TUF 12 begins production in Las Vegas

New York, NY, June 7, 2010 – Twenty-eight of the best up-and-coming lightweight (155 lbs)mixed martial artists from around the world have convened in Las Vegas in pursuit of one goal, to claim the title of the “ULTIMATE FIGHTER” and the guaranteed six-figure contract with the Ultimate Fighting Championship® that comes with it. Production on “The Ultimate Fighter” begins this week.

The 12th season of Spike TV’s popular original series, “The Ultimate Fighter” features two of the mixed martial arts’ biggest stars – UFC welterweight champion Georges “Rush” St-Pierre, and the number one contender to his belt, Josh Koscheck. The two will square off as coaches during the six week ta
ping of the show, and will later meet inside the Octagon™ with the welterweight title on the line at a UFC pay-per-view event.

The new season premieres Wednesday, September 13, 2010 at 10:00 PM ET/PT featuring some of the world’s best unsigned fighters in the lightweight division. St-Pierre first appeared as a trainer on the show during its fourth season, “The Comeback,” while Koscheck was a member of the now historic first season, where he advanced to the semifinals. UFC President Dana White will once again serve as host.

During the 6-week Ultimate Fighter competition, the competitors will endure a grueling regimen of jiu-jitsu, judo, muay thai, karate, boxing and wrestling. The intense competition between the fighters continues after they leave the gym – at The Ultimate Fighter House. These warriors are forced to live with each other, knowing that any day they could be selected to fight each other in the famed UFC Octagon.

In each episode, opponents from each team will be selected to square off in battle, officially weighed in and then, in front of their teammates, coaches, and the Nevada State Athletic Commission, the two combatants face off in two five-minute rounds. At the end of two rounds, if the fight is declared a draw, the two partake in a sudden victory third round.

Spike TV is available in 98.6 million homes and is a division of MTV Networks. MTV Networks, a division of Viacom International Inc.

Should be good… The LW’s may be less likely to gas out in the 2nd…Still think this would have been a good way to introduce shields (IF he does indeed sign w/ UFC)… Always look forward to the Free MMA and it will be funny to see how the even keel GSP deals with the taunting of Kosheck.

• Guthookd says:

Oah man I don’t know if I can watch another episode. I’m starting to just fast forward to the fights now…..but even those are not all to entertaining these days. I hope you’re right Rece and the LWs can keep going for a whole three rounds.

• Angry Mike says:

I’m still a complete whore for TUF. It may be formulaic, predictable, and cliche, but it beats hell out of anything else on at the same time, and I DVR it, anyway. It’s more fun to watch the finale if I’ve watched the regular season fights leading up to the finale.

• Dufresne says:

I think this may be a season where I just watch the fights. This season I’ve watched the entire episodes because I really like Chuck and I think his calm demeanor really adds to the sting of his digs at Tito. Plus, I hate Tito.
    I don’t really see GSP going that route though. Unless Kos somehow manages to get under his skin, which is highly unlikely, he’s probably going to go with the same old “I respect *insert next opponents name here* He’s the toughest test of my career” he always does. I bet he’ll be a pretty good coach though.

I’m just finding it hard to get excited about a show where one coach absolutely dominated the other just 2 years ago at his own game. At least when Chuck did it to Tito, he out struck a GnP fighter.

• elkymbo says:

Gotta admit since they toned down the drinking exploits the show hasn’t been anywhere near as entertaining. They’ve taken away the chance for us to get to know the fighters personality as well. The first few seasons were hilarious now there’s barely a laugh to be had.

• Guthookd says:

That’s true Elk……I dont’ think they’ve even smashed the house this season yet. WTF?

They should do TUF 13 as another “comeback” season and have all the MMA cast -off degenerates looking to make a comeback get an invite into the house… you can even have Dr. Drew stop by every once in a while and have group therapy… Shamrock and Kerr can be coaches… I don’t even think you would need the open bar, maddness will just ensue.

• Dufresne says:

“They should do TUF 13 as another “comeback” season”

Agreed. I liked the comeback season last time. It was fun to see some of the classics like Shonie get on tv and tell some of his stories. Hell, it even produced a UFC champ and definitely sparked renewed interest in several other fighters. There are plenty of folks out there to give another shot.

But please, no Shamrock. I don’t want to see him coach, I don’t want to see him fight, I don’t really want to see him do more than show up at MMA events dressed in a suit looking like an icon and figurehead of the sport.

• MCM says:

Anyone else get the feeling we’re gonna see a ton of takedown attempts this season? I can’t honestly say I’m looking forward to seeing Koschek as a coach, but I’m hooked of TUF aswell, so I’ll watch it.