Mauricio “Shogun” Rua: I’d fight Anderson Silva; we were never friends

UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva has flirted with the idea of challenging for the light-heavyweight title for some time now, but as long as his good friend Lyoto Machida wore the belt there was little chance of that taking place.

Fortunately, the landscape has changed.

With Mauricio “Shogun” Rua now sitting firmly at the top of the 205 lb. weight class after having knocked the previously undefeated Machida silly at UFC 113, it now appears as though a battle between UFC’s light-heavyweight and middleweight champions is becoming a very realistic possibility.

“We’ve always had a good relationship, but we were never close,” said Shogun in regards to Silva during a recent conversation with Tatame.com. “I’ve always admired Anderson on the gym, but we were never friends… If UFC wanted to, I’d confront Anderson.

“Anderson is a very good guy, had a good technique and conditioning, he’s one of the three best pound for pound, but I’m used to challenges. I’d be a tough fight, but I like tough challenges.”

Rua currently has to focus on rehabilitating from knee surgery that could potentially keep him out of action through October. Once the knee is properly healed Shogun is expected to face off with Rashad Evans for the light-heavyweight title.

Silva is currently deep in training for his UFC 117 middleweight title defense against Chael Sonnen in early August.

A victory by both champions in their next outings could provide all of the ingredients for a championship showdown in the near future.

• manny says:

I would love to see this bout but I think A. Silva needs at least one more win in the 205 division to get the title shot. Once he KO’s Sonnen he’ll be done at MW for awhile and will be focusing at 205.

• JabCrossHook says:

What about Vitor? He’s still the only real possible MW that stands a good chance against Silva. He def. has a more extensive resume than Anderson.

• raker says:

Agreed! The Vitor fight has to happen before a permanent move to LHW. Anderson has been fighting mediocre MW’s for a while and I don’t see the point in moving up before he takes on the most threatening challenger since Hendo.

• bigbadjohn says:

THis wont be popular but I think Chaels got a much better chance than Vitor. Silvas too precise and lnmng armed for any MW to stand with him. snmmeone besides me has gotta sdde that logic, ri ght?

• bigbadjohn says:

Someone* and See* … My bad, dam mobiles!

• bigbadjohn says:

And that was ‘long armed’, i had to text quick my boss was coming

• Lethal Liquid says:

This fights must happen before Anderson’s contract is up. Whether its Rashad or ShoGun I hope he gets to deal with one of these cats in 2011. He doesn’t need another fight at the weight class. He’s already destroyed a former champion at 205.

• Creature says:

I say no title shot 4 silva at 205 until he fights GSP at 170 like he said he wanted 2 do and since Dana was gonna make it happen before Silva embarrassed himself againt maia, give GSP silva 1st

• Niv says:

Everyone always talks about a fight the fans would love to see, that would be near the very top of the list for me.

I think it would be an instant classic that would be talked about for years. I can’t imagine anyone being able to test Silva in so many places that Shogun would.

I’ve said it again and again, my money’s firmly on Shogun I think he’s the guy to take Silva out in devastating fashion.

Man I hope his knees are ok, really got me worried for the guy. I know how tough it is to rebound from knee surgery, I can’t imagine how tough it is while your job is being a professional mma fighter.

• JabCrossHook says:

There’s only a 3 inch difference in reach b/w Vitor and Anderson, that’s not as serious when you consider its for both arms included. So basically an inch and a half on each arm, Vitor is fast and explosive and got a lot more patient than before. He also has the ground game to control A. Silva if he ends up on top. And Vitor has some very vicious GnP (something that Sonnen should learn). Sonnen has no real stand-up game and will really suffer because of it. Vitor has both the ground game and the power and quickness to make a good challenge stand up wise. Its not like Anderson fought any good strikers since Lee Murray. Vitor def. hits harder than Anderson. Silva knocks you out with 30 shots, Vitor only needs one or two to put you in the danger zone.

• Angry Mike says:

If this article is correct, Rua has had yet another knee surgery. If that’s accurate, it had to be after the fight with Machida. How many knee surgeries has Rua had, and how much longer can he continue to fight? Sooner or later opponents will start targeting the bum knees.

• Dufresne says:

If this fight takes place, it needs to be after Silva has fought Chael, and assuming he wins that one Vitor as well. Unless someone comes charging out of the gates in the MW division beating those two will truly clean it out.
    I too think that Vitor has the best chance of beating Silva out of the two MWs remaining. But as much as I like Shogun, I’m not sure he can at LHW. Yes Shogun fought Machida twice and in many minds one both including that nasty KO to get the belt; but Machida’s strength was being elusive. That’s about it. His standup isn’t laser accurate or lightning fast and he almost got caught in a triangle by Tito Ortiz. Anderson on the other hand is dangerous, fast, accurate, AND elusive and I’m not sure Shogun can counter all of those at once.

• Curly Biddles says:

Too bad Sonnen will beat Silva by decision and the excitement for this fight will dwindle. Intrigueing matchup however, and I see Shogun winning by submission.

• LiverPunch says:

I would like to see Silva face, Sonnen then Jones then Belfort then Shogun in july next year. But Vitor and Shogun are going to have to fight and win in the time between now and then.
    I also have a feeling that A.Silva may not be a UFC fighter for a lot longer. Just a feeling.
    Fedor vs A.Silva anyone?

• i would love to see this fight materialize like anybody…but, how many more knee surgeries can shogun handle and reasonably expect to perform? he’s not even 30! i haven’t heard official news as to which knee and severity of the injury, only that it happened during the machida rematch.

I just want to see chael get a beating…that guy is annoying.

• stone says:

Anderson should try to be the 1st to hold both belts… I still wanna see’em fight Nate again, Vitor and GSP… But holy crap, Shogun vs silva would be GRRRREAT!

• MCM says:

This is all great talk, but what happens when Silva looses to Sonnen? Okami and Nate were better on paper than Chael and both were supposed to walk out with a victory. It’s not wise to look passed any fighter in the UFC.

I also think that if A. Silva wants the LHW belt he should permanently move up to 205. There are a ton of 205’ers fighting and earning their shots at the belt and if he wants it he should have to get in line (albeit a short one for him) like everyone else.

But none of that will happen, of course. Cause I agree with LiverPunch, Silva is gonna leave the UFC as soon as his contract is over and go fight Fedor and Roy Jones Jr. for some huge paydays.

• nothing_shank says:

Liver and MCM,
    Prior to the Demian Maia fight Anderson signed a lengthy contract(6-8 fights I believe). That leaves quite a bit of time for him to clean out the 185’ers and still be able to move up to the 205lb division. That extension is why Soares went public with Anderson’s intentto move up to HW eventually. He’s not going anywhere soon unless he opts out of his own contract. Dana’s keeping him on for as long as he can.

• LiverPunch says:

Sorry didn’t know that. Where did you see/hear this?.

• Jstew3785 says:

I’d rather see Shogun vs A. Silva than GSP vs A. Silva. That would one of my dream fights. I don’t think I could pick a winner on that one, I’d just sit back and enjoy.

• nothing_shank says:

It was reported about 2 weeks before the maia fight by yahoo, then the next day on mmajunkie.