Gegard Mousasi vs. Jake O’Brien set for DREAM.15

Photo by Esther Lin/STRIKEFORCE

The return of Dutch striker and former Strikeforce LightHeavyweight Champion Gegard Mousasi will take place at Dream 15 according to MMAJunkie.com. His opponent will be Jake O’Brien, a UFC veteran who has won two fights outside of the promotion.

Mousasi is coming off a devastating loss to Muhammed “King Mo” Lawal at “Strikeforce: Nashville”, a fight that saw Mo take the striker down at will for five rounds en route to a decision victory. Mousasi had previously defeated Renato “Babalu” Sobral to win the Strikeforce championship after winning Dream’s inaugural Middleweight Grand Prix.

O’Brien is making the move down to light heavyweight after defeating Dave Hess and Toni Valtonen on two smaller events. O’Brien is 13-3 and his losses have come to fighters like Cain Velasquez, Jon Jones, and Andrei Arlovski.

This fight will complete the four-man tournament which also includes Melvin Manhoef vs. Tatsuya Mizuno. The winner will be crowned the promotion’s light heavyweight champion.

• Makington says:

I would have called this fight for Mousasi without a doubt in my mind a while ago, but that was before I figured out that he had some serious holes in his wrestling. Against a guy like O’Brien, he will lay on him all night long. H basically like a bigger Jon Fitch.

If Mousasi comes in like he did against King Mo then I predict a long boring fight with Jake pulling out a decision.

• Guthookd says:

Jake O for the smothering wrestler win. Jake’s wrestling, while not wonderfully complemented by a monsterous assortment of subs, is solid as a rock. There’s no getting out from under him.

• Guthookd says:

Hate to be a negative nelly, but man, I can’t imagine a match with less main stream appeal than this. Us hardcores are the only Americans that will even know this happened (and of course our Canadian counterparts up there in our guard). Maybe an Aussie or two.

• Rich S. says:

I think it’s a bit quick to start pointing out holes in Gegard’s ground game.

Sure he was totally smothered by King Mo, but that was EXTRAORDINARILY uncharacteristic of him, and still, I think he was reluctant to fight the takedowns in confidence of his own submissions off his back, even though he didn’t try many..

Mousasi is great with Submissions and Ground’n’Pound, somehow, he forgot to show us that in his last fight.. Add the fact that he’s hungry to get back to the “W” column and there’s no chance this one ends any other way than TKO in favor of Mousasi..

• Dufresne says:

Mousasi’s loss to Lawal is one of the few decisions that went to the “dominant” fighter that I disagree with. Yeah Lawal took Gegard down at will and kept him there, but he seemed content to lay there and do almost zero damage. He attempted maybe three passes and got hit 3 times for every time he swung at Gegard. If you had simply looked at the fighters at the end to make your decision you would have chosen Mousasi because Mo’s face was all busted to hell.

I don’t know how this fight will go. O’Brien has pretty solid wrestling, but he wasn’t exactly a standout at the collegiate level (O’Brien was sub .500 his sophomore year compared to Mo’s collegiate total of 184–0) so I’m not convinced he’ll have as easy a time getting Mousasi down and keeping him there as Mo did. I also think Mousasi will have spent a decent amount of time working on takedown defenses and putting together subs from his back.

All that makes me think that Mousasi will pull off the win here by either TKO or by triangle choke.

Maybe gegard has taken his training to the next level after the unexpected loss to mo? But something tells me we will see a better gegard out there…with that said if I was a betting man I still gotta go with the wet blanket win for Jake.

• MMASwami says:

I hate to sound like a dick…. but… “devastating loss”?? Really lol… was nothing too devastating about that fight. And I pretty much echo the thoughts of Guthookd. Almost no appeal for me to see Mousasi fighting O’Brien. Dude is suppose to be one of the best fighters in the world. Should be matched up accordingly…. meaning no disrespect to Jake O’Brien of course 😉

• LiverPunch says:

Mousasi via sub on he ground and by TKO on the feet. Gez you guys are quick to write off 1 of the best fighters in MMA. I think he would have worked like a sunabitch on what went wrong against Mo.
    Mind you O’Brian’s only losses came against Jones, AA and Valasquez. Good match up as far as non-UFC LHW’s go.

• hindsightufuk says:

yeah it wasnt a devastating loss, it was a shit performance.
    i think the only way Gegard doesnt win is if he has no motivation, as he seemed to be lacking in his last fight. he’s still one of my favourite fighters and i think is still one of the best in the game

• Connor Cobain says:

Gegard is overrated. Lawal showed that, I really don’t think O’brien has to worry about his striking. The only time that anyone has hurt him besides when he was fgihgting heavyweights was Jon Jones with his patented spinning back elbow. Gegard might be able to lock in a triangle but I don’t think he does well against powerfull guys. Sokajui was beating him up until he gassed (like always).