not convinced of Cain’s prospects in his title shot to be honest. I’m a big fan of Cain, but you know Carwin hits harder than Cain does, and Carwin couldn’t put him away. You can criticize Brock’s defenses off his back in this fight if you want, but the end result was that he didn’t take enough damage to stop the fight and that he was still able minded enough to get the victory in the second round.

Lesnar is also over 20 pounds heavier than Cain, not to mention that Lesnar has far superior wrestling credentials. Those two added together mean that Cain is most likely going to end up on his back at some point, and if Lesnar’s submission game gets as dangerous as his GnP I can’t really see any of the UFC heavyweights surviving off their backs against him.

I really do like Cain, and I really don’t think he’s even hit his full stride yet, but the size and strength differences really favor Brock when they fight (hopefully) later this year.

• Dufresne says:

brocksucks is probably related to that dimwit that thinks that the Russians rigged Fedor’s loss to pull in the Rubles. They’re just pissed that the guy they obviously hate won, and they have no real arguments for why so they blow complete bullshit out and hope that folks will fall for it. Really pathetic.

• RicM says:

Amen,Dufresne,amen…….

• Lethal Liquid says:

Yes tonight was action pack. It was like if RockyI-IV were slammed into one 3 hour flick. Thoroughly satisfying

• Rich S. says:

That was an incredible card!

Where do I begin?

1. Thank God for the sudden change in judging. One of the biggest problems in determining the winner of a fight has been the confusion between who is in control when on the ground. Tonight, we saw TWO separate fights in which the winner was not determined by takedowns and being on top, yet by control and damage from the bottom (Sotiro/Pellegrino and Grove/Reljic). Pellegrino got three takedowns on George if I remember correctly, but was wrapped up immediately on the ground every time and left neutralized. Reljic scored all of the takedowns on Grove, yet was battered with punches and elbows from the bottom. I pray that we see this kind of judging more often because it has been a big problem for quite some time now.

2. HOLY CRAP STEPHAN BONNAR! Stephan used to be a favorite of mine. I always thought he was so well rounded and looked great in winning every time. But, after so long, I found that it was just too painful to keep watching him lose and lose and lose. Tonight, his performance was incredible in more ways than one. A: he showed solid striking with significant power, B: He showed that he has the aggression and heart to keep fighting no matter what he’s put through in life or the octagon, and C: he has one hell of a chin. My God, I thought he was out on his feet a couple times but he fought back to win the most dramatic finish of his entire career. I was seconds from crying after I saw him walk away from K-Sos, bloodied and smiling.

3. I’ve said it a thousand times and I’ll say it a thousand more. If Chris Lytle would come out and shoot in for a takedown, all of his fights would end in the first round! His Jiu Jitsu is simply on another level than that of most of the guys in this division, and I think he solidified that with that beautiful inverted triangle-straight armbar tonight, the same one he pulled on Gilliam a few years back. I know he likes to slug it out, but it’s safer, and more effective to submit your opponents, and I think soon, he’ll find those SOTN awards just as appealing as the FOTN’s..

4. Chris Leben is one crazy bastard! I can’t even start this without commending Akiyama for his chin. In true, legendary Japanese fashion, he withstood all of Leben’s power. I still can’t think of a single opponent that has EVER been hit that flush and that often by Leben, and not been added to his Highlight Reel. And what about those shots he tagged Leben with? Leben’s legs literally weren’t working they way he wanted them to, but somehow, SOMEHOW he was able to stay standing and keep getting hit and giving hits. That’s a true testament to Anderson Silva’s power when you think about it. Absolutely amazing performance from both fighters and a beautiful submission by Leben. I knew he had good Jiu Jitsu but I didn’t even consider him submitting who I thought was the better ground fighter, Akiyama.

5. Nice main event. Of all the the scenarios I ran through my head, of how this fight would go, for some reason, that wasn’t one of them. Job well done by Carwin in letting us all know that Lesnar is human. But, an even better job by Brock in proving to us all again that he’s pretty much invincible. And now, there’s no denying he’s a true mixed martial artist, he’s going home with a submission victory under his belt.

• Rich S. says:

And Dufresne, you pretty much said my feelings exactly on Velasquez vs. Lesnar.

It’s Ok to be a fan of Cain, but you’re delusional if you think he’s going to knock Lesnar out in the first round, or dominate him in the wrestling.

I’ve been surprised before, but I would say both of those scenarios are pretty close to impossible.

• gstringwife says:

Like Ive said on ever chat board on this sight Brock will be the baddest guy on the Planet.

All around great fight tonight one of the best fight nights Ive seen in years

• bigbadjohn says:

A true champion. Fuck the brock haters

• twyg says:

I’m going to rip off bill simmions from espn and give Brock a big high five for using the same strategy as rocky balboa did in the second fight with clubber lang in Rocky 3. I said it before on the live results thread that Cain has no chance of beating Brock; hell I don’t see a HW out there anywhere that can beat him right now. No one punches harder then Carwin, and I don’t think anyone else could have taken that beating that Brock took. The king is dead(Fedor), long live the king(Brock).

• Brock does like to get hit hard. Cain is better on his feet than brock, moves better and is a very good wrestler himself. I don’t see Cain having the power though nor the knockout power like Carwin. Brock will win another unless Cain can pick brock apart on feet which after watching tonight I could see being possible. I am looking forward to that fight as well.

Sweet night of fights UFC. Chris Leban deserves Mo Money.

• bigbadjohn says:

The Dark Lord Returns

• Angry Mike says:

“Once the fight hits the ground with Lesnar in top position, it’s over.” “Lesnar will win by ko or tko in the first or second round.” And I got so many thumbs down that it was blocked. Tsk, tsk, tsk.

• jcash says:

true class shown by both guys after the fight I’m a Brock fan but you gotta love how candid Carwin was after the fight lol! best of luck in your next fight Shane!

• BigDave says:

It’s amazing that I am right so many times. Again I will boost that i called both the main fights just as i called fedor getting beat.Brock is a beast and proved he can take a beating, but now he gets the opertunaty to get destroyed by the soon to be the #1 hw on the planet Cain Velasquez.

• LiverPunch says:

I picked all the winners except Leben. Who, I might add, looked very impressive. He still has the odd sloppy windmill or telegraphed punch but he is getting better. As for Carwin, although he nearly took Lesnar out within the first couple of minutes I feel somewhat vindicated for saying that if he doesn’t KO you in the first few minutes what has he got?. Once gassed and unable to deliver that decisive KO blow within the first rd he was spent and out of options. I would still like to see more of him against class opponents because there are still questions, what else does Carwin have?. I will be interested in seeing who he fights next. As for Lesnar vs Valasquez, I think that will be a great fight. I am not sure if Valasquez is the 2nd best HW in the UFC but it is a great match up. I think Cain can win via dec but will struggle to put Lesnar away I think.

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

Funny how the second someone whose nuts ppl were firmly hugging loses the next person in line becomes their new messiah.

Brock showed why he is champion. Carwin only had one plan and when that didn’t work he was out of ideas. Against lesser opponents who aren’t named Lesnar that works fine, but Brock took the best he had to offer and survived.

After the initial flurry of punches it was clear Carwin was slowing down and his punches were hitting mostly arm and wrist or just glancing blows. I’m sure that any other person would have gone to sleep.

Carwin will be back after he works on cardio and maybe a rematch is in the future.

FOTN should goto Leben/Akiyama. I was thinking there in middle of round 2 when both guys were eating lots of punches it was gonna be like Rocky II where both men KO the other and the winner struggles to his feet at last second. Leben v. Wandi would be sick. Both guys want to leave it all in the cage and swing from their heels.

This was a great card top to bottom and it was good to see Brock back in action. Hopefully it wont be another year before we see him and Cain.

• JabCrossHook says:

Shane Carwin just made a gameplan mistake. After the first few GnP shots he should’ve let Brock stand and soften him up on the feet more instead of wasting a lot energy trying to remain in top position against brock, and teeing off with GnP shots that weren’t even landing that flush most of the time. Brock was lucky.

• hindsightufuk says:

i started the event watching the prelims thinking why the fuck are these chumps on the undercard as an appertizer for what was predicted to be one of the biggest ppv’s in UFC history
    I still dont understand why Petruzelli/Romero & Schaub/Tuchscherer would be allowed on a UFC ppv EVER. They shouldnt even be on the undercard of a fight night. They were as sloppy and ameteurish as an episode of TUF. Even Harris/Branch was fucking dull until the knockout. I can only imagine how bad the other undercard fights were.
    But then it turned a decent night of entertainment.
    George and Kurt went for it, some nice grappling by both. Rich S, totally agree with you about the judging, i was thinking exactly the same while watching the fights.
    too many times fights seem to be decided on whether there is a take down, regardless of what happens once the fight IS down.
    Chris Lyttle is fucking awesome and finally come to his senses about how to plan for his fights. His stand up brawls are entertaining, but his BJJ is getting him places he hasnt been for a while.
    I wasnt a fan of the first Bonnar/Soszynski fight, but this was extremely entertaining.
    i’m also not a huge Chris Leben fan, but i was grinning ear to ear watching that fight, great entertainment.
    as for the title fight, someone should have told Shane he can use his elbows, i think he dropped maybe two elbows on Brock only. I’m sure if he had started throwing elbow strike after elbow strike, even if it was on Brocks forearms, it would have been stopped. The guy lost the fight himself. all credit to Brock for taking that beating and pulling out a superb choke, but Shane only has himself to blame for not wearing that belt right now. I still dont like Brock, but he is proving that he is learning the sport, can’t knock him for that

• Dr. Sardonicus says:

Congrats to Lesnar for his heart and especially for his civility in the post fight interview. He is the “Baddest Man on the Planet”. I hope he will continue to wear the mantle gracefully, leaving unecessary arrogance in the past.

Up to this fight, Carwin had finished all comers in the first round and he was obviously desperate to do the same to Lesnar. His frantic, nonstop G&P left him gassed and limp at the start of the second round. Carwin can learn from this fight to pace himself and pick deadly shots instead of the gatling gun approach.

• JabCrossHook says:

JDS will knock out Brock.

• hindsightufuk says:

well that fight did prove that Brock doesnt like getting hit, it almost brought out the quit in him.

• Dufresne says:

I personally liked the prelim fights. They were all pretty entertaining, with the possible exception of Harris/Branch until the 3rd round. Schaub showed crisp, accurate striking. Petruzelli had Romero in trouble several times early before ending up on the ground where he got tapped. I don’t know how you can call them amateurish and sloppy when both of those fights had some very technical work in them.

I do agree that if Shane had used elbows he would have had a better chance of having that fight stopped though. Elbows to a downed opponent look nasty, sound nasty, and have a bad habit of causing cuts all of which make the ref more likely to stop a fight. I don’t think Brock got lucky though, he did what he needed to do to escape there. He kept moving, kept defending, and kept trying to grab Carwin all of which showed that he was “intelligently defending himself.”

I hate saying a fighter got lucky as it takes away from what they accomplished. Was Werdum lucky to get that choke on Fedor? You can say that, but in reality he’s spent around two decades training his BJJ and that’s what let him slap that triangle on. Was Scott Smith lucky in the first bout against Le? Again you can say that, but he’s been training his standup game for over a decade and that’s what let him have the accuracy and power to land that shot.
    As Roy D. Chapin said, “Luck is when hard work meets opportunity.”

• Dufresne says:

And really, other than maybe Bonnar and Leben, who really likes getting hit?

• stone says:

Once again, the “so so” card on paper comes thru! Brock is the MAN! I didn’t even really like him til now. U can’t help but to like the guy now…. Leben may never hold the belt but, DaMn It! LEBEN IS THE PEOPLE’S CHAMP!

• booboo2280 says:

Any Idea when you all at 5oz will be updating your Heavyweight rankings. With all the turmoil and changes since the last time it was updated, is interesting to see who is gonna be the top 5.

• bigbadjohn says:

Pillowhands has no chance against Brock, in fact he struggled to finish Rothwell. And JDS has the obligatory “puncher’s chance” but if Lesnar took a Carwin uppercut and dominated Frank Mir’s jiu-jitsu defence, then Junior’s chances are slim to none. I’m not a Brock nuthugger, last night we saw he isn’t invincible but he shouldn’t be too concerned until that big ass Carwin is back on his doorstep.

• JabCrossHook says:

Any fighter over 200 pounds should be able to knock someone out with their hands if they can’t they have no business being a fighter. Cain most def. punches hard, especially after working with Javier (coach of Cung Le). Carwin was a bit slow and sluggish with his striking. JDS has fast hands. Also I know it’s Shit on Fedor from now on but remember his little brother? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsW0YOhtnXE

Aleksandr isn’t even with M-1 and his boxing is very crisp. I honestly think that Aleks can knockout Carwin if they were just boxing. He’s taller, longer reach, and quicker. It all depends on his good his Sambo is against Carwin’s wrestling.

• Dufresne says:

I agree that all HW’s can most likely KO anyone else in the division. The question though is whether they can do that in one shot, or many. Cain has evidently upped his punching power and his boxing technique, but I’m not sure if he’s got it up to the level to one shot KO someone like Lesnar.

You can say Carwin’s hands looked slow, but even if it was slow he landed a ton of shots. According to fightmetric (http://fightmetric.com/fights/Lesnar-Carwin.html) he landed a total of 39 “significant shots” and 61 shots total. You have to admit that Carwin has pretty powerful punches, but even all of those shots didn’t take Lesnar out. I’m not inclined to believe that Cain or JDS have the overall power to do it to him either. I could be proven very wrong, but I don’t see them getting a KO or even a TKO on Brock.

• BigDave says:

Cain ko’d big Nog who else can say that…..Oh thats right no one can. Cain can certainly ko Brock and I predict that he will do just that when he becomes the HW champ in a few months.

• LiverPunch says:

Mir can can’t he Big Dave?. Mir and Cain have a TKO punches over Nog. Sorry but it just stood out. Your point is valid though.

• Dufresne says:

Mir and both KO’d Big Nog, but how much of that is due to their phenomenal striking and how much of that is due to the fact that he’s been in 40 professional fights and was known for the abuse he could absorb throughout the years? All that eventually catches up to you and I think we’re seeing it happen to Nog.

• BigDave says:

Mir got a TKO but Cain got a true ko.

• twyg says:

I attribute Cains KO over Nog more to the years of abuse Nog has taken then to Cains punching power. Case in point is the Kongo fight. If Cain was such a world beater why couldn’t he finish Kongo? Sorry BigDave I know you have been a Cain nuthugger from the beginning, and if he wins I will be the first to give you props but after watching Brock take that beating in the first I see no why Cain can pull off a victory.