Dana White doesn’t care about Fedor Emelianenko

While many have viewed the recent defeat of Fedor Emelianenko at the hands of Fabricio Werdum is a sign of the passing of the guard in mixed martial arts’ heavyweight landscape, UFC President Dana White isn’t one of them.

“No matter what happened last weekend, this fight will determine the best heavyweight in the world,” said White during the recent pre-UFC 116 press conference.

The winner of Saturday evening’s heavyweight title clash between Brock Lesnar and Shane Carwin will not only serve to establish a definitive undisputed UFC heavyweight champion, but also to crown the victor as the consensus top rated fighter in the closely watched division. The submission defeat suffered by Fedor, a man long recognized as the king of the weight class, has put the pieces in place to crown a new king of the mountain at heavyweight.

White went on to state in regards to Emelianenko, “You want to prove you’re the best in the world, come fight the best in the world.”

When asked if he was still interested in eventually bringing Fedor to the UFC, White seemed less than optimistic.

“I’m interested in these guys,” said White, referring to Lesnar and Carwin. “Now that he loses, he wants to come fight over here now? No, I don’t care.”

• MickeyC says:

He may not care if Fedor comes over, but he no dout LOVES that Fedor lost & is no longer NO. 1. He has to. He for sure had NO.2 & 3 and thay both jumped up when Fedor taped.

• twyg says:

I don’t know how everyone else feels, but the winner of this fight will have to beat Cain V. to be a consensus number one. Right now the argument can be made that the winner is number one, but a win over Cain ends all debate in my view. As for DW not caring about the massive earthquake that was Saturday night; that is just posturing. Of course he cares that Fedor isn’t number one anymore, and that it will be easier to grab the SF champ (who ever that may be) when his contract is up. At least easier then getting Fedor.

• Lethal Liquid says:

Dana running off at the mouth again. He feels he is in the driver seat. Perhaps he is. UFC 116 is the biggest fight perhaps in the company’s history perhaps. He doesn’t need to care.

• moosebaby02 says:

and really why should he????

• David Andrest says:

He shouldn’t care, The man is under contract. With a win, and an expired contract, He’ll be interested.

There is a mightly long list of guys Dana hasn’t been interested in. And low and behold once he has them, they were an all time great and his life wouldn’t have been complete without them.

• BigDave says:

Fedor in my opinion hasnt been #1 i a few years simple because he refuses to fight top fighters. if he comes to the ufc he will be maybe a top 10 hw but not a top 5 guy. He isn’t good enough to beat brock, carwin, cain, mir, or dos antos. Sorry Fedor not huggers thats just the way it is.

• elkymbo says:

Haha nice work big dave. You’re obviously the leading knowledge on the subject. How the hell do you know who would win out of Fedor and any of the ufc’s top heavyweights? You got a crystal ball have you mate? No one can know the answer until the end of the fight and hopefully one day we get to see these matches, I mean how good would Brock vs Fedor be? Or Fedor vs any of the top ten heavyweights.

Dana White doesn’t care about Fedor Emelianenko…

Good news… Leave him where he is. Fuck M-1.
    And I hope Overeem does fight in Dream and fucking loses over there just so the fans can understand just how retarded Scott coker is and how he has no control over his promotion or the fighters- seems like a free for all, good luck with that PPV down the road, at least you can put your own final nail in your coffin…SF thinks it’s a big time global promotion- sorry guys I dont believe you. Please give Fedor his rematch immediately so that too can fuckin back fire in these idiots faces.

• Dufresne says:

Dana is doing his job here, and that’s about all. He either ignores questions about his competition or focuses on their recent losses, all the while touting his guys as the best in the world. I don’t know how anyone can get upset by this, he’s a businessman first and his first priority is making the UFC out to be THE only MMA organization on the planet.

While I agree that Fedor hasn’t been the #1 in the world for at least 2 years, I don’t agree that it was because he “refuses” to fight top guys. As I’m sure LiverPunch will point out, he actively tried to get a fight with Randy, but the UFC (in my opinion, wisely) blocked the fight from happening. The UFC gains nothing by having their top guys go outside the organization to fight other guys. If they win, so what? They just proved that Dana was right. If they lose though, then it might be possible that the UFC doesn’t have the best in the world. So what if we know that the UFC doesn’t hold every single top tier fighter? The 95% of other MMA fans out there don’t know that, and they’re the ones paying the bills.

I do agree with you David A. There’s no reason for any promoters/matchmakers/businessmen not in SF to care about Fedor right now. As you said, he’s under contract.
    Once that contract is up however, it’s open season. And with Fedor’s stock diminished from a loss, even though the loss was to a top 10 guy and a top 5 grappler, he might be a more affordable commodity. I seriously doubt that he will end up in the UFC simply because his management/the-company-he’s-part-owner-of seems to have a strict business policy of only signing with promotions that they can co-promote with, and the UFC has a strict no co-promotion business policy.

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

Like it or not UFC is #1. The HW division is always the most visible division. Most ppl will watch 116 and decide that the winner must be the #1 HW. Is it because Dana says so? Maybe. Is it just because UFC is most visible? Possibly.

Is Fedor washed up? Hardly. If Fedor was a free agent would Dana have his offer in the mix? You bet.
    Fedor went without a legitimate earned defeat for quite a while and whether or not he beat the very best in the world during that time is a matter of opinion but, he did win and that is what really counts.

If Fedor or anyone wants to fight the best HW in the world they gotta be in the UFC. To say otherwise is foolish. #1 or not either Lesnar or Carwin would be a very tough fight for any HW in any promotion.

• asears178 says:

I don’t understand why certain people have such animosity towards Strikeforce or Fedor. Strikeforce puts on good shows with talent that we would never be able to see if it was not for them. And they have brought MMA back to network T.V. with really good shows. The more they are exposed, the better for the fans and I don’t understand why people do not realize this. Strikeforce is just putting on the best show possible.

And how could you hate Fedor. Whether or not you think he has faced the best competition he went undefeated more than a decade, can people not grasp that UNDEFEATED, eventually everyone loses even the great Brock Lesnar has who has a grand total of 5 fights now AMAZING (sarcasm) Fedor always put on a good show, always humble, and always respectable, a far cry from the UFC fighters who remind me of prowrestlers, I cannot stand watching them after the fight.

And finally who says that best heavyweights are in the UFC. Dana White, bloggers, journalist??? PLease, do not let someone else think for you or tell you who to like. In other words do not drink the kool-aid. Dana White is a promoter, and will promote his product, so of course anything that is not the UFC sucks. He is like a shepherd herding sheep. THINK FOR YOURSELF, AND BE YOUR OWN MAN.

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

Outside of Fedor and maybe Overeem..Which SF HW could be a top contender in UFC?

AA? lol. At this stage of his career any top 10 UFC HW would run him over
    Bigfoot? Don’t see him as anything more than a mid carder
    Werdum? Top notch ground game would make him dangerous but, he has to stay conscious to use it.

The best HWs in the world are in UFC.It’s not “drinking kool-aid” it is a fact. If not tell me other than Fedor/Overeem who the top HW fighters from other promotions are that should be ranked above Lesnar, Carwin, etc?

• stone says:

Fedor is still #1 in my book! He got caught in a sub! Big Deal… He hasn’t gotten beat down or KO’d cold and we all know that’s what breaks fighters. He’s the one that “broke” T.Silvia and A.A… Everybody called those guys serious contenders till Fedor got ahold of them. Who has Lesnar n Carwin beat really? Mir, Napao and Randy… Other than that they haven’t really beat any real comp! Everyone is just caught up in the hype of the moment! I think Fedor would still clean the UFC HW div out! Brock has a total of like 5 fights and Carwin only 2 that are really worth looking at.(Gonzaga n Mir) Fedor has a way better track record, u can’t just throw it away over a fluke loss! Boy the UFC sure knows how to hype up a fight between a guy who has KO’d a list of nobodies (Carwin) and a big bastard that aint fought in over a year and sports a 4-1 record! This card really aint that good… Yeah I said it!

• twyg says:

The winner of this fight is number one,and that is just a fact. I said earlier that to be consensus the winner on Saturday would have to beat Cain, and I stand by that. By beating two top five guys in a year no one could argue with the UFC champ being number one; no matter how much they love Fedor/hate DW. Due to the lose (as fluke as some my think it is) Fedor can’t be number one. A lose is a lose, and now that his aura of invincablity is gone he no longer has the huge mental edge he had even two weeks ago. I don’t see Fedor beating Lesnar or Carwin. They are just too big,strong, and fast. This is a new era in the HW division, and I for one am going to sit back and enjoy it.

• king mah mah says:

No way does the Lesnar Carwin fight decide who is number 1. Have to agree with stone here.

Lesnar is 1-1 against Mir, beat Heath Herring(big deal), and beat a 46 year old Randy Couture that he outweighed by probably 60 lbs.(once again big deal).

I’m not saying Lesnar or Carwin can’t be number one in the world. Either one very well may be, but to me they have a long way to go to prove it. Actually, I think Carwin’s resume is far better than Lesnar’s. With far more impressive victories.

• king mah mah says:

Carwin by vicious knockout in the 2nd rd!

Let the thumbs down begin baby! Woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!

• Dufresne says:

Hahaha, mah mah is back!!!

• Madmax says:

You mean- let the popularity CENSORSHIP begin. I’m pooh-poohing ALL.

• I think the loss does nothing in the way of down grading Fedors legacy. Anybody can get caught in a submission. Fedor got a little careless after 10 years of without a loss. He out struck Werdum badly or I guess it is possible that Werdum baited Fedor in and made it look the he got kinda rocked so Fedor would fall into Werdums guard. If that is so then Werdum nor his camp have talked about it yet.

I have to see Fedor fight again to know if he is done. As for Dana saying he isn’t interest in Fedor. In past posts, I read some of the numbers that Fedor was going to get from Dana and they were HUGE but M1 wanted partnership and the UFC wasn’t going for that so no, Dana would not be interested in him unless Fedor and M1 humbled themselves a whole lot which they really have to do with this loss although Fedor could go on another 10 year run at Strikeforce…you never know.

• manny says:

AND NO ONE CARES WHAT DW HAS TO SAY….
    HE’LL REGRET THAT COMMENT AND EAT HIS OWN WORDS AFTER FEDOR’S CONTRACT IS UP IN SF. I HOPE IT COMES TO BITE HIM IN HIS @$$! :)

• danw84 says:

I agree with a lot of what was said here. The winner tomorrow determines nothing more than who has the UFC Heavyweight belt.

That’s it.

It will obviously change rankings around, but rankings are so subjective they aren’t really worth much until you find the one that happens to agree with you. If Brock beats Carwin, then beats Cain, THEN I would agree he’s probably the best. But it doesn’t mean he ABSOLUTELY is.

Fedor lost. So he’s 31-2 now? He wins 94.75% of his fights. Show me another fighter that’s been around as long as him with that sort of win ratio.

• Niv says:

For once DW is actually speaking the truth, he isn’t interested in Fedor right now.

Imagine even for a second that DW signed Fedor to the UFC today, what does he say if he runs through the entire division. What spin could he put on the situation?

Like it or not Fedor’s first loss doesn’t diminish much really. He wasn’t beaten say like Machida first fight to only get ktfo in the rematch to follow. Nobody here truly believes Machida is now overrated or done do they? Machida even after losing two in a row in my opinion is probably still the number 2 LHW out there.

BJ Penn lost at LW yet he’s still ranked #1 so nothing has changed much again. I think if Fedor loses another fight in the near future he definitely drops but as it stands today no one has earned the top spot over him yet, though I give Werdum a huge thumbs up for doing what no one else has ever done.

• danw84 says:

“BJ Penn lost at LW yet he’s still ranked #1”

5ozofpain has Aoki over Melendez.

• danw84 says:

But otherwise I agree with your points.