Nate Diaz vs. Marcus Davis booked for UFC 118 in Boston

Nate Diaz will be making his second appearance in the UFC’s welterweight division following a lengthy stint at lightweight when he faces off with Marcus Davis at UFC 118.

The UFC made the bout official today for the August 28 event in Boston.

Both fighters are coming off of wins in the Octagon and will be looking to use one another as springboards into the upper crust of the 170 lb. division.

Diaz made his debut in the welterweight division on the heels of a split decision defeat to Gray Maynard at lightweight with an impressive first round TKO over Rory Markham at UFC 111, while “The Irish Hand Grenade” recently rebounded from consecutive defets at the hands of Dan Hardy and Ben Saunders with a second round TKO of Jonathan Goulet during UFC 113.

UFC 118 will be headlined by a lightweight title rematch between Frankie Edgar and B.J. Penn, while Randy Couture is expected to welcome James Toney to MMA in the co-headliner.

• MickeyC says:

Big step up for Diaz. Marcus is a decent size 170. I wonder if Nate will stand with him. Davis has a hell of a chin, should be a good fight.

Should be a good fight…
    Hoping not to hear Nick yelling any of his childish banter In the background…I respect the Diaz bro.’s skills but I think there jerk offs.

• stone says:

Diaz all the way over here! And HELL YEAH he’s gonna stand with marcus! Diaz is gonna pepper’em up then submit him. You know how them Diaz bros do it!

• Dufresne says:

If Diaz manages to flat out KO or TKO Davis here I’m going to be very impressed. He looked great against Markham and really seems to be rounding out as a fighter. I would bet that Diaz will get the win by either sub or UD, but both Diaz brothers have surprised me before.

• danw84 says:

Talented or not I simply can not cheer for the Diaz bro’s. I would have LOVED to watch Nate get absolutely destroyed by Penn, but I couldn’t ever cheer against any of his opponents.

I hate the Diaz brothers. Talented as they are, they are absolute punks and wannabe gangsters. I love watching them lose, and I hate how infrequently I get to see it.

• elkymbo says:

Agreed Dan they’re both trash talented or not. They’re the type of guys who are bad for the sport. I’d love to see nate get his head knocked off I’d spray beer everywhere!

• JOEgun says:

Good fight. I like the Diaz bros because theyre never boring in their fights. As far as their attitudes, well, it doesnt really bother me at all. I find it kind of amusing and not serious enough to cause me to be a Diaz hater. I dont agree they’re “bad for the sport”, and I think that statement is quite exagerrated. Marcus Davis would seem to be the physically stronger fighter but as the Diaz brothers have shown, they dont need big muscles to win their fights. In fact Markham looked huge against Nate but Nate made him look like a little kid. Davis needs to fight smart cause Nate is always working and taking advantage of any openings. I think this fight goes to decision but if it doesnt then DIaz by submission of course.

• Makington says:

I personally love the Diaz bros. It’s a pretty well known fact that they’re very cool and relaxed in normal life. I haven’t met them myself but all I hear is how cool they are in person, and they never blow off fans who say hi. As far as fighting goes, they just need to be mad at their opponent. That’s why they talk up the fights and chirp the other guy. I wouldn’t do it personally, but I respect it and think it’s exciting as hell. Not many guys actually back up their words and the Diaz bros definitely do. They’re both ground guys and would go toe to toe with anybody. That’s heart.

As for the fight, the obvious pick is Marcus, but he looked old his past couple of fights. Reach was important in his fight with Saunders, but he was also slower and a little bit weaker than Ben, and that was his first knockout. In his fight with Goulet he arguably lost the first round to a guy who wouldn’t have lasted 10 seconds with him a couple years ago. If those were just bad fights and he comes out in great shape like his old self I think he’ll be a bit sharper than Nate on the feet, and good enough at the ground to avoid a sub to take the UD.

On the other hand, if he comes out looking old again then I can see Nate peppering Marcus all night until he gets an easier sub in the 2nd or 3rd round. Marcus is also a very emotional fighter and I can see Nate talking all the smack he usually does because it will probably get Davis off his game, just like against Hardy.

At this point I’m leaning more towards Diaz, but we’ll see.