Dan Hardy vs. Carlos Condit on tap for UFC 120

A welterweight fight between Dan “The Outlaw” Hardy and Carlos “The Natural Born Killer” Condit is set for UFC 120. Both sides have apparently agreed to the bout, and the contract for the fight should be signed by the end of the week.

News of the likely contest between the crowd-pleasing welterweights comes courtesy of a recent report on MMAWeekly.com.

Hardy is coming off of a one-sided loss to UFC Welterweight Champion Georges St. Pierre at UFC 111, a fight that saw St. Pierre take Hardy down at will throughout most of the fight. Before that, Hardy had defeated Rory Markham, Akihiro Gono, Marcus Davis, and Mike Swick in the UFC. Three of five Hardy’s fights in the Octagon have occurred in England, and this will be no different.

Condit’s last fight was a gutsy victory as he faced the up-and-coming Rory MacDonald at UFC 115. MacDonald dominated the first two rounds of the fight, but Condit made a staggering comeback in the final round and finished MacDonald with punches and elbows on the ground, earning him and MacDonald a nice $85,000 dollar Fight of The Night Bonus.

UFC 120 occurs on October 16 and will emanate from the O2 Arena in London, England.

• MCM says:

Kinda seams like a step down for Hardy, would have rather seen him take on someone like Fitch or Paulo Thiago. I never cared for Condit, but they may wind up making this a good fight.

• Genesis says:

Condit has heart, and I have a lot of disdain for Hardy. Hopefully condit can wow the brass for a run at the title.

• MickeyC says:

I do not see this as a step down for Hardy. Seems like a great matchup. Should be a go little brawl.

• Guthookd says:

I think it should be a good one too. Funny that you don’t like Condit MCM because I’ve found him to be a very skilled fighter who puts on exciting fights and always comes with full energy and a gas tank to match. To each his own I guess.

I pick Condit by Triangle in the second round after taking some serious GnP in the first.

• BigDave says:

People this is going to be a fight of the year candidate mark my words. Both these dues just flat out bring it. there won’t be any feeling out process and very little technical fighting. It will be two dudes swinging for the fences. I for one am Jacked for this fight!

• Rich S. says:

This is a pretty good match up, but if Condit doesn’t change something fast there’s no way he wins it..

For three fights in a row now, Condit has looked slow and has had no answer for his opponent’s strikes or ground work (despite two wins). Certainly not the Condit we knew in WEC.. Had he not gotten the late TKO over MacDonald, he would’ve reached yet another Split Decision. That’s far too close to leave three straight fights, and the harder his competition gets, the less likely it is for him to to do that.

Hardy is easily his toughest fight in the UFC so far. He’s not going to gas, he’s going to keep pushing the pace however he can, I just hope Condit can keep up..

Who knows, maybe he’ll excel against the tougher competition.

• stone says:

C.C. All the way here! I hope he can finish it! Hardy is a tough s-o-b, but C.C. Has entertained me for years… Always a war when CC fights!!!

• fanoftna33 says:

looks like a great match, as both guys will always give it there all. I think this looks to be a win for Hardy though.

Let ’emm Bang.

CC for the upset, for no good reason at all.

• Dufresne says:

I don’t think Hardy is really all that amazing as an MMA fighter to be honest. Everyone talks about how he’s a “KO artist” but in reality less than half of his wins have come via (T)KO and none of them have come against quality opponents (aside from Markham who has a glass jaw). His sub game isn’t isn’t any better. He’s got 4 submission wins to his name and two are due to strikes against no-names whose records I can’t find, 1 is due to injury, and only one is actually the result of a submission attempt and that one is also against a no-name who I can’t find mention of online.

Condit on the other hand has a history of being a well rounded fighter with 25 wins that break down like this: 11 (T)KO’s, 13 submissions and 1 decision. He only has 5 losses and all of those opponents have a record of well over .500 and a combined record of 114-40-2. Not bad.

If Condit can start fighting like he did in the WEC and like he did in the last few minutes of the MacDonald fight, he should steam roll Hardy.

Condit via submission late 1st or middle of second, guillotine or RNC.

• Rich S. says:

You’re right Dufresne, Hardy isn’t that much of a knockout artist, and he certainly isn’t anything special on the ground, but he knows how to control a fight. He has shocked me a few times with his wins. I’m not even a fan of his, but, after all, he was able to get a title shot in the UFC’s Welterweight division.

I know Condit is a better fighter, in almost ever facet really, but he hasn’t showed that in over a year now. I actually thought he was going to finish early with a bang in his bout with MacDonald but he got worked.

• FierceFlamingo says:

nooooooooo I these are my favourite welterweights, I can’t be having them fight eachother!!! who will will I bet on? I’m guessing either Condit by split decision or Hardy via tko , depending on whether or not Condit gets off to another slow start and whether or not Hardy can capitalize

• MCM says:

I guess I’m saying that it’s a step down for Hardy, cause like Rich S. said, Hardy is just coming off a title shot. I figured he deserved someone a little higher up in the rankings than Condit.
    I also had Condit losing to Jake Ellenberger and he was getting beat by Macdonald before the last few min. of round 3. He’s a tough dude that can take some punishment, but he hasn’t impressed me much since coming to the UFC.
    If Hardy can keep this standing, I think he can take Carlos pretty easily. If it goes to the ground…..well that’s a different story. I’m gonna say Dan Hardy by Dec.

• this is a great match up in terms of finding out where both fighters are in the 170 division. After what I saw with GSP, I don’t think that carlos will tap hardy and I don’t see hardy knocking out condit. This is going to be a war more like swick vs hardy but I give more favor towards condit over swick. Condit could take this.

• stone says:

Hell Yeah Dufresne! WELL WRITTEN but, Rich has a point… Whoever controls the tempo of the fight will win. If its a war of wrestling, BJJ n clinchwork then CC wins… If it turns into a war of boxing n footwork Hardy wins by KO or the UD…CC always takes a few on the chin…can he take a few from Hardy is the question!

• Con says:

This a great match-up. Condit’s only UFC loss was a good fight against Kampmann. Most of Condit’s UFC fights have been entertaining, same with Hardy. I don’t see it as a step down. I think if Hardy can defeat CC it will show he belongs and is not a fluke who was in the right place at the right time.

• Angry Mike says:

Condit’s fights in the UFC have put his WEC record in a different perspective for me. No knock on him or other WEC fighters, but the level of competition in UFC is higher, and Condit isn’t the dominant fighter in UFC that he was in WEC. Hardy went the distance with GSP, which I didn’t expect. Condit’s had to work harder than I expected, especially against McDonald. I’m looking forward to this fight, and I’d like to see Condit win it, but I think it’s going to be Hardy by ko, and not later than the second round.

• Twiztid Ninja says:

I agree with Angry Mike… Hardy will control the stand up and eventually TKO him. I also believe Hardy will neutralize anything C C will throw at him on the ground. Hardy TKO early 3rd rd

• MickeyC says:

it’s true CC has seen tougher fights now than he was in WEC. But to be honest I think Dana kinda pushed Hardy to fast. He should have never been with GSP. So he beat Swick, good for him, he fought hard. But at best swick was 4th at that time. Why did he even get a shot? CC is more on his level, we will see a good fight.i CC has what it takes to win this, but I Think Hardys killer instinct should earn him the win on this one.

• El Toro says:

I really think that this will be an exciting fight. Hardy is coming off of a title shot loss and will no doubt be looking to claw his way back to the upper reaches of the welterweight heap. Condit is definitely more well rounded than Hardy but I was a little disappointed in Condit’s last outing against McDonald. He did pick up the win but looked horrid the first 2 rounds against the 20 year old. If Condit can take Hardy to the ground and control him there a la GSP he stands a good chance of winning but I predict a KO or TKO win by Hardy. No matter the outcome both of these guys are scrappers though and will no doubt put on a great show. Definitely looking forward to this fight.