Brilz not interested in rematch: Nogueira beat me, judges call was the correct one

Although nobody would fault him for disputing a decision many fans consider to be one of the worst decisions of 2010, Jason Brilz has taken a decisively different approach following his razor thin split decision defeat at the hands of Antonio Rogerio Nogueira during UFC 114.

In a recent conversation with Shambala Sports Radio, Brilz went on to reveal that not only does he feel as if Nogueira beat him fair and square, but also that he couldn’t be any less interested in the prospect of a rematch against the highly regarded Brazilian anytime in the near future.

“I don’t like rematches,” said Brilz. “I’ll face whoever Joe Silva would like me to face, and I’m not going to duck anyone, however I’m not going to seek the rematch with Nogueira. He beat me, the judges call was the correct one.”

There are many terms that would do justice in describing Jason Brilz – gritty, dangerous, talented – but sore loser is definitely not one of them.

If there was a bit of a bad taste left in Brilz’ mouth following the split decision defeat suffered at the hands of Lil Nog, it wasn’t anything a fat “Fight of the Night” paycheck hasn’t helped to remedy.

Brilz performance last Saturday evening in Las Vegas was one of those rare instances in MMA where the defeated fighter actually came out of the bout with a definitive victory.

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

Brilz won that fight-although it was very competitive

Yeah I wouldn’t rematch him either… not like a belt is on the line, plus he knows in his heart the loss he took was just a formality on an otherwise successful outing.

• Rich S. says:

I suppose Brilz won, but, after knowing Nog won, and then watching the fight again, I can see how a split decision in his favor is in the slightest bit justifiable.

I wouldn’t rematch the guy either. He hit Nog with some serious bombs and submissions and still couldn’t finish him. And I doubt he could control him for three more rounds.. But, he has secured his spot in this division for now, so that’s good for him.

• Spoken says:

my respect for brilz is increasing by the day. truth is tho, i agree with him. despite being a razor-thin decision, nogueira had the edge. imo, the ground control goes to nog (rnds 1 and 3), aggression is a dead heat, and standup goes to nog by an unbelievably thin margin in rnds 1 and 3 as well. “octagon control” is a strange term. i see it as who controls their opponent more effectively overall. in that case, it again goes to nog. his hip escapes negated brilz takedowns, his sweeps established ground control, his sub attempts kept him active, and his boxing was marginally more consistent. i think brilz took the 2nd in every aspect, but couldnt stay consistent enough to take 1 or 3. if you look at the fight as a whole, i can give it to brilz, but ufc is round by round, which gives nog the edge.. strange how that works.

• stone says:

Brilz won’t take a rematch n I don’t blame him… We all know Nog is a better fighter. Now we know Lil Nog is just as talented but yet inconsistent as his brother! Lil Nog’s ground game was crap that night, he lost n got a BS win! Bet Bones Jones is wishin he took that fight after all! Bones would’ve slayed him! NEVER TURN A FIGHT DOWN, BONES! He could’ve been in “title talks” instead of “janitor” talks!

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

Absolutely Stone-although I think Brilz would have surprised Jones also

• Dr.Stoppage says:

Brilz may not interested in seeking a rematch,but if Joe Silva (matchmaker extroardinaire) wants it,it will happen.I wanna see it,but mainly I just wanna see Brilz fight again.

• slammy862 says:

The picture you have of Big Nog getting punched is giving me nightmares.

• slammy862 says: