Cain Velasquez guaranteed title shot against winner of Lesnar vs. Carwin

Anyone that has had the pleasure of witnessing former Division I wrestling powerhouse Cain Velasquez wreaking havoc across the heavyweight landscape of mixed martial arts over the last four years knew it had to happen eventually, and according to UFC President Dana White that day has come.

Velasquez has been confirmed as the guaranteed challenger to the winner of this Saturday evening’s UFC 116 showdown between Brock Lesnar and Shane Carwin.

The news was first reported by MMAJunkie.com, who quoted White as stating, “Cain fights the winner of this fight, probably as soon as possible.

“Cain’s been waiting a long time.”

Velasquez sports an unblemished record of 8-0 during his time spent in the sport while training alongside UFC vets such as Josh Koscheck and Jon Fitch at the American Kickboxing Academy in San Jose, California. Finishing 7 of his 8 victories via KO or TKO, Velasquez has notched impressive victories over the likes of Cheick Kongo, Ben Rothwell, and most recently, Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira.

The winner of the bout between Lesnar and Carwin this weekend in Las Vegas will be crowned the undisputed UFC Heavyweight Champion along with being recognized as the best fighter in the division with the recent shocking upset submission defeat suffered by Fedor Emelianenko at the hands of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu ace Fabricio Werdum that took place this past weekend under the Strikeforce banner.

The undefeated and freakishly talented Velasquez will soon get his opportunity to fill that coveted role. The role as the ruler of the most feared division in combat sports.

• moosebaby02 says:

good for him. bout time.

• Makington says:

This is about what I expected. I think he earned it by knocking out Nog. A lot of people are saying it’s because Nog is washed up now and getting older. Maybe that’s true, but he looked as strong and healthy as ever in the preview shows. We’ll be able to judge just how good the victory was after Nog fights again.

I would have liked to have seen him face JDS but he’s dealing with Big Country right now but I’m sure they will face each other at some point.

I didn’t think Id ever say this again, but the heavyweight is easily my most excited division right now, even ahead of the light heavyweight. The best compliment I could give to the division right now is I honestly have no clue who will be champ in a year and a half.

• MickeyC says:

Who ever win this weekend will make an Awesome fight with Cain. Man I am glad we are really starting to get awesome HW fights. With the JDS and Nelson fight coming to, could be some big changes in the divisonon the horizon.

• Lethal Liquid says:

I think us fight fans should relish what we are seeing. I believe we are experiencing the golden age of MMA heavyweight. We going to see behemoths of high skill fighting in wars for years to come

• bigbadjohn says:

Bad match up for Cain either way. bigger opponent, same general strengths.Basically they all have great wrestling as their base, so weight difference becnmmes very crucial

• s13 says:

I agree with john (and i voted yes!). Think about who he faced so far and who he WILL face next. He has never fought anyone with the same skillset as himself, not kongo, not nog…anyone, so he dominated them with that skill although he’s developed his striking too. He will face carwin next who is his mirror image EXCEPT Carwin hits ALOT harder and is ALOT stronger than Cain (Cain weighs about 237, Carwin CUTS to 265 from about 300, and i don’t recall anyone taking 200+ unanswered shots to the head from Carwin like Kongo took from Cain). After Cain loses he will say that he sees what he has to do to win and go gain some more mass to even out the power factor. Brock will fight Mir next if Carwin loses to Cain. When Cain loses to Carwin he will fight Brock next and Frank will rematch Nog. Since Cain will be nearly the size of Brock, I’ll say that would go to Cain because Brock doesn’t have standup and gets flustered when leather touches his face. The rematch of Cain vs Carwin might hold a different outcome since Cain will be about the same size as Carwin and learns quicker than a shock therapy patient. You want to disagree with bigbadjohn, but size does matter people, think of it this way. How would you all like to see jose aldo vs shogun? Oh that’s absurd you say! Really? They are 60lbs apart with the same skillset roughly….the same weight difference between Shane and Carwin on fight night.

• s13 says:

i meant to say the same weight difference between Cain and Carwin on fight night. 😛

Good for Cain…the great fights just keep coming!

• Dufresne says:

Don’t quite agree with you there s13. While you’re right that Cain has yet to fight a wrestler of his caliber, I don’t think that played in at all in his fight with Nog. And I’m not sure who Cain will be facing for the HW strap, but I think it’s safe to say that whoever it is will make it a hell of a fight. Both are definitely bigger than Cain, and both have superior level wrestling, but I’m not sure it will be a stroll for either of them. Yeah, Cain got rocked by Kongo, but you should remember that Kongo’s striking is way more technical than either Lesnar’s or Carwin’s. He may not his as hard as they do, but he’s much more accurate and that does count for a lot.

Also, Cain’s head movement has gotten significantly better since that fight, as has his own striking arsenal. We saw Cain surprise Big Nog with some aggressive, accurate, and powerful punching in their bout, and it seems like that’s about the same combination that almost put Carwin out in his matchup with Gonzaga. And I’m willing to bet that Cain hits harder than Gabe does. Now Carwin has almost certainly tightened up his defense, but you can’t train a chin, and you can’t beat Father Time. If Cain is slated to fight Carwin for the belt, by the time the fight takes place Carwin will be at least 36 while Cain will only be 28 or 29. 36 isn’t ancient by any means, but fighters usually start sliding around that time frame while it seems that most fighters are usually about to hit their peaks in the late 20’s or very early 30’s.

I’m also not convinced that Lesnar gets “flustered” when leather touches his face. He got rocked by Mir, true, but he definitely didn’t get flustered. Even after eating that punch and getting cracked by a flying knee he managed to secure the takedown that he used to ultimately win the fight. If Lesnar is the one that Cain gets the pleasure of meeting he’ll have to work more on his wrestling. He’s already got top-notch wrestling, but just as Carwin has good wrestling and great striking power, Lesnar has good striking power and great wrestling. We haven’t seen anyone actually be the aggressor against Brock yet, but that’s probably due to the fact that Brock always tries to move forward in either the striking game or when looking for a shot. I’m curious how he would do with someone coming at him for a change. And again, Brock was rocked by Mir, so if Mir can slip a shot in, I’m almost positive Cain could as well. I also think Cain hits harder than Mir.

Whoever Cain gets to fight, the next title contender should be the winner of JDS/Big Country. JDS has arguably earned himself a shot before fighting Nelson, but since that fight is already scheduled and Cain is already slated to be the next contender, he’ll have to win and wait. An argument could be made for Big Country as well. He may have only fought twice in the UFC so far, but both were KO wins, he’s a former HW champ in the IFL, he’s the dominant winner from the TUF: Heavyweights, and if he beats JDS then he just took out the #2 contender behind Cain.

If you can’t tell, I’m absolutely loving the UFC HW division. I don’t think I’ve been this happy about the big boys since the days of Pedro Rizzo, Coleman, Randleman, and Couture. Hell, I’ll even throw Tank in with that group for nostalgia’s sake.

• Makington says:

Shoot, nice post dufresne. Very good arguments.

• stone says:

Cain deserves his shot just for the simple fact he’s undefeated… JDS will beat Nelson and deserves his shot as well… Too bad ur only as good as your last fight, no one even mentions Mir anymore! He got beat by Carwin and Brock I know, but DAMN, u can’t just count him out either! As far as the heavyweight div bein exciting, yes it is. IMO still aint deep enuff! They need Reem, Fedor, Werdum back and maybe even a few “ol school stepping stones” like Ricco, Tim Silvia and Gonzaga. Yeah its an exciting div but still not touching the LHWs or even the LWs… Those two divs are stacked w/awesome possible fights… HWs on the other hand only got a good top 4 or 5. We can all name those!

• bigbadjohn says:

Great to see Cain get his due. Im a fan of his and look forward to his shot. With wins over Kongo and Rothwell, he appears to be a formidable combatant. But Im not sold on the idea that Cain has the TD defense to work thru 5 or even 3 rounds to roll with Brock. LW to LHW are in 15 pound increments, HW is 60. When it comes to wrestling, size does matter.

• twyg says:

I’m sorry,but the winner of Saturday nights fight will steamroll Cain. He is a great fighter with some amazing skill, but those other two guys are just too big for him to handle. If this were ten years ago Cain would be the dominate heavyweight, but I see no way he can beat either of the gaints. He won’t knock them out, can’t out wrestle them, doesn’t have the submission game to pull something off from his back, and no one is lasting five rounds with those guys. Good for you Cain you deserve a title shot; just sucks that its going to be either Lesnar or Carwin.

• gstringwife says:

You can’t train for Lesnar he is a freak of nature a natural talent on top of hard work training is dangerous mix, a punchers chance is what any man would have

• vph416 says:

I know he comes off like an arrogant ass, but we’ve got to give DW some credit here. The reason we’re all excited about the Heavies is because he and Joe Silva have really managed the fighters well. They are finding ways to give exciting new talent legitimate fights to build their “contendership” without making them fight one another. So now we’ve got potential title fight after potential title fight that we’re all excited for.

• vph416 says:

Just curious:

“And I’m willing to bet that Cain hits harder than Gabe does
    I also think Cain hits harder than Mir.”

what makes you think Cain has such power? I saw him dominate Nog, but I truly think Nog has finally become punched-out… he’s taken a lot of damage for a long time.
    Cain overwhelms people, but he’s shown he doesn’t have classic knockout power. Ask Congo if Cain hits harder than Mir

• hindsightufuk says:

if he does get the next title shot it will most likely be towards the end of the year, meaning we get to see Cain fight twice this year. whoopee fucking doo.

• manny says:

IF ITS CAIN VS LESNAR WINNER WILL BE DETERMINED WHOEVER IS BEST AT GNP I THINK.
    IF ITS CAIN VS CARWIN THEN IT WILL BE A STAND UP BATTLE FOR THE MOST PART.
    EITHER WAY, I WISH EACH DIVISION IN THE UFC HAD A TRUE #1 CONTENDER WAITING FOR THE CHAMPION INSTEAD OF THORWING FIGHTER AT THEM. EXAMPLES- WW DIV, MW DIV, LW DIV IS PICKING BACK UP, LW DIV IS ALSO GETTING THERE.

• danw84 says:

Manny there’s a key beside the A key, hit it.