Urijah Faber to make bantamweight debut against Takeya Mizugaki in August

The California Kid has a new home.

Urijah Faber, the once dominant king of the WEC’s 145-pound division, will indeed be making a move down to bantamweight, according to MMAWeekly.

Faber’s first opponent will be the always tough Takeya Mizugaki, who will be most remembered for giving then bantamweight champion Miguel Torres his toughest fight at WEC 40. Since then, Mizugaki has picked up victories over Jeff Curran and Rani Yahya, and he dropped a decision loss to Scott Jorgensen.

Faber went 2-2 in his last two fights, but his losses were to Jose Aldo and Mike Brown, past and present champions of the promotion.

• Guthookd says:

This sounds like a great fight, but where will it put Faber? Didn’t his bro just take the strap in the BW division (Benavidez)? Without a belt to pursue I’m not sure I see the point, other than to escape further Also style corporal punishment.

• Guthookd says:

Also style = Aldo style……damn it.

• JabCrossHook says:

Dominick Cruz is BW champ after a “win” against Brian Bowles. Too bad he can’t finish quality opponents.

Best of luck to Faber I really enjoy watching him fight win or lose… I think he may find some success here… either way he is still a draw and an asset to Zuffa.

• Dufresne says:

I enjoy both Faber’s and Mizugaki’s tenacity so this is actually a fight I’m happy to hear about. I say that because, in my mind, Faber is either fading or was neve really as good as we all thought. He lost by KO and decision (granted with injuries) to Mike Brown who was destroyed by Aldo and then KO’d by a runner up from TUF.
    Of course the same thing just happened in the BW division as well.

It kinda makes me think back to the earlier days of the UFC where there would be a dominant champ, but it was mostly because they had a style no one knew how to counter yet (Renzo) or adapted a common style to fit their size/strength (Coleman).

It should be fun to see how the WEC sorts things out in the next few years with the extra exposure bringing more and more tallented fighters in from around the globe.

• Guthookd says:

OK, you’re right JabCross…..the Benavidez fight against Torrez was on the same card. Still though, that puts Faber and Joseph in the same weight class.

• Rich S. says:

Wow, this is a really tough fight for Faber..

I suppose his intensity could catch Mizugaki off guard, other than that it’s a close one for me..

• Lethal Liquid says:

Yet another champion ran out of the division. A king without a kingdom. Faber gonna be the wanderer searching for past glory